Dean Smith

Demitri_C

21 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I've never really understood the phrase "he gets the club". Does it just mean they care a little bit more than managers usually do about its short and long term fate? Because with a few exceptions surely all football clubs are basically the same, because working class football fans are working class football fans? 

It means he has the powers of Brentfords System.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I get where you’re coming from, but how many teams have fan bases that say ‘defensive football, wasting time, kicking the opponents in the nuts when the refs not looking, long speculative balls over the top to a clod-hopping journeyman, thats what we’re about. That’s the **** FC way’. 

Except Wimbledon, obviously.

All fans think that there is a historical imperative at their club to play the best football ‘the world has ever seen’.

And Leeds.

And Blues.

🙂

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

And Leeds.

And Blues.

🙂

Stoke deserve a mention, which of course brings up the subject of Mr Pulis and anyone he manages. Then it would be remiss to leave out the future Newcastle manager who will certainly arrive with his boots on and socks fully extended to the knee. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, villaluke said:

what fake quotes?

Can't be bothered to look. Still of Dean Smith with big bold text on saying WE DON'T JUST WANT TO BEAT OUR OPPONENTS WE WANT TO DESTROY THEM AND GRIND THEM TO DUST

• Like 2

The thing with Dean, he is not chasing rainbows of a personal nature....sure he is grateful for the job of his dreams, but he is grounded and still holds on to his roots.....I don't know where he lives but I would imagine it to be in contrast to big time football managers.

Paul Lambert for instance lived in a c£2 mill mansion in four oaks, it was kinda typical.......rewards before the prizes.

I don't know if Dean will eventually succumb to the trappings of success, but my hunch is, he will want to earn it first......Dean has one focus and he has it all the right way around for me.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The thing with Dean, he is not chasing rainbows of a personal nature....sure he is grateful for the job of his dreams, but he is grounded and still holds on to his roots.....I don't know where he lives but I would imagine it to be in contrast to big time football managers.

Paul Lambert for instance lived in a c£2 mill mansion in four oaks, it was kinda typical.......rewards before the prizes.

I don't know if Dean will eventually succumb to the trappings of success, but my hunch is, he will want to earn it first......Dean has one focus and he has it all the right way around for me.

No fancy pockets to do the texting for our Deano 😎

• Haha 1

Regardless of how our season goes. I look forward to watching the players develop the next few years under Smith. 

Quite a lot of our senior players improved after he'd been here a few months. 

El Ghazis and Hourihanes defensive contributions were lacking, and seemed to go unaddressed during under Bruce's reign. Yet during the dry spell we had under Smit while Jack was out. It looked like both Hourihanes and El Ghazi changed how they addressed the game defensively and improved a lot in that aspect. 

You could also argue that Taylor, Elmo and Whelan improved overall, or at least he got a lot more out of them. Jack and McGinn also became more effective in terms of goals and assists. 

With all this young, up and coming talent coming into the squad. I'm intrigued to observe what he'll be able achieve in terms of their development 

• Like 2

If we lost 8 out of our first 10 games it would be interesting to see what the fans and owners are saying about Smith then.

Being honest he';s still an unproven quantity really. I've seen a lot of chatter on other teams forums saying that if we are around the bottom at Christmas they would expect him to be sacked, being honest they might be right.

I'm of the impression that he gets the season regards of what happens, doing a Fulham in terms of sacking manger that quickly really shouldn't be an option, maybe this is the one we have to give 3 years minimum to and see what happens, through the rough and smooth.

• Like 3

I think it's imperative we are patient this season. Even if we lose 10 matches in a row we are in a position where we have a TON (literally) of new players (come august) and they need time to get it right. 

When Deano took charge he implemented a new system and we saw a new manager bounce. We had a rough patch after Christmas and people gew impatient, I was probably one of them so I won't claim any moral ground here, but in the end we got it right and had the longest winning streak in the history of the club. Patience and continuety gets you far in football if you believe you have the right setup with the right head coach, and I think we do.

It's also worth considering where we were 12 months ago and where we are today. My local team has a club motto of brick by brick and I think this applies to Villa atm. Baby steps. (Un)fortunately we took one giant step last season and probably got promoted ahead of schedule. The rebuild we had to do suddenly came in the PL instead of the Championship and that's a double edged sword. But keep the faith and we will stay in the PL, then continue the progress season after season. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

If we lost 8 out of our first 10 games it would be interesting to see what the fans and owners are saying about Smith then.

Being honest he';s still an unproven quantity really. I've seen a lot of chatter on other teams forums saying that if we are around the bottom at Christmas they would expect him to be sacked, being honest they might be right.

I'm of the impression that he gets the season regards of what happens, doing a Fulham in terms of sacking manger that quickly really shouldn't be an option, maybe this is the one we have to give 3 years minimum to and see what happens, through the rough and smooth.

I hope we do stick with Dean in the event the worst happens (relegation). If we did i think it would have to be based on the trends we're seeing.  Have we made the right signings, is team morale apparently ok,  is the team developing a play style that most want to see, did we suffer injuries and actually look ok when fully fit,  did we take a while to settle but start performing towards the end of the season.

If the above isn't the case,  then it's hard to see any scenario where he keeps the job, although I find it hard to see a scenario where Dean isn't on the right course ...

Enough with the negativity though, we'll be top half come Christmas and top by March ;)

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Reminds me of John Gregory. I liked him. He was Villa through and through and was also pretty grounded.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

If I am to believe my Dad, he lives in a pretty ordinary family house just off the Aldridge Road in Streetly. Most definitely not the house of a rich man!

My dad is probably completely wrong though, so don't put too much faith in this.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'd stick with Dean through thick and thin.

I'd rather us go down than bring in a Pulis or Allardyce to try and keep us up.

I think we will stay up comfortably anyway.

Fair play mate and I 100% agree. (Unless we were a complete shambles and rock bottom of the league with no signs of progress).

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Who knows what is going to happen but it would be nice to have some stability in the club and we ride through the thick and thins with a manager for a few years and build something.  Football is all about what is happening now which is a problem of the modern age but I hope (unless a complete disaster) that we stick with Dean whatever this season.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

I'd stick with Dean through thick and thin.

I'd rather us go down than bring in a Pulis or Allardyce to try and keep us up.

I think we will stay up comfortably anyway.

100% agree. Smith is trying to try change the whole culture of the club into something we have craved for years. Because of his attack minded approach i suspect we may take a few hidings this season (although i still think we'll stay up), hopefully the fans see the bigger picture when/if those accur. 

I really hope we don't panic if things get a bit sticky because i genuinely believe Smith is going to build something special here. 

Â