Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We don't have enough quality up front on the bench, we need a striker who actually has scored a goal in his career coming on and giving us something different and Ming's has been poor and sloppy recently, he should of death with wood better before the scored their first goal,

So frustrating to loose that game

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

The lack of subs is a really lazy point to make. We were the better team comfortably and the players on our bench are all proven to be not very good. If he made the subs at 60 minutes or even at 2-1 up and we go on to lose then the same people would be questioning him for the subs.

The time that I’ll moan at him for making late subs is when his best options don’t include a striker who never scores and a winger who’s best attribute is defending.

We’re a very good first eleven now but a paper thin squad which is going to make having games twice a week more of an issue for us than many other teams in the league.

95% agree but he could've switched Bert out for El Ghazi who's been in fine form and let JJ have a run out - McGinn and Douglas weren't pulling up trees after all.

42 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

We are far to easy to beat. 7 losses this season already and I'm gonna be brutally honest and compare us to Leeds in that we are almost to gung ho. Should drop Barkley for Sanson and play a flatter midfield 3 in future games. The right cm should then also help with cover on the wing which we are prone to being double uppped on. 

Have zero issue with us losing a few more to win a few more. Only have to look back to some of the seasons in early 00s when it seemed like we drew nearly half the games during the season.

In 00/01 we only lost 10 games but drew 15 and finished 8th on 54 points. 7 points off 6th which was a very realistic finishing position for us in those times.

01/02 we also finished 8th with 14 draws and just 12 wins = 50 points.

Mad this season we could easily win more than 12 games and finish only about 10th. Get a point at Southampton and we'd still be on course for a 60 point season.

Edited by VillaChris

42 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Please please please Dean stop the zonal marking

Something has to change there. It was comical how easy that first goal was for Burnley. 

46 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Yeah fair enough. I would say that it’s easy to come on and criticise him for not making subs in hindsight having lost a game of football. 

We were criticising him for subs from 60 minutes when it was clear mcginn, barkley and traore were dead on their feet and well off it. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Please please please Dean stop the zonal marking

Do we not do that hybrid thing that most teams seem to do now?  Midfielders sort of man marking but to block/disrupt, so when the ball comes into the box, Mings/Konsa should be able to get to it first?

It looked like Luiz was given the job to block off Wood, but he basically stood aside and said 'have a free run at the ball'

The only change I would have made is Nakamba for Ross and then going to a 433 with Nakamba or Douglas sitting. What they started doing was dropping the ball into the front man and going from there. They started to occupy the space where a number 6 usually sits. 

But the signing of Sanson gives us that tactical flexibility for Smith to make changes earlier if needed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AV82 said:

95% agree but he could've switched Bert out for El Ghazi who's been in fine form and let JJ have a run out - McGinn and Douglas weren't pulling up trees after all.

Oh I don’t doubt he could have made subs. Whether they’d have had much impact on the game is questionable though. In reality we couldn’t deal with some pretty basic long balls and crosses and that cost us in the second half. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am awed by the steps the club has taken under him. Bar city we play the most beautiful football in this league. By some distance.

A positive comment! Hurrah!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am awed by the steps the club has taken under him. Bar city we play the most beautiful football in this league. By some distance.

We are certainly exciting to watch. Commentators have been fawning over us last few games, Carragher in particular. 

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Had some time to chill out and reflect on the game a little bit. I've firmly been in the "I think we'll finish midtable" camp all year, and that in itself would be massive progress from where we were last season.

So with that in mind, we'll have more games like today throughout the season and we'll probably still comfortably finish mid table. The frustrations come because we're so close to being a really good team. Just need a couple more solid additions and we can then start thinking about pushing for Europe or whatever. Smith has still done an unbelievable job with us, and we're playing some of the best football I can remember at times. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Jack himself said at the start 8 - 12 was probably the aim.

Looking at the table, and teams above, 8th could very well be our 'title'.

9 place improvement that. 

Considering how much money everyone above us as spent over the years it would still be some feat.

Still ALOT of season left to play and we could very well still go on a good run, whilst others fall off.

• Like 2

If we were more clinical we'd have won most games this season by 3 or 4. Looking at all our defeats in isolation only really Leeds last 30 minutes, Southampton first 25 minutes and the man city game where I thought we were heroic yet still dangerous for decent portions of the game , no team has outplayed us. We have been the better team in every game except the ones I've mentioned imo. 

Next season we'll be more clinical all over the park. Excellent work done by our coaches and players. But we need that last 2/3% from all of them except Jack who's easily one of the top 5 players in the world atm. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jack himself said at the start 8 - 12 was probably the aim.

Looking at the table, and teams above, 8th could very well be our 'title'.

9 place improvement that. 

Considering how much money everyone above us as spent over the years it would still be some feat.

Still ALOT of season left to play and we could very well still go on a good run, whilst others fall off.

That’s true, I forgot that. Problem is, this season, the Europe spots are up for the taking from the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea. We need to take advantage of that. We still haven’t played half our season yet, plenty of hope yet. 

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

To put it mildly......They are not natural CDM's 

Â