Dean Smith

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Didn't do anything wrong today - individual lapses cost us the goals and we had more than enough chances to score and win the bugger. 

He was seething on the sidelines at some of our misses.

We could have won 1-0.....we have conceded 9 goals in the last 3 home games, that is commensurate with pre lockdown of last season.

if there is ambition to progress and despite sitting a respectable 6th, we have to develop a side to our game that is not so easy for teams like the last 3 at home to score against.

we are a team that are very easy on the eye and i don't want to lose that, but when teams come to us with a plan to close us down, clatter us with physical intent, or are simply quicker to the ball we show our deficiencies like today.

I am not talking about WHY we played like we did......I am simply talking about WHAT we played like.

I still think we need 2 better sitting midfielders, who can play a bit too.....just hope Dean sees it like I do.

That game was no surprise to me at all.

• Like 1

Can't hold too much against Smith today. It's typical of us to not take chances and to then get punished for it, which is clearly not Smith's fault.

Smith is also not responsible for dogshit refereeing, which I think is actually pissing me off more than the defeat itself. If we had lost 2-1, but without having a point snatched away from us at the end, I would have been annoyed, but not as **** off as I am right now.

Let's just hope Barkley is ok as Smith does not exactly have a lot of options available in that area.

• Like 2

I think some got too carried away with our good start to the season, but when you look at it personel wise, the only difference to our starting team this season to the one that played last season, is a championship right back and a championship striker, and Ross Barkley. That's not to say they're bad players, but they're not the players that are going to transform us from a team that barely survived to one that can challenge top six, we will be over achieving to finish in the top half.

That said, three defeats out of four isn't good, carry on in that form and the relegation zone will rise ominously to try and engulf us in it's dreaded grasp.

Edited by useless

12 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Seems to struggle getting them mentally in the same shape for games we are fancied to win versus one's we are underdogs. A running theme too. Not good.

Last season the narrative was that we only won games we should win and couldn't lay a glove on the big teams. 

We have made huge strides. 

1 minute ago, useless said:

I think some got too carried away with our good start to the season, but when you look at it personel wise, the only difference to our starting team this season to the one that played last season, is a championship right back and a championship striker, and Ross Barkley. That's not to say they're bad players, but they're not the players that are going to transform us from a team that barely survived to one that can challenge top six, we will be over achieving to finish in the top half.

That said, three defeats out of four isn't good, carry on in that form and the relegation zone will rise ominously to try and engulf us it's dreaded grasp.

But that isn't the aim. And anyone who demands top 6 is an idiot. 

We need to improve on last season. At the moment, despite 3 home losses in a row, we are well on track to do that. 

We should comfortably finish 14th or above and that's absolutely fine for this year. 

Just now, Mantis said:

This might not be borne out by the stats, but it feels like in these last three home games we've conceded an absurdly high amount of goals in relation to opposition chances created?

Yep. I imagine the expected goals stats against us are pretty low compared to the actual amount we've conceded. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I said in the post match thread. 

We lose a key player after 1 minute. We miss the biggest sitter of the game and Var robs us in the 94th minute. 

I thought we played really well, and like the saints game, its not a game we should have lost. 

Our improvement from last season is huge. How many teams played like that against us last year? We're feared now. 

Really ? Teams are rocking up to villa park, slapping us on the arse and sticking 3 points in their back pocket. It's not so much the home and away thing that bothers me. It's mentally, there is a noticeable drop individually and collectively when we play sides where we are perceived as favourites versus " Villa haven't a hope against this lot " and we are unreal.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Really ? Teams are rocking up to villa park, slapping us on the arse and sticking 3 points in their back pocket. It's not so much the home and away thing that bothers me. It's mentally, there is a noticeable drop individually and collectively when we play sides where we are perceived as favourites versus " Villa haven't a hope against this lot " and we are unreal.

I think one major difference is the games we've thought we'd lose, we've taken chances. 

I'm not sure that's just a mental thing. I think its the up and down of being a mid table team. 

Just now, useless said:

I didn't say that it was the aim, but a lot of people had been talking of top six and as if we're suddenly one of the better teams in the league, which is enevitably going to lead to disappointment.

I think its fine to talk, after all we are 6th. But expectations need to be realistic.

Part of the problem last year was that they weren't, which led to idiots demanding smith should be sacked or that he should have been sacked at Xmas.

We don't have a plan B but that's not exactly his fault. Wesley coming back will give him options to go two up top or move Watkins wide. If our 4-2-3-1 system isn't working then that's it, we don't have to players on the bench to change it up, Trez and El Ghazi shouldn't be anywhere near the team and one got 90 mins and the other 20 odd today.

The first 11 isn't bad but the squad is well below par and as soon as one or two are out (Barkley out, Traore not settled) it massively shows. Still a couple of windows away from being fully equipped for me but we need to take advantage of Grealish while we have him and try spend in Jan.

I didn’t see Dean do anything wrong today in the set up or subs used.

An error cost us the first goal and the second was a very good strike (shades of Southampton).

The players did well generally but there was a handful of below their usual performance level.

The ref at the end literally broke the clear and obvious rule to snatch the draw from us 

25 minutes ago, Farlz said:

It just wasn't our day today, think we all realised that pretty early on. It's going to be like this for a lot of the season I'd imagine, incredible performances one week followed by a disappointing one the week after. Very inconsistent.

We should be fine for mid table, it would have to be a calamity of the highest order for us to end up in another relegation battle. 

Possibly a weak excuse but the international break didn't help us at all, the likes of Grealish, McGinn and Luiz must have been absolutely knackered. Our first 11 is fantastic but I think the lack of depth in our squad is what will really hurt us this season. 

Yeah it never is our day against the lesser sides apparently.

• Like 1

With the exception of Leeds and 15 minutes against Southampton we have been better than everyone we have played today included. How effing hell did march score that. I'm surprised Welbeck didn't pull a hamstring during his run. 

Â