Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Thats the fonal piece of the puzzle. BUT it cant be denied he has saved this club from oblivion.  If he never got us promoted we could have been the next forest or sheff wed.

He also took us to a cup final in his 1st PL season. The guys done a remarkable job here. 

People in the media were praising wilder and now biesla but what about smith??

The guys done a terrific job. This season he has made the seemingly impossible happen

Reputation isn't build in a year.

Smith has been a lower league coach for most of his career.

If he keeps getting results his reputation will naturally rise.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Unlike Chris Wilder who has *checks notes* one season of top flight football on his CV.

Smith would get the same praise if he did what Wilder did last season.

And if he finishes top half this season i will promise you he will get the credit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I still maintain those two games could very easily have gone the other way. If we had taken our chances against Leeds and not made preventable errors against Southampton.

As you say incredible progress from last season. I hope we can add a player or two come January.

You are right there. Still think we were rubbish against Leeds, but Southampton’s xG showed they were crazy lucky. All set pieces, which we should be able to deal with. 

I reckon we’ll do better against the good sides this season. The ones that don't sit back, and that allow us to counter.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we have a season of incredible results, followed by some real head scratchers.

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

This. I think we will drop off toward the end of the season simply because of the depth issues. That’s where we’re a WIP. It was always going to take time to transition a Championship squad to a Premier squad. Just hope fans don’t overreact when that inevitably happens, cos I think we’re on the way to building something quite special here.

Absolutely agree with this. If it doesn't happen then that would be unexpected. Our form may continue all season, but we absolutely should not be expecting it to. Going to be fun finding out though, even if our off days become more common towards the end of the season. Our on days are something worth waiting for.

Loving what Smith and the rest of the management team have achieved these last 2 years, the results now really do speak for themselves. A combined 10-2 scoreline against the League and FA Cup winners from last year is amazing.

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You are right there. Still think we were rubbish against Leeds, but Southampton’s xG showed they were crazy lucky. All set pieces, which we should be able to deal with. 

I reckon we’ll do better against the good sides this season. The ones that don't sit back, and that allow us to counter.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we have a season of incredible results, followed by some real head scratchers.

The people who actually properly analyzed that Southampton game would say it was a freak and that Southampton had an abnormal effectivity.

I said it was a good game from us one week ago and i still say the same now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Tough life sucks at times.

I'd be pissed off if I were Watkins on 2 goals trying to get a third with fifteen mins left and was subbed for Davis lol.

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats the fonal piece of the puzzle. BUT it cant be denied he has saved this club from oblivion.  If he never got us promoted we could have been the next forest or sheff wed.

He also took us to a cup final in his 1st PL season. The guys done a remarkable job here. 

People in the media were praising wilder and now biesla but what about smith??

The guys done a terrific job. This season he has made the seemingly impossible happen

We would of been a Leeds if Smith had not took us up, sticking to the championship for a decade or more.

For what Smith had to work with he surely made a miracle happen last season keeping us up.

This season is really good, I think Smith and other english managers alike are paving the way for an english football comeback, unless your name is Gareth Southgate 🤣..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We would of been a Leeds if Smith had not took us up, sticking to the championship for a decade or more.

For what Smith had to work with he surely made a miracle happen last season keeping us up.

This season is really good, I think Smith and other english managers alike are paving the way for an english football comeback, unless your name is Gareth Southgate 🤣..

If we did not go for Smith i think these owners regardless would get another good coach and give them the same backing.

They seem to know what they are doing and we are very lucky to have them-

3 points off top with a game in hand is mental.

Imagine if we can keep up with a 1.7 - 2 points per match average for the whole season?

Very early days of course, and I'm worried about injuries and suspensions.

However, at least this season, our " worst " team, will be stronger than last season's.

Plus on this trajectory we should already have secured enough points to keep us well clear of danger early.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Is the no fans helping us.

What is everyone's thoughts about that?

I'm wondering myself, could be a secret blessing.

A season with no fans give these lads time to settle and a little less pressure.

By the time fans are allowed back in they should be well gelled and settled, and hopefully thrive.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we did not go for Smith i think these owners regardless would get another good coach and give them the same backing.

They seem to know what they are doing and we are very lucky to have them-

whilst you're not wrong, i suspect we'd have gone for a continental option that would've been a gamble. would that manager have struck up the same relationship with jack? would he have attracted barkley/watkins? what about the dynamic with JT, who was appointed by the owners prior to DS coming in?

so many ifs and buts, but having a fan as manager is a massive plus here. i doubt a continental manager would've survived last winter, personally. fans were starting to turn against DS (as you know better than anyone)...but it was nowhere near as vicious as it would've been had it not been 'one of our own'

remember how heavily linked henry was with us, under these owners...no smoke without fire. i agree we're lucky to have them, but these owners were very close to getting it very, very wrong.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

whilst you're not wrong, i suspect we'd have gone for a continental option that would've been a gamble. would that manager have struck up the same relationship with jack? would he have attracted barkley/watkins? what about the dynamic with JT, who was appointed by the owners prior to DS coming in?

so many ifs and buts, but having a fan as manager is a massive plus here. i doubt a continental manager would've survived last winter, personally. fans were starting to turn against DS (as you know better than anyone)...but it was nowhere near as vicious as it would've been had it not been 'one of our own'

remember how heavily linked henry was with us, under these owners...no smoke without fire. i agree we're lucky to have them, but these owners were very close to getting it very, very wrong.

Henry was just rumours though wasn't it?

I am genuinely curious who were on their actual shortlist.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Henry was just rumours though wasn't it?

I am genuinely curious who were on their actual shortlist.

i think bookies stopped taking bets at one point...it was more than that, it was absolutely nailed on

That was wonderful to watch last night, all credit to dean and the boys they got a grip of the game and never let up. The work rate from the middle three made the difference and gave Watkins the service in the area to do the damage.

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I still maintain those two games could very easily have gone the other way. If we had taken our chances against Leeds and not made preventable errors against Southampton.

As you say incredible progress from last season. I hope we can add a player or two come January.

To help us to secure our place in the top four - Wes and Nas will be all over that one! I like your thinking TV.

Â