Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Genuinely curious as to how the defence, which has looked so solid all season, suddenly looked wobbly as soon as it faced long balls from a bunch of talentless orcs?

They're a bit of a rarity these days, Burnley, in that they try and get the ball wide and just hit two strikers who are (predominantly) very good in the air.  There's no other team like them in the Premier League.

I guess, to that extent, they don't particularly need a playing rhythm or anything because they're only ever looking to play one way and if it works, it works.  If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Clearly not his fault that we conceded some extremely cheap goals. The defence and Emi didn’t cover themselves in glory but there was also a huge slice of luck for their 2nd.

But it does need to be said Barkley hadn’t looked great all game and him and Traore were getting progressively worse/sloppy as the game went on, changes were 15/20 minutes late. I don’t really understand why some get so wound up with this opinion to be honest.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

2-1 up - it's a villa win all day long. No one saw that coming - there was no hint of Burnley equaliser - let alone a winner.

Most games this season - Martinez stops those last 2 - can't really blame DS for not seeing that.

The game wasn't over. They had more possession and were making attacking substitutes Smith let's teams back into games because he refuses to make appropriate changes. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So its a guarantee us making subs stops that? This is the Laughable thing about the same people moaning about them. Its like FM/Fifa syndrome. It works on there so it must always work in real life. 

We missed endless chances. That's cost us the game. Not subs. 

4-0 at the half easy. Burnley did the same to us last season. Can't let them hang around. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I disagree a bit. Yeah we should've had the game wrapped up at half time but you're always going to get plenty of games over a season where that dosen't happen.

I can understand holding off at 1-1 but when it's 2-2 and 15 minutes left there's the game still to be won and opportunity for fresh legs.

Doubt anyone will want to but watch the 5 minutes again between 2-2 and 3-2, total lack of composure with us smashing miskicking clearances all over the pitch and ball constantly coming back to us, no foot hold when we needed to calm the game down a bit as I think Burnley would've taken 2-2 no danger.

Didn't get him putting on Davis as a last resort either. His cameo wasn't pretty but not sure what he could do in three minutes. Either DS has faith in him or he dosen't so surely he should've been in the double sub change.

This dosen't mean DS hasn't done a superb job all season but there are still things to improve on.

Dont think any of the subs we put on were much of anything today.

We really became our own enemy in that second half. Burnley scraped the bottom of the barrel for that win and it paid off

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry not wanting to have a pop, but they are right in a sense.

As I always say, its the only gripe I consistently have with Deano.

YES, shit defending and not taking chances cost us, however changes SHOULD have been made earlier IMO.

Changes obviously don't guarantee results either, but Barkley at least should have been off time ago.

Dyche started making changes as they came back into the game, and his changes played a part in getting him the win.

Anyway, we go again. UTV!

I don’t think he actually trust those on the bench that much. As well as El Ghazi did in recent weeks he is not up for a physical battle and that’s what Burnley gave us. They were always going to have a good spell and they just happened to score too goals out of nothing. They weren’t even big chances.   I don’t personally think subs would have helped. It was just a weird game. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Just now, VillanousOne said:

not blaming Dean for making the subs at all, but unfortunately that killed off all attacking threat dead.

This is the thing, really - while Trez and AEG have had an uptick in form lately, when they're playing the average game, they're not up to much. 

• Like 1

Have to take it on the chin and move on. I think the dithering with the subs was a factor but that equaliser really spurred Burnley on. Once again we're not scoring the quantiry of goals we should be for the chances created. Very annoying. If we can beat Southampton I'll feel better! 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Its just the same people, who only tactical things they can moan at is subs. Like I said, its an easy moan for people who want a moan.

Its not a moan, It’s a valid argument that Dean is weak when it comes to making subs, it doesn’t mean we haven’t been playing well in spite of that. He just needs to see when players are getting tired/new legs needed.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Its just the same people, who only tactical things they can moan at is subs. Like I said, its an easy moan for people who want a moan.

You know me I don't make excuses- on the whole you get what deserve.

But a goalie who's been unbelievable all season - has 2 ropey moments in 10 minutes ? - how can Smith see that coming ?

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

You know me I don't make excuses- on the whole you get what deserve.

But a goalie who's been unbelievable all season - has 2 ropey moments in 10 minutes ? - how can Smith see that coming ?

I think that's harsh on Emi tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

not blaming Dean for making the subs at all, but unfortunately that killed off all attacking threat dead.

Because mcginn was lifeless. We left him as the solo midfielder and he could barely make a pass. Why sub Luiz over him it makes no **** sense. 

We play to feet to our wingers instead of letting them run onto it. El ghazi and Trez beat their men when they are running at them not from a standing start. They don't have that level of close control. 

Just now, VillanousOne said:

Barkley and McGinn have not earnt their places in this side with recent performances.

Would much rather see Nakamba and El Ghazi play.

1st para - you may have point.

2nd Para explains why Barkley and Mcginn start.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

They scored 5 goals in their first 8 home games and they scored 3 in 29 minutes tonight whilst being considerably outclassed, freak result.

xG has to be almost 4. Even conceding 3 we should have easily won. 

• Like 2

At 2 - 1 most dangerous scoreline...so they say.

Dean has done good things this year.

However he does seem to make mistakes consistently on basics.

Timing of subs.....getting the the team to tighten up for 10 kill the game...keep retreating...rather than cutting the threat out.

Say it everytime...hope they all learn from it...big slip up on 3 points.

On to the next 

• Like 1

Â