Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 13/06/2019 at 00:28, TRO said:

but surely, every formation morphs, from one thing to another, during a game.

Do you mean from boring to very boring ? Sorry TRO but you did set this one up 👍🏻😀

• Like 1

On 19/06/2019 at 05:14, Villan_of_oz said:

I agree with your point, but I feel it's a bit unfair in Birkir. He was a decent squad player imo often played out of position, always put in a shift and scored a few handy goals for us.

Have we released him or is he still in the squad...? 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

pssst : We got promoted!

party dancing GIF

Must have took ages to put all that together.  

However well done Dean,  yes we got promoted. 

Edited by dubbs

At least with DS, NSWE, Purslow etc, although im sure they arent perfect, they have implemented a modern structure at the club, and committed to playing modern football, with modern players and ensuring the club can operate properly.

So in closing, im happy we didnt get promoted under Bruce, not because i hold any animosity for Bruce, he seemed a decent bloke who tried his best, but him and Xia falling down, in hindsight, was some of the best things to happen to this club in prob 10-15 years. Not because it was all Bruce's fault, it wasnt, but what happened finally allowed the club to start rectifying what had been wrong with the club for literally a decade.

The Bruce/Xia era for me, was was like the tail end of a long, insidious illness, they werent the cause or the bulk of it, but they were part of the overall sickness our club had, and now (hopefully), we are in recovery.

Edited by blandy
Removed quoted off topic post and response to that, sorry
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’m sure he got a nice bonus and hefty rise upon promotion .... I’d personally wait to see how he settles in the Prem before extending his deal... I reckon around Xmas would be good a good time if  team are performing well.. I have little doubt he will continue his success with us but I think it would be prudent not lumbering the club with a long term contract if worse case scenario he doesn’t do well... Tin hat on .... 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Right now there are far more pressing things to focus on like the transfer window, players contracts and pre-season but I really would like Smith to get a new deal asap.

The job he has done has been remarkable, not faultless of course but who is, yet he has turned this club around. Now with the help of the owners he has a chance to rebuild as a Premier League side and move forward for the first time in about 12 years.

I think what he has done deserves a new contract and I’d like to see him have that security and for Villa to commit to him. We need stability, we need to be united and we need to be fully behind Smith even when we have inevitable runs of poor results this season.

I hope he gets the contract he deserves.

Agreed. Smith is someone that build for long term so I I'd want him here even if we came straight back down.

He met his objective a year ahead of schedule so he definitely needs to be rewarded for it. 

It’s now time for the second more difficult task of us keeping us up and establishing us in the top flight. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He met his adjective a year ahead of schedule so he definitely needs to be rewarded for it. 

It’s now time for the second more difficult task of is keeping us up and establishing us in the top flight. 

Was it one of these ? It usually is......but this time one of the good ones !!

3B770C89-C8AC-43B0-BB73-AD9C6A2B61FD.jpeg

Edited by terrytini
  • Haha 1

Everyone wanted Bruce out at the end and to be replaced by  a younger more proactive coach(we got that). One who could improve players preparing us for the future whilst playing attractive attacking football(we got that). 

I had my doubts about him but not as many as some and more than others when he first arrived. I also doubted him slightly when we hit our rocky patch, when Jack was out as it was evident at the time we lacked spark and he seemed to run out of ideas. However what has transpired since has led me to believe he is the right manager for us. With a bit of luck the team strengthened at the right time allowing us to start playing the way we were before injuries interrupted the season. Smith and the backroom staff addressed the issues somewhat at the back and the free flowing sometimes cavalier football returned. Only this time there was a different feel about it all. Like a coming together of everyone involved in the club. The rest as they say is history. 

What has been most evident for me though since he arrived is the fact that he is probably the first manager since Brian Little and maybe MON to a degree, that actually gets the club and our footballing identity. We have had so many pretenders, idiots and wasters come through the doors over the last decade and more, we need to be in safe hands for this next stage. I think he provides that and even if, as I anticipate, we have a rocky existence at times for the next couple of years while we transition, I wouldn't trust many managers other than Smith to put the correct building blocks in place for the club to progress over the next 10 years or more.

I could drone on all day and break down why?! The fact of the matter is that, he's one of us and he gets what we need to do and where we need to go. Where we all as Villan's want to be. He's a well respected elite coach(fact) that has spent many years learning his trade and increasing his knowledge for this moment, at this time and with his and our club. He deserves a contract to reflect not only this but our faith in him.  

• Like 3

Â