Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Well yes, agreed. But 3-0 with 15 to play, Conor/Ramsey and Davis could come on 

And hand them the initiative and a way back in to the game? Whilst it’s very unlucky we have all seen 3 goal leads get over turned with 15 minutes to go. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Only negative after today:

I would like for him to use all his 3 subs when it's 10 minutes left and we are 3-0 up

Yeah and if we impact our control of the game and they do a West Ham you’d be complaining that he changed something that was working.  Dean played it well today,no use rocking the boat because it was a stroll anyway not a physically demanding game and we don’t play again for a few weeks so we don’t need the players in a few days (don’t care about the impact to internationals)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, av1 said:

The achievement keep coming. 

* Promotion at the first time of asking

* Record breaking winning run

* Survival and Cup final in 1st season back

* Winning first 4 games for the first time 

* Winning the first 3 away games for the first time in 20 odd years

* 5 wins from the first 7

The bloke has, and is doing a fantastic job. 

And yet just scroll back a few pages and you'll find people questioning if he is the right man for the job after 2 losses which couldve went either way. Absolutely bonkers.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And hand them the initiative and a way back in to the game? Whilst it’s very unlucky we have all seen 3 goal leads get over turned with 15 minutes to go. 

I don’t think it does hand any initiative, Arsenal were dead and buried. It’s not a huge concern at the moment, but we don’t want burn out. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don’t think it does hand any initiative, Arsenal were dead and buried. It’s not a huge concern at the moment, but we don’t want burn out. 

It’s stupid internationals that could cause burnout. 1 game a week is easily manageable. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

19 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

The way Bielsa set his team up last season in the cup at the Emirates was the blueprint for tonight's result. 

Yep next game is Leeds Arsenal. I expect them to win 6 nil vs Arsenal 

A fantastic result, and a fantastic performance.

We have to work harder in midfield than our opponents, and tonight has shown like the last  10 games before it did that if we win the midfield battle, then we usually win the game.

It feels like we are set up perfectly to play away from home, we’ve really been doing a job on teams.

Our next 7 games are Brighton (h), West Ham (a), Newcastle (h), Wolves (a), Burnley (h), West Brom (a) & Crystal Palace (h). I think we can get at least 10 points from those, which would leave us on 25 points from 14 played - 15 more points from 24 games seems a certainty right?

Interesting that we have won the first 3 away games in a season for the first time in our history. (Seems that went under the radar)

Also we are apparently only the 3rd team in PL history to win the first 3 away games in a season without conceding a goal (others are man City and Chelsea)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think with how advanced Barkley is playing Conor could easily come on for him for the last five minutes and not risk anything. But I’m not going to sit here complaining after 5 wins from 7 including beating Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester.

There’s also a part of me curious on this - we have made so few subs that I think Dean is trying to prove a point to the squad/build an atmosphere that you play every game if you’re good enough... I just think it must be strategic. I can’t see how it won’t end in burnout if we do it all season but it is surely deliberate. Same as AEG - not a kick all season then two mins today. Does that mean he’s working hard in training and this was the reward? Is the idea it gets harder and harder to get in the side? I guess we will see!

• Like 1

Â