Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm still dumbfounded that people are slating Wesley. He uprooted himself into a new culture playing high pressure, physical football that he wasn't used to and left alone up front with little service from our wide men even though he's used to playing in a front 2. He had games where he struggled - but he also had a few gems.

How is it, then, that with more time in the league and more time to adjust to the culture people are certain he couldn't improve? There was certainly enough there for me not to write him off completely - but it seems instant gratification is the only way nowadays.

Don’t worry, Luiz will have a couple of bad games at some point and he’ll be written off again. We write off everyone at some point :)

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

Citing Wesley is a cheap shot. The same voices were condemning Luiz as a failure in March. David Platt was a slow burn.

So slow in fact that SGT worried whether he had overpaid for him

£200,000 

Dear God

What's these rumours saying Suso is leaving his post, one of the reasons said is because of the difference of opinion with Purslow. Has to be deeper than that really. You would imagine that if Suso leaves it's because of his work on his signings and how much better they could of been alot of them.

Out of all the signings I see two who have been good, yet even Luiz and Mings have had troubles, Luiz has looked the best since restart without a doubt. Really though none of them have been magical and youd expect a few to of lived upto the hype. Since restart many have been better yes, but they could of been tons better.

So if Suso leaves then who would you want brought in to replace him??? or do you have any ideas who could take his place???  I have no idea to be honest.

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Hmmm... Bit of a weird move this imo. We obviously had a limited amount of cash to spend, and to rebuild a whole Premier League team with an average cost of £9m per player is pretty good going, even though we only just scrapped through.

Not really sure what else we could have expected?

Yeah but if theres a chance Suso could of done better with signings which looks the case then you know it's best to find someone much better now before next window or we could end up back in another dog fight for relegation.

Get this move right and we should be fine for a strong season.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

How would you feel if we didn't sign another striker before next season starts ?

I wouldn't be happy. We need depth here as we had NO cover when Wesley got injured and quickly panic-bought Samatta.

That doesn't mean we can't get a better striker than Wesley - in fact, that is exactly what we should be doing for every position we buy in - but that doesn't write off Wesley at all.

This is another tough call. It may be better to learn from our mistakes than to change management again. 

it might be that Suso was asked to shop in lidl rather than Waitrose. This summer we will need 4/5 players rather than 10 so hopefully we can get a better quality of player. 

one thing which does need to change is we should be open to taking on a loan or buying a senior player with experience to bolster the team 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Michael Emenalo?

9 hours ago, deeps said:

Yeah it’s him. He’s available too

8 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Michael Emanalo would be a real coup, he transformed Chelsea’s strategy and developed their youth academy. He’s appeared in a few articles recently discussing discrimination in football. I’m sure I recall Purslow talking about the lack of BAME representation at board level in the sport, or have I imagined that? Wonder if Emanalo was already on his mind at that point? 

I recognised seeing the name but didn’t know much about him. Just read on article on him in the guardian. Seems an interesting figure who has done wonders at Chelsea. Struggled at Monaco by all accounts and did appoint Henry, but he could be a very interesting move. He’s wants to come back to the prem, and if he is a good relationship with Purslow then it makes sense. But again, he needs to be given time, you’re not going to get instant success.

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

What's these rumours saying Suso is leaving his post, one of the reasons said is because of the difference of opinion with Purslow. Has to be deeper than that really. You would imagine that if Suso leaves it's because of his work on his signings and how much better they could of been alot of them.

Out of all the signings I see two who have been good, yet even Luiz and Mings have had troubles, Luiz has looked the best since restart without a doubt. Really though none of them have been magical and youd expect a few to of lived upto the hype. Since restart many have been better yes, but they could of been tons better.

So if Suso leaves then who would you want brought in to replace him??? or do you have any ideas who could take his place???  I have no idea to be honest.

Get the head of recruitment at Wolves, and pay him whatever he wants. 

Good news for the club. We bought a lot of junk in the Summer, needless risks which will be a headache to move on.

The problem with Wesley was not just the price, it because he’s been really poor. If he’d scored goals nobody would question the price. Then you look at his record, it wasn’t great in a division far weaker than the PL... why was he being tipped up as our main source of goals?

Everybody buys the odd dud, the problem was we went after too many players that on the face of it were unlikely to hit the ground running due to where they were playing. 

Edited by Genie

Surprised by this. Ruthless and harsh on Suso, he had a very difficult job, but it seems the new owners and Purslow can really be cutthroat. This move shows what their thinking has been throughout the season regarding the team struggles. 

It's really interesting which signings were Suso's and whether he had overruled Smith's or someone else's opinion on players in order to get his targets in. While some players' values may have decreased, I really don't think there were complete flops,  disregarding Drinkwater. Jury's still out on a lot of the new players and I can see the majority of them improving in their second season. I really wouldn't want to see a clearout, a lot of these players can be good squad options for next season and continuity will help the team grow. 

Hopefully they are able to bring someone great to replace him and that his departure wouldn't affect this summer's recruiting. Exciting times. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

31 minutes ago, bretonvilla said:

Get the head of recruitment at Wolves, and pay him whatever he wants. 

I think Jorge Mendes makes enough money from Wolves to be tempted 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't agree, nothing you can say will change my mind I'm afraid. I don't think £22m for a striker in the PL is big money.

You say £22m is big money for the majority of clubs in the Prem? Sorry but you are just wrong, factually wrong.

Liverpool -h £34m Salah 2017

Man City - £38m Aguero 2011

Man United - £75m Lukaku 2017

Chelsea - £45m Werner - 2020

Leicester City - £32m Perez - 2020

Spurs - £25m Moura - 2018 (a fee exclipsed since for players in other positions but they've not spent on strikers significantly because of Son and Kane

Wolves - £38m Jimenez 2019

Arsenal - £72m Pepe 2019

Sheff United - £22m on Berge (granted not a striker but helps put the £22m for Wesley in some context - also from Belgium league in same season)

Burnley - Yep I'll give you this one

Southampton - £20m Ings 2019

Everton - Richarlison - £35m rising with add on's in 2018

Newcastle - £40m Joelinton -  2019

Palace - £28m Benteke - 2016

Brighton - £20m Maupay - 2019

West Ham - £45m Haller - 2019

Villa - £22m Wesley - 2019

Bournemouth - £19m Solanke - 2018

Watford - £27m Sarr - 2020

Norwich - Yep its a lot to them

The fact that they have spent it doesn't mean it's not big money. It's factually more than the average player cost in the league, which you can argue means it's big money. So factually I'd say he's correct and you're not. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The fact that they have spent it doesn't mean it's not big money. It's factually more than the average player cost in the league, which you can argue means it's big money. So factually I'd say he's correct and you're not. 

Thats just the forwards though. Has been many other players bought for more. I doubt Wesley is in the top 50 Premier League signings by cost

As i posted earlier only 4 teams have a lower record transfer 

Â