Dean Smith

Demitri_C

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hearing him talk and seeing some of the changes in a short time, just adds to my opinion that xia was an idiot. 

Sticking with bruce was a shocking decision. Wasted 2 years. 

If you go by the grapevine, Xia actually wanted shot of him quite some time ago, and he was actually a Wyness/Round man.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, swollef said:

Early days i know, but what pleased me ,was that when we had a throw in we threw it to one of ours in space,instead of looping it up the line,and loosing it..

Yes i'm easily pleased 

I noticed this too. It also pleased me to see our wide players pass it back and keep possession instead of  swinging aimless hopeful balls in to box. 

Could this really become the norm...?

• Like 1

I said it the other day, it was a breath of fresh air to hear a manager not talk the normal cliches, as some have already commented, Smith is more anaylitical and has a strong coaching methodology.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like to hear what he is getting the players to do tactically, they obviously targeted a couple of players, 'setting traps', and great to see the team with a plan and execute that plan.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I noticed this too. It also pleased me to see our wide players pass it back and keep possession instead of  swinging aimless hopeful balls in to box. 

Could this really become the norm...?

Well the brentford lad in the interview on villa view said expect teams to become frustrated with not having the ball, he was that confident Dean would come here and do better because of the quality we had to there team.

Sound like Dean worked amazing at brentford with next to nothing and built his rep up from tough work, grafting his team from dust, imagine what he could do at villa.

Then I came across Henry's first game and it was a loss and think glad our owners didn't go for him, Thank you for choosing an experienced manager who has clawed his way to this job, he deserves every bit of success Dean does:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/thierry-henry-suffers-defeat-first-13451156.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Just imagine If Dean does get us back in the premier, the new regime will be heroes and the owners would give Dean a blank cheque I think,but im getting ahead of myself and its still early days. Im just excited by Dean to the point i have not felt like this since brian little, john gregory,Ron Atkinson days and feel the vibes more under Dean, it's his time to make his name,for our players under Dean to shine and make teams dread the thought of playing Aston Villa UTV!!!

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 3

Having not watched the game, and only going on what is being written about, is it reasonable to assume that Smith’s first game was our best performance of the season so far (not much to choose from admittedly)?

Is there a game from the past season or two which was similar just so I have a vague idea on how decent the performance was?

16 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Having not watched the game, and only going on what is being written about, is it reasonable to assume that Smith’s first game was our best performance of the season so far (not much to choose from admittedly)?

Is there a game from the past season or two which was similar just so I have a vague idea on how decent the performance was?

To be fair I would have to try and remember our games to be sure if I would go that far, because we did have flashes of performances this season with Bruce.

What I WOULD say, is that you could really see there was a PLAN, we aren't quite fluid with it yet, so it was disjointed at times.

Ball was only hoofed when necessary, more attempts to keep it on the floor.

Alot of chances wasted, but CREATED!

The signs are very good, and all our players are not even up to speed or in the rhythim yet.

Oh, and attacking or like for like subs, before the 75th minute, instead of a display of our defensive talent to defend the 1-0.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

did we really pass the ball?....really?, i started to get confused when i looked up in the air and didnt see a white circular thing there permanently! :), i started to wonder if i was seeing things (but not seeing things) :P

Super happy with the result though, you can see what they are trying to do, and when the players get settled with the tactic it should be quite something to see.

Interested to see how he may rotate the team with the upcoming games, wonder how Bree, El Ghazi, Hourihane and others will fare if they get their chance.

Edited by MaVilla

The first half was the most complete performance our squad has given in a long time.  Dominated possession, looked threatening every time the ball moved forward, and our defenders quickly won the ball back before Swansea could do anything with it.  Unfortunately, as good as the first half was, the 2nd looked more like the Villa we've watched under Bruce and were lucky to come away with all 3 points there.  It's still a remarkable improvement on things.  I'm really looking forward to what Smith can do with the team over the next few months.  Hopefully fitness levels go up and the whole team continues to look more comfortable in possession.  It's early days, but things are headed in the right direction.  UTV!!!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It was maybe our best performance but not because we were so good. But more because we’ve been so bad.  There’s still a lot of work to be done.

It was not as good as Brentford at home first half. But in that game we turned to shit in the second half whereas yesterday we held. 

The standard and work rate of each player was very good and if there was any player not meeting that level it stood out. Which is why players like Kodija and Bolasie aren’t going to last at this club if their work rate and attitude doesn’t change. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

did we really pass the ball?....really?, i started to get confused when i looked up in the air and didnt see a white circular thing there permanently! :), i started to wonder if i was seeing things (but not seeing things) :P

Super happy with the result though, you can see what they are trying to do, and when the players get settled with the tactic it should be quite something to see.

Interested to see how he may rotate the team with the upcoming games, wonder how Bree, El Ghazi, Hourihane and others will fare if they get their chance.

I think Bree and Hourihane will be fine. From what I’ve seen of El Ghazi so far I think he will struggle. Seems too unfit to play the way Smith demands.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was maybe our best performance but not because we were so good. But more because we’ve been so bad.  There’s still a lot of work to be done.

It was not as good as Brentford at home first half. But in that game we turned to shit in the second half whereas yesterday we held. 

The standard and work rate of each player was very good and if there was any player not meeting that level it stood out. Which is why players like Kodija and Bolasie aren’t going to last at this club if their work rate and attitude doesn’t change. 

What’s wrong with their attitudes?! Poor Bolasie has barely played! 

Â