Dean Smith

Demitri_C

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Is the no fans helping us.

What is everyone's thoughts about that?

I am sure Dean Smith and his team would rather have the fans inside Villa Park right now to see this wonderful football the team is playing. I think that when we are eventually allowed back in, the scramble for tickets will be immense. If the team are still playing they are currently, imagine the reception they will get when they next walk out to a full Villa Park crowd. That will be spine-tingling.

• Like 4

Imagine how proud his old man would have been. A life - long Villa fan seeing his own son making Aston Villa a team to fear again. Him being one of us really does make it that more sweet, it's like we're living the dream with him. 

Long may the dream continue. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 4

I thought it was a poor decision to not make a couple more changes last night, to get minutes for Conor and Davis at the very least. These are players we could well find ourselves relying on in the near future, and more than for match fitness I think it is important to show some level of faith in them to perform when called upon ahead of time. What better moment than when you are 3-0 up? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I thought it was a poor decision to not make a couple more changes last night, to get minutes for Conor and Davis at the very least. These are players we could well find ourselves relying on in the near future, and more than for match fitness I think it is important to show some level of faith in them to perform when called upon ahead of time. What better moment than when you are 3-0 up? 

Is he angry at them for f***ing up in the league cup possibly?

There are obvious trust issues. That's for sure.

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Conor will be getting plenty of minutes over the International break.  Also we weren’t 3-0 up until late in the game so how much would it actually have helped them?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I disagree, looked what West Ham to come back and Arsenal have formidable strikers like Aubemeyang who even having a bad game could score.  We can also leak quite easy as well as lose our heads and concede a couple of goals quickly.  

We scored in the 75th minute for our third, for the sake of let’s say 10 minutes why risk the game for subs, why risk a confidence win, a clean sheet for just a few minutes.  Why impact control of a goal just for a few minutes.  The likelihood of 95% chance we would be fine but no point risking it.  If 3-0 after 60 minutes, maybe because those players would get decent play time but 5-10 minutes isn’t going to do much for them and could open us up.  Dean, in my mind, made the right call.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think on balance it's more important to keep our hotshot, 6 goals in 7, record signing happy and confident by letting him stay on and try to complete his second hattrick of the season than it is to show faith in a guy who cannot seem to buy a goal at this level and who will be our 4th choice striker by January.

• Like 2

No fans is absolutely helping us...  I know it's a cliche, but Villa supporters are incredibly fickle.  When things are going well, Villa Park is a fortress, but we'd knock all the confidence out of the team if we went a goal or two down early.  Example:  We would not have scored 3 goals in the 2nd half against Southampton if there were fans there that day.  We would have booed the bejesus out of the team that day.  I also think we would not have beaten the drop after Project Restart if we had been allowed to show up in some capacity.

Some players play well behind closed doors and some thrive off of the pressure a stadium full of fans adds.  I'm just enjoying the ride and not trying to get my hopes up too much at this point in the season.  Villa has broken my heart too much over the years for me to get too excited about life in the top half of the table ahead of schedule.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I disagree, looked what West Ham to come back and Arsenal have formidable strikers like Aubemeyang who even having a bad game could score.  We can also leak quite easy as well as lose our heads and concede a couple of goals quickly.  

We scored in the 75th minute for our third, for the sake of let’s say 10 minutes why risk the game for subs, why risk a confidence win, a clean sheet for just a few minutes.  Why impact control of a goal just for a few minutes.  The likelihood of 95% chance we would be fine but no point risking it.  If 3-0 after 60 minutes, maybe because those players would get decent play time but 5-10 minutes isn’t going to do much for them and could open us up.  Dean, in my mind, made the right call.

I think you're underestimating the psychological importance of those 5-10 minutes. Conor Hourihane hasn't been trusted with a single minute since Fulham, when he scored a goal and added an assist.

This isn't just about last night to be honest, I think he needs to show some level of faith is these players now, because we are bound to have to call on them at some stage. Even if it is only 5-10 minutes when you're 3-0 up against a team who don't even look like they could kick their way out of a wet paper bag, never mind score 3 goals. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

spurs were 3-0 up to west ham until the 81st min. it's a weird season, there was no sign of any tired legs, and it's an international break now. only trez, mcginn, and luiz are likely to play every game for their intl sides. the rest are either not called up or are unlikely to play much

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

No fans is absolutely helping us...  I know it's a cliche, but Villa supporters are incredibly fickle.  When things are going well, Villa Park is a fortress, but we'd knock all the confidence out of the team if we went a goal or two down early.  Example:  We would not have scored 3 goals in the 2nd half against Southampton if there were fans there that day.  We would have booed the bejesus out of the team that day.  I also think we would not have beaten the drop after Project Restart if we had been allowed to show up in some capacity.

Some players play well behind closed doors and some thrive off of the pressure a stadium full of fans adds.  I'm just enjoying the ride and not trying to get my hopes up too much at this point in the season.  Villa has broken my heart too much over the years for me to get too excited about life in the top half of the table ahead of schedule.  

Interesting that you think no fans is helping us, yet our away form is way better than our home form.  In fact, at home, we've lost to Stoke, Leeds and Southampton, scraped past Sheff Utd and then had that bizarre Liverpool game... whereas, away from home, we've won all 3 and are yet to concede (Leicester and Arsenal in those, too).

Who would have dreamt . let alone imagined what Smith has accomplished in as little as 24 months. Its amazing that it's going more or less unnoticed. Sometimes the stars aline, Grealish, Watkins, Smith the owners, its one hell of a dream. I keep pinching myself. 

A club he supported as a boy, his Dad introduced him to us and worked as steward. It's such a story it's hard to believe that its happening, where does it end? Truly amazing times at Smith's Villa. Thanks to whoever or whatever is responsible. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I understand your thinking and I am not disputing your valid point.....but if you had given your all, like they did, would you want to come off.

I think that was their reward, staying on.....after all we was getting stronger as the game went on.....I can't fault Dean on that.

Edited by TRO

Â