Dean Smith

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Not so sure we would win the league, Norwich are a very good side and are pretty close to us in points gain over the last 9 games.

But yeah I agree we would have had a chance of topping the league, and would have had an excellent chance of an automatic spot.

They just about beat us at their place an dthat was when Smith was first starting. 

They are good but I think we would be putting intense pressure on them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

They just about beat us at their place an dthat was when Smith was first starting. 

They are good but I think we would be putting intense pressure on them. 

Agreed. Frankly there is not a better team than us in this league. They just needed all of their ability unlocked and I think that’s finally happened. If we don’t go up this season we need to convince the likes of Grealish that with them we will walk it next season and PL football awaits. 

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I decided to take a walk from VT for a while in order to allow the dust to settle, or more to the point to allow Smith time to get his feet under the covers before passing any kind of judgement.

I'm not sure whether that time is upon us yet, but we are certainly starting to see the system taking shape. We're still a bit passive aggressive at times, I'd like to see a bit more incisiveness, a bit more 'swarm' if you catch my drift. Particularly in starting games, we have been slow out of the blocks of late. 

Other than that, the last few weeks have been a remarkable turnaround and unlike that 7 game run under Bruce, this looks sustainable. The traps we set, the measured pressing, the patience, the confidence with which we ping the ball around in tight spaces are all measures of a really good side, and these are not necessarily analytical things either. They're raw coaching. Any thoughts that Dean Smith was merely a cog in the wheel at Brentford have been put firmly to bed. He and his team are clearly highly talented and we are reaping the rewards of that. 

Ultimately he will be measured on results, if the results don't come this season then OK, we can at least go into next season hyped for where we may go next. With or without Grealish.

The system is king, and lord do we have a fun one for you. 

Welcome back! #JC4PM ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I decided to take a walk from VT for a while in order to allow the dust to settle, or more to the point to allow Smith time to get his feet under the covers before passing any kind of judgement.

I'm not sure whether that time is upon us yet, but we are certainly starting to see the system taking shape. We're still a bit passive aggressive at times, I'd like to see a bit more incisiveness, a bit more 'swarm' if you catch my drift. Particularly in starting games, we have been slow out of the blocks of late. 

Other than that, the last few weeks have been a remarkable turnaround and unlike that 7 game run under Bruce, this looks sustainable. The traps we set, the measured pressing, the patience, the confidence with which we ping the ball around in tight spaces are all measures of a really good side, and these are not necessarily analytical things either. They're raw coaching. Any thoughts that Dean Smith was merely a cog in the wheel at Brentford have been put firmly to bed. He and his team are clearly highly talented and we are reaping the rewards of that. 

Ultimately he will be measured on results, if the results don't come this season then OK, we can at least go into next season hyped for where we may go next. With or without Grealish.

Welcome back. Remember our bet ? ;)

• Like 1

Thought it might be interesting to see a graph of Championship total points progression since DS took over.

Obviously where the lines remain horizontal is a loss, a small increase is a draw, and wins create the spikes in progression.

You can really see that last 8-9 games ! :P

Also, what is worth noting, is that DS took over when we were 15th, and only 9 games ago we were 11th and by most accounts unlikely to make the playoffs, what a difference an 8 game winning streak makes :)

dspp.png

And the one below is our League position since DS took over, as you will see we had a good run and then fluctuated/stagnated for w while, before making the impressive push to 5th that you see towards the end of the graph......impressive stuff!

AVLP.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

i genuinely can't believe how we went on such a poor run when Grealish was injured and we couldn't buy a win under Smith, but i was amongst his critics and so glad to say i was wrong and that he just needed time, players back from injury, a bit of luck and a build up in team confidence.

I am hoping we don't lose any more injuries as to get through the play offs we need all our best players fit.

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Good post .... I've taken a bit of a rest over the past few weeks to wait for the small but annoying number of anti Smith posts to cool. The Villa rebuild is only just under way and we have a hell of a job in front of us to shed baggage, shape departments, and bring in the RIGHT players for a successful future.

Welcome back ddid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Oh no, what have I done now...

We had a bet about Wyness not lasting at the club. Loser pays to villatalk I think.  I said I didn’t trust him and he was going to shaft us but you didn’t agree with my thoughts on him. 

I could dig it up but things are going so well with Villa these days I’ll let you off mate :)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We had a bet about Wyness not lasting at the club. Loser pays to villatalk I think.  I said I didn’t trust him and he was going to shaft us but you didn’t agree with my thoughts on him. 

I could dig it up but things are going so well with Villa these days I’ll let you off mate :)

Oh no, I am game for fulfilling that one! I was completely blind to the mess that was the Xia/Wyness regime. Silly really following our experiences with Doug and Lerner. Much more 'on the ball' when it comes to the new guys, who I am happy with remaining fairly hands off. Some good signs, some bad, time will tell. 

How much was it? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Oh no, I am game for fulfilling that one! I was completely blind to the mess that was the Xia/Wyness regime. Silly really following our experiences with Doug and Lerner. Much more 'on the ball' when it comes to the new guys, who I am happy with remaining fairly hands off. Some good signs, some bad, time will tell. 

How much was it? 

Fair play mate.👍🏼 I’ll have to dig up the post as can’t remember myself. 

To be fair I was blind to Xia as well. For some reason I genuinely believed he was ridiculously rich and was only unable to spend because of FFP. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair I was blind to Xia as well. For some reason I genuinely believed he was ridiculously rich and was only unable to spend because of FFP. 

think we all thought that, even the league were duped, probably why they can't enforce FFP too harshly on us as they really did screw up the right and proper tests for ownership.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2019 at 18:11, Michelsen said:

I never thought I’d fall in love again, being happily married man. Then, along came a middle aged English bloke...

Jacob Rees- Mogg?😀

• Haha 1

Can't believe we haven't got a song for Deano.  What he has done for our club is astounding.   Not just the results but the style of play, entertainment, my general mental health. 

Other than the usual give us a wave he doesn't get much recognition.  

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can't believe we haven't got a song for Deano.  What he has done for our club is astounding.   Not just the results but the style of play, entertainment, my general mental health. 

Other than the usual give us a wave he doesn't get much recognition.  

An oldie, but a goldie -

Deano to the song Geno!  Used to love it when Dean Saunders was with us, so just an excuse to use it again!!  :clap:

• Like 2

love the amount of early crosses we are hitting into the box from deep now. Such a good way to attack and very difficult to defend against.

Very much look like a tactical thing they've been working on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

An oldie, but a goldie -

Deano to the song Geno!  Used to love it when Dean Saunders was with us, so just an excuse to use it again!!  :clap:

I think it has a real tribal ring to it.....and it can be belted out.

pity some of the Holte End Poets can't do a bit of work leading up to "Geno"/ "Deano"......like the current song they sing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â