Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not a flip flop like certain fans are. I'm not reactionary. Won't change my view based on 1 game.

Smith has not shown anywhere that he is able to organize a defense. That's why i'm still Smith out.

Buzzing with the win but still massively concerned.

You have been Smith Out since he was appointed in fairness.

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

All of them look comfortable except for Hause who had some issues when placed under pressure. I would feel more comfortable with a Konsa, Engels, Mings back line and Hause as the first alternate. 

Another thing to like about the back 3. Nakamba and Douglas looked good together. They never did with the 4-3-3. Another reason we were pretty solid for most of the game. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Farlz said:

EXCELLENT!!!!!

Honestly, i reckon they had a "team crisis" meeting, and i would bet £10 they players actually had a part in proposing the new system & Deano agreed, for some reason i highly doubt this change was 100% deanos idea.

Not playing Deanos input down, good man for the change and sure he played a big part, credit where its due.

But just saying i also reckon the players had input, would bet some money on it, looking at recent performances i honestly think the players didnt have confidence in the 4-3-3 they were playing.

1 hour ago, Graham t said:

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. Brain Clough was the greatest manager of all time. I will take his opinion over yours if you don't mind, embarrassing .......

Think your quote was from Bill Shankly not Brian Clough!

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Life line for him I think. First half Dyche wasn't expecting a change in tactics. Second half, standard Smith resumes, as someone mentioned inplay management none existent, though players proved they have what it takes to stay up with the help of Grealish, still unsure weather Smith should be here all season, next game will be telling.

During the first half we dominated, so where was the in play management from Dyke? Second half they improved, which is common in many games no matter which teams are involved. 

I know we have been particularly vulnerable in the second half of games, particularly early in the half, but at the moment I’d say it’s as much a confidence problem as anything else. 

I don’t think we can say we’ve turned a corner after one good result and a better overall performance, but small steps and all that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Totally agree, but I think that was more down to experience and confidence on the pitch, rather than mis-management. 

He was screaming at them to keep the ball, but when confidence is low and you’re holding on to a narrow lead, pressure tends to get the better of players. 

I fully expected Burnley to come out firing in that 2nd half, just as I’d have expected a reaction from us had it been the other way around. 

Even though we were on the back foot 2nd half, we still had a couple of chances to put the game to bed and looked decent on the break. 

It was an almost perfect away performance in many ways. 

A lot is talked about in game management, but once the players are out on the pitch, the manager’s influence is significantly reduced. Once they cross the line it’s largely down to players to react to things that happen during the game. Ok the manager can make subs but wholesale tactical changes rarely happen or work.

The micro management is down to players and this is where experienced players can make a big difference. This is probably what we have missed most this season and the reason we’ve dropped points we perhaps shouldn’t have. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

All of them look comfortable except for Hause who had some issues when placed under pressure. I would feel more comfortable with a Konsa, Engels, Mings back line and Hause as the first alternate. 

Another thing to like about the back 3. Nakamba and Douglas looked good together. They never did with the 4-3-3. Another reason we were pretty solid for most of the game. 

Probably because his out ball was neil taylor tbf

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

EXCELLENT!!!!!

Honestly, i reckon they had a "team crisis" meeting, and i would bet £10 they players actually had a part in proposing the new system & Deano agreed, for some reason i highly doubt this change was 100% deanos idea.

Not playing Deanos input down, good man for the change and sure he played a big part, credit where its due.

But just saying i also reckon the players had input, would bet some money on it, looking at recent performances i honestly think the players didnt have confidence in the 4-3-3 they were playing.

time stamp of saying the manager/staff had a long meeting after Watford, interesting.

46 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I thought Hause had a good game, understood the system, and was better in possession than usual. There were a few occasions when he found himself in a bit of trouble from holding on to the ball too long, but he didn't panic - clearing it down the line or into touch if necessary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I thought Hause had a good game, understood the system, and was better in possession than usual. There were a few occasions when he found himself in a bit of trouble from holding on to the ball too long, but he didn't panic - clearing it down the line or into touch if necessary.

Agreed has come one leaps and bounds

• Like 1

I was Smith Out after that Watford performance, it was dreadful and I couldn’t see how he’d keep us up - but credit where it’s due for finally changing the system.

We’re in with a fighting chance of beating relegation and in the LC semi-final. Let’s hope he can kick on from here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

Much better today. Hopefully Dean learns from it and we see more halves like the first today.

Fair play Jim, I know you’re not Dean Smith’s biggest fan, but you give credit when due. Which to be honest hasn’t been due much in the last few weeks. Hopefully he keeps it up now. Along with the rest of them. 

• Like 1

Â