Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, hippo said:

How many managers take over mid season ...and get promotion that same season....I can only think of Roy Keane at Sunderland.

I wasnt convinced by DS for a long time. But having turned that around...held his nerve with injuries and through the play offs..there no knowing where he could take us.

You could see in those wembley celebrations, when DS wanted to say a few words.. the players instantly switched into professional mode and listened in total silence. 

To me its as much as the team we create rather the individuals that gives me hope.

Steve Bruce did it at Birmingham I think!

On 06/06/2019 at 13:17, MaVilla said:

Part of me wonders if formations are all they are cracked up to be in the modern era.

How I would look at it now is you have a general defensive formation, like a 4 5 1, and a formation when in the attacking third, like a 3 4 3 or some variant, and everything else is just transition, rotation and pressing through transition.

I honestly think that a hard formation these days is just for the pre match line-up, if you look at all the best coaches and teams they have a defensive formation and them in attack everything becomes fluid, even transitioning from attack to defence can be quite fluid depending on how you press and if you defend high up the pitch.

Takes good players and good coaches, but I honestly think a hard formation is out dated for the better teams.

Even fifa does this. When playing a 3 at the back formation your winger with the best defense drops back as a full back so you end up playing 442 when defending even if you are playing something like 3412

13 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Even fifa does this. When playing a 3 at the back formation your winger with the best defense drops back as a full back so you end up playing 442 when defending even if you are playing something like 3412

but surely, every formation morphs, from one thing to another, during a game.

With all the excitement of being in the Premiership again following the great win in the play off final, plus new players arriving etc, I think we all need to anticipate that we will go on a poor run in the up-coming season  at some time - we did last season under Dean and there were few moaners on here going on about Dean Smith not right for our club, blah, blah, blah....

Well I know we are fickle (!) but I think us supporters have to show the same "togetherness" we all witnessed towards the last part of last season. No booing at half time,  no getting on to the players if they make a mistake, lets get behind the players - it makes a difference. We supporters can be the difference. We all want Villa to do well, but lets have realistic expectations for next season while we and the players and manager all readjust to life in this new league. 

We have got a far better management structure and set up up, plus players and team spirit, Lets trust them to do their job with our support.

VTID

Derek

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If Wesley is the sort of signing that we will be looking to make in the future then Dean must be feeling like a kid in a sweets shop.

Go on Deano!

Not that I’d ever heard of Wesley beforehand... but if Deano wants him, it’s Deanos choice, and the owners are willing to sign off on the deal?

Youre absolutely right... Compared to his Brentford days of picking through the bargain bin and finding the occasional gem; he must feel like he has a much better pick of every litter going!

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

With all the excitement of being in the Premiership again following the great win in the play off final, plus new players arriving etc, I think we all need to anticipate that we will go on a poor run in the up-coming season  at some time - we did last season under Dean and there were few moaners on here going on about Dean Smith not right for our club, blah, blah, blah....

Well I know we are fickle (!) but I think us supporters have to show the same "togetherness" we all witnessed towards the last part of last season. No booing at half time,  no getting on to the players if they make a mistake, lets get behind the players - it makes a difference. We supporters can be the difference. We all want Villa to do well, but lets have realistic expectations for next season while we and the players and manager all readjust to life in this new league. 

We have got a far better management structure and set up up, plus players and team spirit, Lets trust them to do their job with our support.

VTID

Derek

Totally agree.. we will have a bad run this season, possibly a spanking or two. I’m just worried what will happen if we are in and around the bottom few come Christmas, what most supporters would think and whether these owners would pull the lever, I don’t think they would....

I wonder if staying up on the last game of the season was on the table right now how many would take it!? Not sure I would. 

Edited by Jimmyg

16 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Not that I’d ever heard of Wesley beforehand... but if Deano wants him, it’s Deanos choice, and the owners are willing to sign off on the deal?

Is it, though? I thought Suso picked the players, and DS is 'just' the head coach? 

• Like 1

If these signings keep coming then Dean Smith will be assembling a team that is capable of top half - if he can get them to gel quickly. He has proven he can do that at championship level last season, in less than a full season - so why not do it again with a full season and pre-season with much greater talent? If we had any other manager I'd be concerned we're about to do a Fulham, but not with DS in charge. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If these signings keep coming then Dean Smith will be assembling a team that is capable of top half - if he can get them to gel quickly. He has proven he can do that at championship level last season, in less than a full season - so why not do it again with a full season and pre-season with much greater talent? If we had any other manager I'd be concerned we're about to do a Fulham, but not with DS in charge. 

the question is, who would Bruce have signed if he were in this situation?

I vote.....Charlie Austin? :P

Edited by MaVilla
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is it, though? I thought Suso picked the players, and DS is 'just' the head coach? 

Not sure if joshing? Dig at our Brentford friends.

Dean very much part of the team that signs players. I'd imagine he's near the end of the process as he's busy coaching, doesn't have time to be out scouting mid-season. If he really didn't fancy a player for X, Y, Z reasons and Suso and the scouts couldn't convince him he'd be worth getting in, that player ain't getting signed. No way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Whilst I understand it’s a joke, and certainly wouldn’t want to sound like an old misery,  I must confess I never give Bruce ( or RDM, or Garde, or any of the others) a second thought. 

Im suprised anybody does, especially given how much we’ve got to enjoy right now and coming up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

If Wesley is the sort of signing that we will be looking to make in the future then Dean must be feeling like a kid in a sweets shop.

Go on Deano!

He Is, he is, and he will  😀

3 hours ago, Jimmyg said:

Totally agree.. we will have a bad run this season, possibly a spanking or two. I’m just worried what will happen if we are in and around the bottom few come Christmas, what most supporters would think and whether these owners would pull the lever, I don’t think they would....

I wonder if staying up on the last game of the season was on the table right now how many would take it!? Not sure I would. 

we'll cross that bridge when we come to it......it becomes tedium to worry about something that may not happen.....I guess Wolves fans thought the same.

There is one thing being mullered every week ( it takes a very special fan to put up with that)and another where by we marginally miss out on a win after a fine display.

We will go in to the season positively and I think we have the personnel at the club to not let that positivity slip.

been really impressed with Dean's and the recruitment teams methods so far.

Jota signed completely out of leftfield, and a very prudent signing imo, nailed down El Ghazi and signing Wesley again completely out of leftfield.

Its great to know that the club is operating intelligently and not being telegraphed in the players we are buying.

Keep it up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Honestly can you believe the start of the season he was in charge of us and all the uproar from the media when we sacked him. 

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

From a professional point of view, what a 12 months that Deano has just experienced. I doubt that even he would dare to believe, 12 months ago, that fast forward 12 months and he would be spending £20m on a Brazilian CF as a premier league manager. 

And, most importantly, FOR ASTON VILLA. 

• Like 2

Â