Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Thank you Dean, I'm on holiday and thought I'd never ever agree to enter an English pub abroad but **** me the atmosphere was great, so proud to be with other Villa fans watching that as there are hardly any back home where I live in Sussex. Love the man, how we got promoted from where we were is pretty miraculous. Here's to next year, up the Villa! 

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

Dean, no matter how high or low you take us, I'll always love you for what you are mate - a true Villan! 

Thank you so much for taking us back to the Premier League and giving us back that proud feeling of being a top flight club again - you're a legend!

🥳

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/27/dean-smith-reveals-pledge-father-said-next-time-come-see-premier/

Dean Smith has revealed how he made a Premier League pledge to his father, Ron, before taking Aston Villa back into the top flight.

Smith has ended his beloved Villa’s three-year exile from the top tier to fulfil a promise to his father, who is in a home with dementia.

A matchday steward at Villa Park for over two decades, Ron’s illness means he does not even know his son is head coach of the club.

And after the win over Derby at Wembley, Smith said:  "I went to see my old man on Friday and I managed to get his eyes open for two minutes maximum. I said, ‘next time I come and see you, I’ll be a Premier League manager’. 

“He smiled, if not anything more. Hopefully there was an understanding but it's a terrible illness. For me, that was enough.

“The reality is just setting in. The last time I sat here I was not so good as we'd just lost 2-0 in the Checkatrade Trophy final with Walsall. 

“Now I am sat here and we’ve won a play-off final and I'm a Premier League manager. It’s a little bit surreal.”

Villa finished bottom of the league when they were relegated in 2016 but Nassef Sawiris, one of the club’s owners, has insisted “the sky is now the limit”.

Anwar El Ghazi and John McGinn scored Villa’s goals, resisting a late bombardment from Derby, who replied through substitute Jack Marriott, to ensure captain Jack Grealish lifted the trophy.

Grealish, like Smith, is also a lifetime Villa fan and has been backed to make a huge impact next season.

Smith said: “I've got a special connection with the lad, he's a Villa fan, he's been through a lot in his career so far. 

“A lot of people's perceptions of him are him lying in a road when he was 17 or 18. He was thrust into the limelight as a young kid, but boy the kid has matured. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I wonder what DS will do with a handsome budget in the premier league, this is as good as it gets for a young manager. 

The structure is in place with DOF that he says what kind of player he needs. Old days are gone 

• Like 2

I was in the Army for 94 and 96 and too young to remember 82 so this is the first thing I've ever seen us win, and i got to share it with my 14yr old son.

Thank you Dean. 

Edited by av1

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Make no mistake, this is one hell of an ambitious boy we got managing us. You can feel it burning inside of him. We may have struck gold here folks.

Pressure is off him, he's got us up ahead of schedule and will now have a chance to implement what he thinks is a good football team with a budget comparable to most other teams in the league - this is the exact reason we were all so nervous about today, because we can see it, but could not know it until we won. 

39 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Remarkably calm in the aftermath i thought. He wants to make a mark in the premier league, make no mistake. He'll probably be back at work in 2 weeks planning and preparing.

Unless the cricket is on in Grenada?

😎

• Haha 2

Â