Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Still have my concerns.

This is a new experience for the entire coaching staff. They've never managed at this level before.

As fans who care deeply about the success of our club but can’t be absolutely sure how this, or any, season will go, it’s natural to be concerned. It doesn’t contradict 100% support for Smith.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Still have my concerns.

This is a new experience for the entire coaching staff. They've never managed at this level before.

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple". (Bill Shankly) 

• Like 3

The optimism around the club, the transfer and recruitment policy, the signings, the pre-season games.....all fantastic.....

.........but I would still snap your hand off if offered 17th this season.

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Still have my concerns.

Completely legitimate concerns, but interested to know if you have seen anything particular that worries you or it's just a feeling?

Not criticising if it is just a feeling, most of my football judgements are 70% feeling, 30% objectivity.

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Still have my concerns.

Smith must have serious nosebleed since he got over that 9th spot barrier he had at Brentford :rolleyes:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Still have my concerns.

Concerns shared by Barca with Pep and Luis Enrique and Madrid with Zidane obviously  😒😒

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Still have my concerns.

Looks like you won't stop concern trolling until he wins the CL with us and then the WC with England.

• Like 1

I would like the club to come out and say that Dean Smith has a job at the start of the season following this one, no matter what league we are in. It would be great for him to work knowing that he's not under that pressure of losing this - his - Villa job.

Nobody needs to tell Dean Smith how important it is to keep this club up - he bleeds claret and blue. His own passion for the club and the fans will be all the reminders he needs to keep us up and do well. 

I cannot wait to see where this club is in 5 years time. It's going to be some journey. 

29 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I would like the club to come out and say that Dean Smith has a job at the start of the season following this one, no matter what league we are in. It would be great for him to work knowing that he's not under that pressure of losing this - his - Villa job.

Nobody needs to tell Dean Smith how important it is to keep this club up - he bleeds claret and blue. His own passion for the club and the fans will be all the reminders he needs to keep us up and do well. 

I cannot wait to see where this club is in 5 years time. It's going to be some journey. 

Why would they do that? Getting relegated with our squad quality and the outlay this window would be a catastrophic failure.

33 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

The club would be stupid to say such a thing. There is no expectation to do well then. What if things go catastrophically wrong, and they have to act, they then get criticism from media for not following their words. What if some top manager decides he wants a new challenge and the opportunity comes up to hire him (Southampton pochettino situation etc). 

David Moyes, Pardew etc were all given massive contracts at Utd and Newcastle and failed. 

Smith knows what he has to do, and knows that if he getting results he keeps his job. The board don’t need to announce that

I love the guy. In the 30 odd years I've followed Villa I've hoped for a manager with a long term plan to build a young exciting team. Given that i think Dean is that man, there is no way on earth I'm going to let shortermism (is that even a word) cloud my judgement. 

Even if we go down I'd still back the guy. 

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Completely legitimate concerns, but interested to know if you have seen anything particular that worries you or it's just a feeling?

Not criticising if it is just a feeling, most of my football judgements are 70% feeling, 30% objectivity.

Not criticizing the coaching staff, just concerned. Especially with all these signings that needs to settle.

That being said we didn't really have a choice with all the players we lost and at least we still have a core in the team from last season (Mings, McGinn and Grealish)those will be important.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Not criticizing the coaching staff, just concerned. Especially with all these signings that needs to settle.

That being said we didn't really have a choice with all the players we lost and at least we still have a core in the team from last season (Mings, McGinn and Grealish)those will be important.

the fact is, we needed to sign all these players, we didnt have a choice, but i can tell you now im super glad with what we have signed, compared to what we might have signed under "different" management.

We just need to put faith in the team and stick with em through the ups and downs that we will defo have this season.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

We just need to put faith in the team and stick with em through the ups and downs that we will defo have this season.

Yeah and keep our heads calm during christmas. Look at what happened with Fulham when they sacked Jokanovic. Total collapse.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think we have the quality, but you’re right getting them to settle will be the tricky. Some were loans turned permanent, others have played under Dean before and the others have fellow internationals or have played together before (Club Brugge). I think we’ve a better chance than most of getting them to gel and a lot of the faith I have is in Dean Smith and Jack being captain.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Yeah and keep our heads calm during christmas. Look at what happened with Fulham when they sacked Jokanovic. Total collapse.

oh yeah, totally, we need to stick with DS even if we get relegated imo, we need to stick with him and the project.

im fairly confident we wont get relegated, but still.......the principle stands, imo DS needs to be given time to build a mini dynasty here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I think Purslow is sensible enough to know this

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

So...  I take it Deano has finally won you over?

Â