Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I personally would rather stick with Smith even if we are in danger of relegation which I think  is a strong possibility.

Unfortunately the money we are spending on transfers (100 million plus)means relegation would be a financial disaster.

I don’t think the owners can allow that to happen.This means Smith is under a a lot of pressure to start our PL campaign well.

I have mixed feelings about the money we are spending ,on one hand we could be a strong mid table team but it means 3 or 4 defeats in a row and people will start questioning Smith.The media will also use this to criticise Smith and Villa.

Part of me would prefer a lower transfer spend which accepts relegation as a possibility and would allow time for Smith to rebuild again in the championship if the worst happened.

Edited by Londonastonvilla

30 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I personally would rather stick with Smith even if we are in danger of relegation which I think  is a strong possibility.

Unfortunately the money we are spending on transfers (100 million plus)means relegation would be a financial disaster.

I don’t think the owners can allow that to happen.This means Smith is under a a lot of pressure to start our PL campaign well.

I have mixed feelings about the money we are spending ,on one hand we could be a strong mid table team but it means 3 or 4 defeats in a row and people will start questioning Smith.The media will also use this to criticise Smith and Villa.

Part of me would prefer a lower transfer spend which accepts relegation as a possibility and would allow time for Smith to rebuild again in the championship if the worst happened.

I know where you are coming from but the club has to go for it. 

I really hope we never hear the phrase ‘doing a Fulham’ during the season. 

But I think with the high energy we will play with we will shock a lot of teams.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

• Targett:
    • Describes him as "challenging Neil Taylor for that left back spot" - says he wants challenges in every position..

Obviously a lot of this stuff is just diplomacy, and don't want to read too much into it... but to me it suggested that Jota is going to be starting 11, and that Targett may not be. Also that Wesley is going to fit right in. Exciting times.

I think the bit about Targett is just diplomacy.  If he isn't better than Taylor and therefore a guaranteed starter then we might as well have had a bonfire in a field of £12m worth of ten pounds notes.

• Like 2

the office no GIF

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

• Targett:
    • Describes him as "challenging Neil Taylor for that left back spot" - says he wants challenges in every position.

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Risso said:

I think the bit about Targett is just diplomacy.  If he isn't better than Taylor and therefore a guaranteed starter then we might as well have had a bonfire in a field of £12m worth of ten pounds notes.

Precisely. Before anyone says it, Taylor did improve in line with the general uplift in results last year, but he isn't good enough for the Premier League. Delighted we've replaced him with Targett and will instantly fear the worst, if he gets injured or sent off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Both Smith and O'kelly have spoke really highly of Jota. 

I'm excited to see what he can do. Imagine the reaction from down the road if he starts performing well in the prem. Hilarious. 

Are you forgetting they took Gardner off us?  Imagine how we'll all feel when he makes the Championship team of the season!!  :D

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

I think he was being diplomatic with the Targett/Taylor bit. I don’t think you spend 11mil on him if you don’t intend on him taking the spot, but Taylor should know he has a chance if he performs well 

I generally agree, but £11m isn't much in today's market, and my mate who's a Saints fan reckons Targett isn't a guaranteed improvement on Taylor, at least in the short term. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I generally agree, but £11m isn't much in today's market, and my mate who's a Saints fan reckons Targett isn't a guaranteed improvement on Taylor, at least in the short term. Make of that what you will.

I make of it that they’re wrong and they haven’t witnessed first hand how crap Taylor has been for the majority of his Villa career.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â