Dean Smith

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

A fantastic result, and a fantastic performance.

We have to work harder in midfield than our opponents, and tonight has shown like the last  10 games before it did that if we win the midfield battle, then we usually win the game.

It feels like we are set up perfectly to play away from home, we’ve really been doing a job on teams.

Our next 7 games are Brighton (h), West Ham (a), Newcastle (h), Wolves (a), Burnley (h), West Brom (a) & Crystal Palace (h). I think we can get at least 10 points from those, which would leave us on 25 points from 14 played - 15 more points from 24 games seems a certainty right?

I’m not sure Sheffield United, Fulham and Burnley will get to 15 points, let alone 40. We can be targeting midtable - 10th-13th I’m guessing. 

28 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

A fantastic result, and a fantastic performance.

We have to work harder in midfield than our opponents, and tonight has shown like the last  10 games before it did that if we win the midfield battle, then we usually win the game.

It feels like we are set up perfectly to play away from home, we’ve really been doing a job on teams.

Our next 7 games are Brighton (h), West Ham (a), Newcastle (h), Wolves (a), Burnley (h), West Brom (a) & Crystal Palace (h). I think we can get at least 10 points from those, which would leave us on 25 points from 14 played - 15 more points from 24 games seems a certainty right?

Realistically we can win all 7. However in reality 4 wins will be fantastic and a max of 2 defeats. Physically only palace and west ham are probably stronger than us. The rest we can easily out muscle.

Smith and CO are really moulding a sexy ass team up.

We cant win them all, but what were winning is way more progress than I actually imagined.

I once said last season Smith was the second coming of Fergie, but our version, I'll stick by that, I do hope the bloke is with us for a very long time and he gets on Fergies level.

Smith is a smart Coach.

Were starting to bash the big boys of the league, now if only we go win Chelsea, Spurs, City and Man u that would be astonishing.

Grats Smith n the lads you deserve the points keep rolling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

The trouble is we have no subs which won’t lower the quality of the team on the pitch.

Thing is we need to be mindful of burning players out, it's a long season and I'm absolutely ecstatic the start the team has made under DS but would just hate for us to fall away towards the end of the season. After Watkins second goal Davis could have come on. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Thing is we need to be mindful of burning players out, it's a long season and I'm absolutely ecstatic the start the team has made under DS but would just hate for us to fall away towards the end of the season. After Watkins second goal Davis could have come on. 

Strikers on a hat trick with 15 mins to go love being subbed of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Said over the weekend thought we’d get something from Arsenal, they don’t have the quality or depth of squad to play twice a week.

Really solid performance, not going to get too carried away, as Arsenal were flat.

We should be better and better as the season goes on, great result.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I agree with your sentiment but to be fair Watkins of all players is now going into two weeks of hanging out at Bodymoor with no games until we play Brighton.

Thats a fair point with the break.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Seems we get a win and then it's an international break. Every time. 

It can break the momentum but we’ve been pretty good at winning the first game back recently. Gives us chance to rest and recover, apart from those that play every game for their national sides. I hope McGinn doesn’t get overworked this time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I agree with your sentiment but to be fair Watkins of all players is now going into two weeks of hanging out at Bodymoor with no games until we play Brighton.

I think that's a good thing, he can work on his game and tactical awareness too. It's the likes of Mcginn and Luiz who are going to have games and travelling to deal with. 

6 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I think with how advanced Barkley is playing Conor could easily come on for him for the last five minutes and not risk anything. But I’m not going to sit here complaining after 5 wins from 7 including beating Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester.

There’s also a part of me curious on this - we have made so few subs that I think Dean is trying to prove a point to the squad/build an atmosphere that you play every game if you’re good enough... I just think it must be strategic. I can’t see how it won’t end in burnout if we do it all season but it is surely deliberate. Same as AEG - not a kick all season then two mins today. Does that mean he’s working hard in training and this was the reward? Is the idea it gets harder and harder to get in the side? I guess we will see!

I guess the fitness guys will assess the players and see thats it’s fine they can continue to play 90 minutes week in week out.

With no Europe and cup games I think a game a week really is manageable.  Unfortunately the ridiculous international schedules could be our undoing. Especially with Scotland having to play crucial games. 

I have to admit I’ve rarely seen a manager not make 3 changes when 3-0 up. I think Smith wanted us to score more and make even more of a statement.  Also give Ollie a chance to get his hattrick. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I guess the fitness guys will assess the players and see thats it’s fine they can continue to play 90 minutes week in week out.

With no Europe and cup games I think a game a week really is manageable.  Unfortunately the ridiculous international schedules could be our undoing. Especially with Scotland having to play crucial games. 

I have to admit I’ve rarely seen a manager not make 3 changes when 3-0 up. I think Smith wanted us to score more and make even more of a statement.  Also give Ollie a chance to get his hattrick. 

Agreed. We don't need to rotate. Just the odd change when needed will suffice. It's early doors yet so the players will be feeling themselves in.

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And in these circumstances (before a break) this is exactly what I want to see. We don't want to limp to 2 goal victories against the clubs playing in Europe, we want to crush them, see them driven before us and hear the lamentation of their women.

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

One tweak I'd like to see is from opposition corners or wide attacking free kicks I think we should leave 1 or 2 players up. It's just we clear the ball and it comes straight back. It will also mean they have less players attacking us too.

6 hours ago, zab6359 said:

This. I think we will drop off toward the end of the season simply because of the depth issues. That’s where we’re a WIP. It was always going to take time to transition a Championship squad to a Premier squad. Just hope fans don’t overreact when that inevitably happens, cos I think we’re on the way to building something quite special here.

• Thanks 1

Great to see Deano doing well, I met him after the league cup final and he was an absolute pleasure to meet - Even though he would have been disappointed he spent the time to sit and chat to my son (12) and it was something he will never forget.

One thing I would like to see him do if this run continues is treat the cup seriously this year, its been a while since ive genuinely looked at us being with a proper shout but looking at how we are beating teams at the moment I feel in a one off we can cause anyone a problem so I hope we go for this year especially if we are in a strong league position

• Like 1

Â