Dean Smith

Demitri_C

32 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think you're underestimating the psychological importance of those 5-10 minutes. Conor Hourihane hasn't been trusted with a single minute since Fulham, when he scored a goal and added an assist.

This isn't just about last night to be honest, I think he needs to show some level of faith is these players now, because we are bound to have to call on them at some stage. Even if it is only 5-10 minutes when you're 3-0 up against a team who don't even look like they could kick their way out of a wet paper bag, never mind score 3 goals. 

Oh I agree apart from the length of time.  Like I said, 30 mins fine or even 20 mins fine but 5-10 mins is just winding down the clock subs and not sure that’s a confidence builder for them so that’s why Dean made the right choice in my mind.  

To be honest I’m more interested in the current XI because they needed confidence after the previous two games plus this team is still new to each other so continuing playing together will help later in the season especially with less pressure of being 3-0.

I understand the squad theory you are talking about but a convincing win, more playing time for a new team playing and making sure we don’t suffer a 3 goal loss lead like West Ham did is more important plus a clean sheet is also a massive confidence booster at the moment.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, KMitch said:

No fans is absolutely helping us...  I know it's a cliche, but Villa supporters are incredibly fickle.  When things are going well, Villa Park is a fortress, but we'd knock all the confidence out of the team if we went a goal or two down early.  Example:  We would not have scored 3 goals in the 2nd half against Southampton if there were fans there that day.  We would have booed the bejesus out of the team that day.  I also think we would not have beaten the drop after Project Restart if we had been allowed to show up in some capacity.

Some players play well behind closed doors and some thrive off of the pressure a stadium full of fans adds.  I'm just enjoying the ride and not trying to get my hopes up too much at this point in the season.  Villa has broken my heart too much over the years for me to get too excited about life in the top half of the table ahead of schedule.  

I think the players right now....would want the fans there, Jack would be thriving in this.

I think you are right to be cautious in your expectation, because teams will come and try stopping us playing.....but when we are on, we are really on, that was a great display.

I think in contrast to last season, the teams that like to play, will suit us, now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree apart from the length of time.  Like I said, 30 mins fine or even 20 mins fine but 5-10 mins is just winding down the clock subs and not sure that’s a confidence builder for them so that’s why Dean made the right choice in my mind.  

To be honest I’m more interested in the current XI because they needed confidence after the previous two games plus this team is still new to each other so continuing playing together will help later in the season especially with less pressure of being 3-0.

I understand the squad theory you are talking about but a convincing win, more playing time for a new team playing and making sure we don’t suffer a 3 goal loss lead like West Ham did is more important plus a clean sheet is also a massive confidence booster at the moment.

Clean sheets are a massive Barometer of progress.

and the goals and the approach play was just like a sheer " Fairground" experience for a toddler......( meaning i loved it)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Using this logic is unsound. If we go by every freak result to have ever happened, managers would be frozen by fear. That's just not how you should approach the game. 

I didn't mean never make subs when you have a healthy lead, and you well know that.

We had arsenal in every area last night...any sub we'd have made would've weakened us and potentially given them a route back into the game

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

The goals and the approach play was just like a sheer " Fairground" experience for a toddler.

Oh my.

I can see why Dean Smith isn't for you with a view like that.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Oh my.

I can see why Dean Smith isn't for you with a view like that.

but he is for me, so you have misinterpreted my comments......once again....how, i don't know.

I was complimenting us on the clean sheet and stating how important it was and it is......Dean  has a reputation for the flamboyancy, so I touched on the obvious glee there, too.

what more do you want me to say?.....you are a funny one mate.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

but he is for me, so you have misinterpreted my comments......once again....how, i don't know.

I was complimenting us on the clean sheet and stating how important it was and it is......Dean  has a reputation for the flamboyancy, so I touched on the obvious, too.

what more do you want me to say.....you are a funny one mate.

Perhaps toddlers was taken too literally. I doubt Dean Smith thinks goals and build-up play are a sideshow.  Isn't his style the opposite of what you want to see?

I would rather watch us try to play football in the Championship than watch boring defensive football and finish 10th-17th every season in the PL.

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Perhaps toddlers was taken too literally. I doubt Dean Smith thinks goals and build-up play are a sideshow.  Isn't his style the opposite of what you want to see?

I would rather watch us try to play football in the Championship than watch boring defensive football and finish 10th-17th every season in the PL.

yes, you did take it TOO literally.

No,No,No.....wrong again.

I am ecstatic about our approach play, the first Goal was Barcelonaesque....and the reverse ball from Barkley to Targett was sublime as was Targetts cross.....just didn't want to state the obvious, so I thought a clean Sheet, was something positive, not to dismiss or forget about.

The "toddlers" was just describing how they feel when they visit a fairground, it was a pure exclamation of delight....I was trying to be creative for my sins......but its like having to explain a joke, its not quite the same.

You really don't understand my thinking on football, but you think you do.

I love the football we are producing and I still think we MADE Arsenal play poor, by winning most of the duels around the park, i can't be more complimentary......but if you think I am happy at conceding goals, then I am not.

Winning trophies means scoring lots of goals and being miserly at our end......its not single dimensional, this game.

I hope I have explained myself sufficiently.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I still think we MADE Arsenal play poor, by winning most of the duels around the park,

I think we were good without being brilliant myself. Our Southampton second half was probably better than the Arsenal first.

Arsenal were rotten and fortunately with Dean Smith at the helm we went at them to win instead of sitting back hoping for a point.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If we did not go for Smith i think these owners regardless would get another good coach and give them the same backing.

They seem to know what they are doing and we are very lucky to have them-

VillaLad- I do not think there was much options around at the time. We needed a guy who played attacking football for a start. We needed a Coach who would implement new ways all while getting results. At the time our Managers came in it really did not look like there was much in the way of options. I mean we were going to bring Thiery Henry in lol, good job we didnt go there, right??

Yes our Owners do seem to know what they were doing but the timing Smith came in allowed us to shoot up the table. I do not think we would of had promotion that season if Smith had not of came in because of how long extra it would of taken to bring another Coach in. Remember as well no one hardly wanted to touch us in that way, Manager and Coach alike would of said no to the job. It's a tough crowd we have here at Villa and many a Manager/Coschhave been slaughtered by the fans.

Our Owners are very smart I do of course agree, but no matter how smart they are, it's also timing in the execution of there plans that aided getting us promoted. Same goes for the timing of how our players after Lockdown in a crazy way just ramped up there football ability and we survived. 

The other Coaches alongside Smith and himself of course there work has been wonderful, but Smith himself I really think he could be a massive Coach in this premier league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I thought it was a poor decision to not make a couple more changes last night, to get minutes for Conor and Davis at the very least. These are players we could well find ourselves relying on in the near future, and more than for match fitness I think it is important to show some level of faith in them to perform when called upon ahead of time. What better moment than when you are 3-0 up? 

To be fair who really wants to come on for 5-10 minutes to see the clock down. Ain’t worth putting your shin pads on. 

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I still maintain those two games could very easily have gone the other way. If we had taken our chances against Leeds and not made preventable errors against Southampton.

As you say incredible progress from last season. I hope we can add a player or two come January.

January is important, I'm sure Purslow is at it again trying to make funds for us with nicola Ibetson. I'm sure the Owners will add some funds to the club as well.

I've a feeling if we can remain in the top third of the table after having played so many lovely games, the moment we approach players, there will be many who will be up for a yes. The Barkley signing is the signing everyone never expected to go ahead, it should give a boost to the type of player we can bring in. Not just the fact Barkley joined when no one expected to but it's the fact that most of the players joining here are playing well, even when we lose most of the time were still playing well. Players will take note of the way previous players sign and hit the ground running. Then there is the chance they have at starting alongside Grealish, Watkins, Martinez, McGinn, Mings and hopefully January Barkley himself.

We should totally seal Ross Barkley in a deal no matter the cost, he has been amazing as a false 9 in a 4-4-2.

So yeah January could be even better for us in the calibre of player we can bring in. What would you all say as to what positions we need now???? I'd say another striker has to be priority, another Winger, Midfielder, RB and CB. We wont secure all them spots in January but depth we need now and it would be lovely to start there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

The goals and the approach play was just like a sheer " Fairground" experience for a toddler......( meaning i loved it)

I know we've had our disagreements, differing views. But this is why we watch, enjoy, hate, discuss this game so much... For that feeling when your side gets a good result. Glad to see you enjoyed it tro!

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair who really wants to come on for 5-10 minutes to see the clock down. Ain’t worth putting your shin pads on. 

Yeah, I'm with you. Connor has been playing professional soccer for over a decade. He doesn't need 5 minutes of garbage time. If he was coming back from injury, sure, but just so he can run around and kill clock...nah I don't see the point. 

Sometimes I feel like people who scream for subs think the manager's two jobs are to pick the 11 and then use all 3 subs every game. I get it, unlike american football, where you see the coaches alter every play, it can be bit more difficult to ascertain where the manager has had a positive/ negative affect on a match. Subs are the one concrete way a fan can point and say look this is where the manager screwed up or "changed" the game for the better. 

I'm not against subs by any means. If a team is playing poorly or a player just doesn't have it by all means change it up. Fans need to understand that a player coming on is going to be initially completely off the pace. It takes time to integrate with the other 10 players already out there. So I completely understand why a manager who is up 3-0 away from home decides to keep things as is and not change it up for the sake of a short run out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I’m hoping you are in a tiny minority on that. If we finish 10-17 this season, it will be an important building block in our quest to reestablish premier league sustainability.

Seems you would rather we were a yo-yo team  a la Norwich. That’s not for me and I hope not for most fans. 

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I’m hoping you are in a tiny minority on that. If we finish 10-17 this season, it will be an important building block in our quest to reestablish premier league sustainability.

Seems you would rather we were a yo-yo team  a la Norwich. That’s not for me and I hope not for most fans. 

Smashing the media darlings is enjoyable.

I never want to see us relegated ever again. Ever. Never ever. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I said every season.

The plan for us is to kick on and progress. 12th this year would be that, then we'd go again and try and finish higher.

Edited by Tomaszk

Â