Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair who really wants to come on for 5-10 minutes to see the clock down. Ain’t worth putting your shin pads on. 

I think I would prefer to get 5-10 mins and know I was in the manager's thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Our results are proving that we can mix it with the top sides in the division. What we did to that Liverpool side doesnt happen. It just doesnt. It was no fluke, just see their results since. Whats more is we could and should really have hit double figures in that game. We just repeated the trick at Arsenal, 1 chalked off, plenty of other big chances. Could have had 5 or 6. This is Smithball coming to the fore in the Premier League for the first time. Then you have the brilliant classic away performance to beat top of the table Leicester. Seriously impressive results. 

If we can keep this first XI fit until the window opens, we really might be having the best season we’ve had in a very long time. Upcoming fixtures gives us a great chance to go on another winning run. The way we played on Sunday has reinvigorated us all after the frustrating defeats to Leeds & Soton. This side has goals in them and we can actually defend now. Deano has built something special, im convinced of it.

Love that. 

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Our results are proving that we can mix it with the top sides in the division. What we did to that Liverpool side doesnt happen. It just doesnt. It was no fluke, just see their results since. Whats more is we could and should really have hit double figures in that game. We just repeated the trick at Arsenal, 1 chalked off, plenty of other big chances. Could have had 5 or 6. This is Smithball coming to the fore in the Premier League for the first time. Then you have the brilliant classic away performance to beat top of the table Leicester. Seriously impressive results. 

If we can keep this first XI fit until the window opens, we really might be having the best season we’ve had in a very long time. Upcoming fixtures gives us a great chance to go on another winning run. The way we played on Sunday has reinvigorated us all after the frustrating defeats to Leeds & Soton. This side has goals in them and we can actually defend now. Deano has built something special, im convinced of it.

The result against Leicester reminded my of what Forest used to do when they were at their very best 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You know what. I was thinking about the start of our season and no doubt we’ve got some quality players and one of the best in Jack. But you  don’t just turn over both Arsenal and Liverpool without some very good coaching and tactics.

Hats off to Smith and the coaching team. Long may it continue. 

There is so clearly more game specific planning going on.

You can tell there is a plan,  not least because of the post match interviews where Dean and the players talk about the fact we had a specific plan and give our game away for the return fixture...;)

Its wonderful to see it having the desired effect and resulting in us dominating some teams start to finish. No doubt we will occasionally get it wrong, but signs are good so far that it will work more often than not. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You know what. I was thinking about the start of our season and no doubt we’ve got some quality players and one of the best in Jack. But you  don’t just turn over both Arsenal and Liverpool without some very good coaching and tactics.

Hats off to Smith and the coaching team. Long may it continue. 

Put 10 goals past Liverpool and Arsenal too, conceding 2. Beating Leicester in a tight tactical game too is a very good sign of our progress. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think we were good without being brilliant myself. Our Southampton second half was probably better than the Arsenal first.

Arsenal were rotten and fortunately with Dean Smith at the helm we went at them to win instead of sitting back hoping for a point.

We made them rotten....not being rude, but did you watch the game.

Dean made references to the clean sheet in his post match interview too.....He also made reference to the amount of duels being won,inc headers... Ollie made a reference to stopping them in midfield, as part of the plan......WE made them play below par, that was to our credit....and the longer the game went on the stronger we got and the weaker they got......We worked our bloody socks off, allied to some fine football.

In many cases teams are made to play poorly, thats the credit to the opposing team....In my opinion, its still one of the most significant elements of a game.

I thought we was better during the whole game against Arsenal, than anything I saw against Southampton.....but thats just mt view.

I thought that was our best game of the season so far.....and certainly the best game without the ball for yonks....that was impressive for me and a developing feature of our game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

We made them rotten....not being rude, but did you watch the game.

Dean made references to the clean sheet in his post match interview too.....He also made reference to the amount of duels being won,inc headers... Ollie made a reference to stopping them in midfield, as part of the plan......WE made them play below par, that was to our credit....and the longer the game went on the stronger we got and the weaker they got......We worked our bloody socks off, allied to some fine football.

In many cases teams are made to play poorly, thats the credit to the opposing team....In my opinion, its still one of the most significant elements of a game.

I thought we was better during the whole game against Arsenal, than anything I saw against Southampton.....but thats just mt view.

I thought that was our best game of the season so far.....and certainly the best game without the ball for yonks....that was impressive for me and a developing feature of our game.

I watched yeah. I don't think you look beyond the score in games.

We'll play well but draw or lose this season and you'll be back saying we're soft and Smith lost the tactical battle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I watched yeah. I don't think you look beyond the score in games.

We'll play well but draw or lose this season and you'll be back saying we're soft and Smith lost the tactical battle.

Thats laughable....I will only say we were soft, if we was....I don't recall, ever blaming smith for losing a tactical battle......I might say we was not working enough, I think tactics are very subjective, so I steer clear.....I am not anti - Smith, get that right out of your head.

That is complete contrary to what I do watch or think.....I like goals of course I do, ones for us , not against......and I will not hide the fact that I like winning, not losing...but I look for factors that relate to that....If we lose and don't work hard, I will say so. If we win and don't work hard, I will have noticed it, but keep stum, because how can you pick up on things openly when you win, without peeing folk off....I make no apologies, winning is everythink to me, but its not just what I notice or am aware of.

I have spent lines of text telling you, that my favourite players are CDM's, I talk about winning duels and winning the initiative.....I labour the point of closing down and stopping opposing players.......all of which we did Sunday and one of the reasons why I was so pleased.

I have told you I think Clean Sheets are a major feature of winning trophies.......and you come out with that line.

I think you need to look in the mirror, its actually you who only sees the offensive side of a game....I think you are so single minded in your view of a game.....its called the pot calling the kettle black.

I thinks its best, if we just avoid each others posts.....as we are poles apart in our appriasals of games.

I have not got a monopoly of what is right on football, just my views, and I am happy to be corrected by a stronger argument.....but you pick me up on the most ludicrous accusations, is it a wind up?😉

Edited by TRO

16 hours ago, zab6359 said:

So Trez ups his game because of competition for his place, money well spent imo!

Plus to early to judge Traore.

I don't think more competition was the reason Trez upped his game. Its not as if he was starting every game last season either, his position had always been under threat and I doubt Traore coming in was suddenly the kick in the pants he needed to put in more effort to be better. Particularly considering effort was the one thing we could never fault him on last season,.

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we win and don't work hard, I will have noticed it, but keep stum, because how can you pick up on things openly when you win, without peeing folk off.

Performance discussion all part of the forum. If we nick a win, it's a good thing. If we were only ever nicking wins, there would likely be something wrong with the performances.

No peeing off though. We all want Villa wins.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2020 at 20:32, Dave-R said:

VillaLad- I do not think there was much options around at the time. We needed a guy who played attacking football for a start. We needed a Coach who would implement new ways all while getting results. At the time our Managers came in it really did not look like there was much in the way of options. I mean we were going to bring Thiery Henry in lol, good job we didnt go there, right??

Yes our Owners do seem to know what they were doing but the timing Smith came in allowed us to shoot up the table. I do not think we would of had promotion that season if Smith had not of came in because of how long extra it would of taken to bring another Coach in. Remember as well no one hardly wanted to touch us in that way, Manager and Coach alike would of said no to the job. It's a tough crowd we have here at Villa and many a Manager/Coschhave been slaughtered by the fans.

Our Owners are very smart I do of course agree, but no matter how smart they are, it's also timing in the execution of there plans that aided getting us promoted. Same goes for the timing of how our players after Lockdown in a crazy way just ramped up there football ability and we survived. 

The other Coaches alongside Smith and himself of course there work has been wonderful, but Smith himself I really think he could be a massive Coach in this premier league.

I think Dean has been WIP from the start.....The thing he has brought to the club is cohesion......we are clearly developing, it is tangible, but at the start it was slower than it is now....but it is there to see.

Last season was tough and he had lots and lots to learn, that is difficult to quantify for some fans to grasp, me inc.....I had my doubts, at the same time of wanting it to work.

The recruitment during the summer has helped him enormously and despite the 2 disappointing set backs his team has reacted impressively, that is the sign of a good manager.

Dean still has much to learn, (as do we all), and despite his swashbuckling football with a huge tendency to attack, (which is a great spectacle) I have noticed, he is starting to embrace and comment on the defensive side, referencing Clean Sheets and winning duels....I guess all these things take time, but that attracts varying opinions of how long.

I think Dean will eventually make his name with us.....The top manager we all crave, will be him, like Ron Before him, his team with make his name....He has owners who have the wherewithal to support him, and will do so, that is a major filip for him.

We still have some way to go, in terms of consistency, mainly.....but its a great ride so far.....and to date, I couldn't expect anymore in general.

Dean seems to attract good souls too, Like Shakey, JT could go anywhere, but stayed the course, all things testimony to Deans leadership and character, all a reflection of the cohesion he has created.

There will be further set backs like Southampton and Leeds and things to moan about, about specific games........But I think the overall is on the right lines and Dean will preside over it.

He is a relatively young manager, he will make mistakes.....but I think we have a good un, in the making.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He’s living up to everything I hoped for the day we got him in. I remember watching QPR away in his second game, live on Sky and thinking how quickly and drastically he’d implemented his style on the squad. We were brilliant, but somehow managed to lose. Fast forward to today, and I think of all the records he has broken. All he has achieved in such a short space of time. Plenty of history has been written in such a small period of management (2 years). Last season was tough, but it was always going to be. So thankful we have owners who arent trigger happy. We needed stability even if we went down. Dean knows this club better than anyone, and what it needs, and what the fans want. He has delivered, and then some. Never have we had it this good at the start of a season playing such an enjoyable brand of football. This is his team now, he is loving every moment of it as much as we are. We are so fortunate that everything has fallen perfectly into place since that full time whistle went in the play off final against Fulham.

The chain of events has been a rollercoaster but its all been worth it to get where we are now. We are acting like a big club, finally. God Bless Glen Whelan, The Cabbage, NSWE, Dean Smith and Captain Gresford. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He’s living up to everything I hoped for the day we got him in. I remember watching QPR away in his second game, live on Sky and thinking how quickly and drastically he’d implemented his style on the squad. We were brilliant, but somehow managed to lose. Fast forward to today, and I think of all the records he has broken. All he has achieved in such a short space of time. Plenty of history has been written in such a small period of management (2 years). Last season was tough, but it was always going to be. So thankful we have owners who arent trigger happy. We needed stability even if we went down. Dean knows this club better than anyone, and what it needs, and what the fans want. He has delivered, and then some. Never have we had it this good at the start of a season playing such an enjoyable brand of football. This is his team now, he is loving every moment of it as much as we are. We are so fortunate that everything has fallen perfectly into place since that full time whistle went in the play off final against Fulham.

The chain of events has been a rollercoaster but its all been worth it to get where we are now. We are acting like a big club, finally. God Bless Glen Whelan, The Cabbage, NSWE, Dean Smith and Captain Gresford. 

Couldn't agree more!

Â