Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pretty much deserves a statue for what he has done here.

He inherited a team that could only play a very negative brand of football that was instilled in them by Steve Bruce, players who lacked confidence on the ball and the fitness required to play a pass and move style. Yes there was a rough patch which was really down to both losing Grealish and Smith's methods taking time to sink in. After that we went on an unprecedented run of wins and now play off of victory, we were 13th just a couple of months ago guys, I cannot state the enormity of what Dean Smith has achieved here, what an absolutely fantastic manager and there's plenty of reasons to be excited about what we might achieve next season.

UTV. 

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing

I absolutely agree Smith has saved this club. A bloody legend. Even if we don't survive stick with him he will bring us back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeAVFC said:

Wonder where all the clueless **** saying sack him are now? Brilliant job done by a fantastic head coach. DEANO DEANO DEANO 

I'm right here, I wasn't necessarily saying sack him now but I was asking questions.

All of the people who were saying 'give him time, give him time' I was happy to go with that and all I was asking for was some tiny indication that we were heading in the right direction which at the time we weren't getting, then Jack got back to fitness and everything clicked and I got the signs that I was asking for.

I did think that the job was too big for him and I did think that we had **** up by appointing him, regardless of that he has always been a step up from Bruce.

Sometimes it feels so good to be proven wrong, now lets see what he can do when he has some real money to spend, DEANO DEANO DEANO

• Like 2

Hero status achieved and I doubt he'll have his head turned by anyone. The foundation is finally in place. The future is really promising after so many false dawns.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I was wrong.

Fair play! Would be good to hear the same from a few others who were getting on his back when the luck wasn't going his way.

The quality he has which really shines through is good temperament. He didn't get carried away after the West Brom win, when Derby were out celebrating like they'd won the Champions League. He never threw any of his players under the bus when results weren't going his way. He's even managed to get the best out of players who we thought were done - Taylor, Adomah, Whelan... arguably even Hourihane after he was getting booed by his own fans. He just seems a really calming influence on the club.

We'll need those qualities next season, because life's about to get tough again. I love his "be a good teammate" philosophy, and I love how we look like that on the pitch. A genuine team, who celebrate together and have ambitions as a team, not just looking ahead to their next transfer. Been years since I've seen that at Villa Park.

UTV

• Like 3

Ok so one small thing that baffled me and I was screaming at the TV at the time but when we got to the last 3-4 minutes of extra time, I was screaming for Smith to get a sub on to wind down the time. Not that it matters as it's irrelevant but at the time I was going through a million emotions and just needed time to fly by

A class act. An absolute class act. He’s simultaneously down to earth while also thinking deeply about the fine grain details of his team. I love that combination.

Also, just saw his interview on SkySports and his comments about his father were incredibly thoughtful and touching. This exemplifies his humility to me and I have massive respect for that. 

I hope we stick with him and build a team in his image. 

Thank you for all you’ve done, Dean.

• Like 2

Dean, no matter how high or low you take us, I'll always love you for what you are mate - a true Villan! 

Thank you so much for taking us back to the Premier League and giving us back that proud feeling of being a top flight club again - you're a legend!

Edited by villarocker

I pretty much lost faith in him towards the end of January. I'd admitted I'd rushed to judgement too quickly already, a few weeks ago, and I'm absolutely delighted I was, seeing him with the trophy was magic.

A statue for getting us to the PL though? That's a bit silly, isn't it. We're Aston Villa ffs. 

Â