Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

We might not have faced those chances had he subbed off the knackered ones is all that most of us are saying (ignoring the obvious troll), I’m not sure how you can’t see the argument has merit?

Who was knackered for their third goal then? Cash didn't cut out the cross but, more importantly, Mings passed Wood onto Targett who had an aerial disadvantage. Mings should have stuck with Wood and then he probably doesn't score. 

Just now, Villarocker said:

Who was knackered for their third goal then? Cash didn't cut out the cross but, more importantly, Mings passed Wood onto Targett who had an aerial disadvantage. Mings should have stuck with Wood and then he probably doesn't score. 

If Mings doesn't pass Woods on then Vydra is unmarked in front of goal. Mings doesn't have telepathy to know where the cross is going. 

If anything Emi needs to get across to make the save. I feel like he got caught flat footed. Header wasn't moving fast at all. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Think we're better off playing him and having Jack out on the left than reshuffling to accommodate someone like AEG or Trez, as a lot of the time they'd be less effectual. 

Jack and Barkley are too similar and occupy the same positions. Just play jack in his best position and el ghazi left wing. 

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

If Mings doesn't pass Woods on then Vydra is unmarked in front of goal. Mings doesn't have telepathy to know where the cross is going. 

If anything Emi needs to get across to make the save. I feel like he got caught flat footed. Header wasn't moving fast at all. 

Mings never got anywhere near goalside of Vydra so that was pointless. He passed him on and he shouldn't have done. Konsa was between the cross and Vydra. 

The lack of subs is a really lazy point to make. We were the better team comfortably and the players on our bench are all proven to be not very good. If he made the subs at 60 minutes or even at 2-1 up and we go on to lose then the same people would be questioning him for the subs.

The time that I’ll moan at him for making late subs is when his best options don’t include a striker who never scores and a winger who’s best attribute is defending.

We’re a very good first eleven now but a paper thin squad which is going to make having games twice a week more of an issue for us than many other teams in the league.

• Like 4

Just now, tom_avfc said:

The lack of subs is a really lazy point to make. We were the better team comfortably and the players on our bench are all proven to be not very good. If he made the subs at 60 minutes or even at 2-1 up and we go on to lose then the same people would be questioning him for the subs.

The time that I’ll moan at him for making late subs is when his best options don’t include a striker who never scores and a winger who’s best attribute is defending.

We’re a very good first eleven now but a paper thin squad which is going to make having games twice a week more of an issue for us than many other teams in the league.

Completely baseless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Completely agree

• Like 2

I agree that the subs might not have changed the outcome, my point is that in at least several games he’s left it very late to make any changes. Whether that is due to the quality on the bench, I’m not sure. I’d like to see more proactive changes made.

We are far to easy to beat. 7 losses this season already and I'm gonna be brutally honest and compare us to Leeds in that we are almost to gung ho. Should drop Barkley for Sanson and play a flatter midfield 3 in future games. The right cm should then also help with cover on the wing which we are prone to being double uppped on. 

26 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

These “freak results” seem to happen to us far too often to suggest they are anything but freak in my opinion.... we just aren’t clinical enough as a team and until that changes teams will always have a chance against us even if we go 1-0 up.

Is that why up until tonight we and Leicester were the only remaining teams that had a 100% win record after scoring first???

What a load of nonsense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Yeah fair enough. I would say that it’s easy to come on and criticise him for not making subs in hindsight having lost a game of football. 

The late subs/changes have been a recurrent theme for his tenure here and been pointed out numerous times. If referenced when we lose its "reactionary hindsight" and if ever when we get a result "we've won why moan" or  "we've won yet some people still want to use the subs as a stick to beat him with".

Imagine if people could have different opinions without the alternate automatically being labelled as 'lazy" or"moaning for moanings sake" etc.

• Like 1

Very frustrating to lose tonight after conceding 2 soft goals... their third was a fantastic header to be fair.

Their goals were a result of players not doing their job and competing.

That said, there were long periods in that first half where I don't remember a Villa team playing so brilliantly. It really was breathtaking in parts.

Dean's doing an absolutely fabulous job and I don't doubt the players who didn't bother tracking Mee and the others who were simply outfought will be on the receiving end of the Smith hairdryer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Dean's doing an absolutely fabulous job and I don't doubt the players who didn't bother tracking Mee and the others who were simply outfought will be on the receiving end of the Smith hairdryer.

I really hope Dean can get in a player's face when needed.

Â