Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, penguin said:

Yes I was mostly referring to substitutions, I appreciate the face it's not really viable in football to make wholesale tactical changes to existing personal.

West Ham and Brighton I think we waited far too late to bring on an additional attacker and Arsenal were all over us 2nd half with 10 men and the decision was to make no change, until they took the lead and we bought on 2 CMs leaving our striker on the bench. Yesterday we just couldn't keep hold of the ball 2nd half; Nakamba was very sloppy seemed an obvious swap with Hourihane and Trez faded badly would have swapped for Anwar to try and gain some composure and possession but the call was to keep things the same.

Of course these are all subjective and opinion but I do think we attempt to stick with what isn't working for too long, that said whilst just looking through our previous game information I will have to admit my point is tainted by confirmation bias on this and also have to concede the fact we don't exactly have quality on the bench doesn't help matters either.

Great follow up post.

I think you are attempting to be objective where you can be whilst acknowledging that is limited in it's ability to be so, and certainly carries on to opinion.

Seeing as I was a bit quick to defend Smith, I'll balance it out with agreement that I too was concerned about the 2nd half at Burnley.

In fact I was fearful after conceding being an away game. Don't think Hourihane for Marvelous would be a good substitution though.

I think there was an element of satisfaction with a 2 goal cushion and instead of playing as we usually do, committing men forward in a 4-3-3..

We opted for the approach of protecting that two goal lead by giving up territory but solidifying defensive positions and stance.

Not a terrible move with 3 centre backs and 2 center midfielders capable of sitting deep in a holding role protecting threats down the middle, and 2 full backs covering wide.

Burnley honestly had nothing and albeit that had as much to do with them lacking as our strength, we saw the game out as winners.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think it'll be a miracle if we stay up. Most of the signings have just not been good enough.

Losing Heaton is too much, genuine match winner.

Happy New Year everyone.

Yet we’re not bottom 3. Agree about Heaton tho. Game changer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think it'll be a miracle if we stay up. Most of the signings have just not been good enough.

Losing Heaton is too much, genuine match winner.

Happy New Year everyone.

I too think it will be tough, because, I think Watford will get out of it.

I think Dean has a lot to learn, particularly about this league.

He is fortunate, he has affluent owners, but he needs to spend wisely.

I am happy for him to carry on learning and improving our team, personally, I will wait and watch with interest.

I seen snippets of Nous at Turf Moor, but there is some way to go for me.

ps I think the club need 1 really decent signing to keep Jack happy.....He is literally carrying us and its not fair on him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 14:41, sheepyvillian said:

He's certainly more dependable. 

trouble is .....form from both is so fickle, you could change your mind from week to week.

both are not good enough IMO

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Clubs like Newcastle, Burnley and possible Brighton & Sheff U will get sucked in thou.

Still be difficult to stay up of course.

I'm almost certain that we will finish above Newcastle.  That doesn't necessarily mean we are staying up but we were so much better than them when we beat them that over a whole season I reckon we will be better off.  It's hard to turn around a Bruce juggernaut when it starts going tits up and they've had a shit Christmas.

• Like 1

Newcastle and Burnley have some difficult fixtures coming up, but we've said similar about other clubs in the past and they done okay. If they do go on losing streaks we've got to make sure we take advantage by picking up our share of points as well.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

trouble is .....form from both is so fickle, you could change your mind from week to week.

both are not good enough IMO

I think Taylor is more consistent. He doesn't pull up any trees, but he gets far too much stick than he deserves. I'm not one for criticising for the sake of it, which seems to be the case a lot of the time when it comes to Taylor, imo, anyway. 

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm almost certain that we will finish above Newcastle.  That doesn't necessarily mean we are staying up but we were so much better than them when we beat them that over a whole season I reckon we will be better off.  It's hard to turn around a Bruce juggernaut when it starts going tits up and they've had a shit Christmas.

I would suggest refraining from making conclusions like that based on a single game. At the end of the day, despite us easily beating them, there's a reason they're higher than us in the table at the moment. A team can appear better than any other team on a given day, it doesn't always tell which team is better over a whole season.

Newcastle have committed some utter burglaries this season to be fair. Whilst on the whole I’d say we’ve been fairly unlucky with VAR decisions and late goals etc. I wouldn’t read too much in to the fact they are above us at the moment, they are an awful side.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think Taylor is more consistent. He doesn't pull up any trees, but he gets far too much stick than he deserves. I'm not one for criticising for the sake of it, which seems to be the case a lot of the time when it comes to Taylor, imo, anyway. 

It depends where anyone wants to set the bar....I'm all for progression.

When I look at The Liverpool full backs, I know we are a long, long way away......not expecting ours to be the same, but we have to have a benchmark to aim for.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

It depends where anyone wants to set the bar....I'm all for progression.

When I look at The Liverpool full backs, I know we are a long, long way away......not expecting ours to be the same, but we have to have a benchmark to aim for.

But, my point was out of the two left backs we have, imo, Taylor is more dependable. 

Taken from the match thread. I think all the coaching staff has proven to be utterly out of the depth. 

I have never known a Villa side so loose on the ball even under Bruce and Mcleish.

We are so sloppy so half arsed. What do we do in training? What games this season have we dominated the ball?

Even Brighton with 10 ran us ragged.

We are shite utter shite. For a supposed football man Dean Smith is taking the piss serving up this shit every week. Keeping the ball and moving should be bread and butter.

We are abject. One man recieves the ball everyone else just stands still and waits for the hoof.

Nobody works for each other nobody does hard yards to provide an option, nobody runs to provide an outlet and nobody presses together.

Shit. Utter shit.

Â