Dean Smith

Demitri_C

43 minutes ago, PaulC said:

McGinn wins his fair share of tackles doesn't he. 

Hmmm....sometimes....not enough for me, prefers to intercept in transition, not moaning at that, but you need to send a message at times, like "i'm going have you".....you can't keep shadowing or marshalling.

I think he would prefer to play further up the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villa 59 said:

It's really difficult to criticize Deano after the improvements we have made this season but I think at 2-1 last night we needed to sub Barkley and Traore. Barkley could barely run and ducked out on a couple of tackles. Cash was exposed down our right side and had insufficient support from Traore.

For me Nakamba for Barkley and Trezeguet for Traore 

First post so don't be too harsh on me

You’re right, Traore and Barkley were the obvious ones to be replaced, preferably abound the 65-75 minute mark.

• Like 1

El Ghazi was on red hot form and got dropped, Nakamba played well got dropped. Hause (before his injury) played well and got dropped, kinda sends a poor message to the squad that even if they come in and do well they will get dropped when Dean's favourites are fit or even 70% fit if you're McGinn and Barkley.

Appreciate Dean wants to play his best players, but it sometimes feels that they don't earn their places.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

El Ghazi was on red hot form and got dropped, Nakamba played well got dropped. Hause (before his injury) played well and got dropped, kinda sends a poor message to the squad that even if they come in and do well they will get dropped when Dean's favourites are fit or even 70% fit if you're McGinn and Barkley.

Appreciate Dean wants to play his best players, but it sometimes feels that they don't earn their places.

Would imagine Barkley playing when fit is part of the loan agreement. McGinn @70% > Nakamba - even though he was tidy enough last game. 

Traore first choice winger every time if Jack is playing opposite. 

Dropping Hause was harsh. 

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

Would imagine Barkley playing when fit is part of the loan agreement. McGinn @70% > Nakamba - even though he was tidy enough last game. 

Traore first choice winger every time if Jack is playing opposite. 

Dropping Hause was harsh. 

you know what, i did wonder if Barkley would have a clause in his contract that he must start when fit or something?

Part of me thinks normally no, but after our near relegation last season, i wonder if we were in a position where we might have to agree to something like that to get him?, dunno.

re other comments above, i agree it was rough to drop Hause, he didnt really put a foot wrong from what i saw, but can also see why Mings game back in.

In terms of El Ghazi, to me he is basically John Mabry from Moneyball, he has a hot run, you gotta realise you just won the lottery and cash out, El Ghazi isnt a first 11 player, not by a long shot (imo), yes he had a good run, but for me it was just "we hit the jackpot at the cards table, dont keep betting until you lose, cash out and take the win while its still a win"

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

you know what, i did wonder if Barkley would have a clause in his contract that he must start when fit or something?

Part of me things normally no, but after our near relegation last season, i wonder if we were in a position where we might have to agree to something like that to get him?, dunno.

Yeah, Smith made it clear he was coming for game time to try and get in the Euros squad. Easy to forget we didn’t look that attractive last season, not a bit like we do now where it’s a genuine question over whether we want Ross Barkley as a starter or not!! 

20 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yeah, Smith made it clear he was coming for game time to try and get in the Euros squad. Easy to forget we didn’t look that attractive last season, not a bit like we do now where it’s a genuine question over whether we want Ross Barkley as a starter or not!! 

it shows you how far we've come that we ask that question.

We have a lot of talented attacking options but we need a few grafters in midfield to do the dirty work the likes of Barkley won't. Maybe Sanson is that player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

This upsets me too. Not an issue if you win, but lose and it warrants being flagged.

I think the next game has to see Barkley dropped after that performance.  If it doesn't, then we know somethings up.

• Like 1

Might be something in this clause thing.   Barkley was almost fit and training for weeks before he got a place back in the team after injury.   Maybe Smith thought saying that was a way around the must play if fit stipulation?

32 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Might be something in this clause thing.   Barkley was almost fit and training for weeks before he got a place back in the team after injury.   Maybe Smith thought saying that was a way around the must play if fit stipulation?

He’s quite clearly not match fit 

13 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

It's really difficult to criticize Deano after the improvements we have made this season but I think at 2-1 last night we needed to sub Barkley and Traore. Barkley could barely run and ducked out on a couple of tackles. Cash was exposed down our right side and had insufficient support from Traore.

Nice first post, but doesn't quite match the highs of @Pissflaps

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Welcome! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Couldn't disagree more. Hause and Nakamba playing well for the odd game doesn't mean they earn a place over what Mings and Mcginn or luiz have been doing. 

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Dean to Sky sports saying no more deals in January, he’s happy with his squad.  

Sorry I don’t have a link

I seen that too, was really hoping we would get a back up striker in,

Hopefully this means that Wesley is nearly ready to provide that

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Dean to Sky sports saying no more deals in January, he’s happy with his squad.  

Sorry I don’t have a link

Makes sense tbf. It can definitely be improved upon but the standard of player we're looking for is harder to come by and will require a lot of diligence. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ben said:

I seen that too, was really hoping we would get a back up striker in,

Hopefully this means that Wesley is nearly ready to provide that

Yeah, as I've mentioned plenty of times, only the central striker area I'm worried about in terms of back up or alternative to Watkins.  Just hope Wes is back shortly but just feel it's going to take time for him to be back up to speed and some on this forum wont give him anytime if he doesnt hit the ground running.

Edited by nick76

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Couldn't disagree more. Hause and Nakamba playing well for the odd game doesn't mean they earn a place over what Mings and Mcginn or luiz have been doing. 

Ultimately no one should be undroppable or be automatic choices if they are consistently underperforming.

Also sometimes you need players who do the basics well like Nakamba or Hause because it means other players are free'd up to shine at what they do best.

Â