Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think subs were a factor, but they don't tell the whole story, that second goal was ludicrous. It was clear that McGinn and Barkley were dead on their feet though, we should have changed it up much earlier IMO. 

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

People complaining about subs must have missed the first half. How would subbing attackers fix the fact our defense let in 3 very soft goals. 

Maybe because we would have kept the ball better or traore wouldn't have been on the pitch to let his man run for all 3 goals? 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

How can anyone blame subs? 

Game should have been over at half time and they scored a cross. 

2-1 up - it's a villa win all day long. No one saw that coming - there was no hint of Burnley equaliser - let alone a winner.

Most games this season - Martinez stops those last 2 - can't really blame DS for not seeing that.

• Thanks 1

Well, I dont know what to say really about that second half apart from gobsmacked.

Fair play to Burnley they took it to us in the second half, but I felt we was hard done in the end and both teams deserved something from the game 

Again though, yes we scored two goals but we really should be scoring more from our chances and putting a couple more away with the shots we had.

I'm a fair bit gutted by our second half performance and there was some very questionable defending where two goals could of easy been intercepted. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Shit defending and not taking chances cost us. Anybody that knows anything about football would know that. 

edit: suppose it helps if you watch the games. 

I disagree a bit. Yeah we should've had the game wrapped up at half time but you're always going to get plenty of games over a season where that dosen't happen.

I can understand holding off at 1-1 but when it's 2-2 and 15 minutes left there's the game still to be won and opportunity for fresh legs.

Doubt anyone will want to but watch the 5 minutes again between 2-2 and 3-2, total lack of composure with us smashing miskicking clearances all over the pitch and ball constantly coming back to us, no foot hold when we needed to calm the game down a bit as I think Burnley would've taken 2-2 no danger.

Didn't get him putting on Davis as a last resort either. His cameo wasn't pretty but not sure what he could do in three minutes. Either DS has faith in him or he dosen't so surely he should've been in the double sub change.

This dosen't mean DS hasn't done a superb job all season but there are still things to improve on.

• Like 1

Shit happens, fair play to Burnley, not sure how they did it but they were a combination of lucky and clinical while we were the opposite. 

Much like the West Ham game I'm disappointed but not discouraged, performance wise we're leaps and bounds ahead of where we were and it's only the fine margins that we're occasionally failing on at the moment.

Only worry is that psychologically these games can be a big hit, important for us to really bounce back from it at the weekend.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Shit defending and not taking chances cost us. Anybody that knows anything about football would know that. 

edit: suppose it helps if you watch the games. 

6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

One of the times when the delayed sub change trait he does actually backfired for us. He always seems to react late. 

Sorry not wanting to have a pop, but they are right in a sense.

As I always say, its the only gripe I consistently have with Deano.

YES, shit defending and not taking chances cost us, however changes SHOULD have been made earlier IMO.

Changes obviously don't guarantee results either, but Barkley at least should have been off time ago.

Dyche started making changes as they came back into the game, and his changes played a part in getting him the win.

Anyway, we go again. UTV!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

How can you say this, Burnley's subs changed the match 🤦🏻‍♂️

So its a guarantee us making subs stops that? This is the Laughable thing about the same people moaning about them. Its like FM/Fifa syndrome. It works on there so it must always work in real life. 

We missed endless chances. That's cost us the game. Not subs. 

• Like 1

Completely battered them in the first half but didn't take our chances, that's what has cost us 3 points tonight. 

Mid table would be great for me, I'm not thinking about Europe but if that's different for Villa and we want top 7/6 this season well results like that and a couple others this season are what will let us down. I've always thought we'll just eventually run out of steam and finish 10th or so but even still that's a really disappointing one tonight. We completely threw it away, haven't felt this let down from a Villa result in quite some time which I guess is a sign of progress. 

Southampton next as well who always manage to completely smash us. Not ideal. 

On the whole, we don't really change our side that often and it's served us very well so far this season.

I think the lack of subs is a fair criticism when the game is getting away from us and we're not changing things up.

This was not tonight.  It's just one of those games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

2-1 up - it's a villa win all day long. No one saw that coming - there was no hint of Burnley equaliser - let alone a winner.

Most games this season - Martinez stops those last 2 - can't really blame DS for not seeing that.

Its just the same people, who only tactical things they can moan at is subs. Like I said, its an easy moan for people who want a moan.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Genuinely curious as to how the defence, which has looked so solid all season, suddenly looked wobbly as soon as it faced long balls from a bunch of talentless orcs?

They're pretty much the best in the business at those sort of goals. It's not something you face very often these days in the prem. 

Â