Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well it's our record signing so in that context it is a lot of money. I doubt is current value is anywhere near that should we wish to sell him.

Which is largely irrelevant given we were in the Championship for three years during which priced increased considerably. 

It isn't a lot of money. Jolinton cost almost twice as much.

Would we get the same for him if we sold him, no probably not but that an entirely different point. It wasn't a lot of money for a PL striker.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Think that's a bit of a stretch. I mean what else is McGinn going to say?

He didn't have to say anything.

It's just one of things I've noticed over the years ....it could be nothing he might have just said the first thing that popped into his head. Theres even a debate about what quality is......on paper Engels could be classed as a quality signing......

there was always going to be a fall guy, and with fan support towards DS being as high as they were a year ago it was never going to be him. it's a clear message from the board that attribute blame to the recruitment last summer and also that whilst happy to have stayed up, they are clearly far from happy at how close we were to going down.

interesting though, that many of the signings whilst criticised heavily and deservedly throughout the season, ended up being among the heroes that kept us up. trez scored 3 of the most important goals of our season, luiz's post lockdown performances drove the team on to many of the good results we had, guilbert's performance vs arsenal, konsa's development etc etc

i think he's been used as a scapegoat and is easy + cheap to get rid of. fan support towards him isn't great anyway so unlikely to ruffle and feathers. that's not to say i'm sad he's gone or anything, i think we got the overall strategy wrong last summer, but suso wasn't left to do it on his own. DS and purslow are just as culpable IMO. hopefully whatever the strategy of last summer was is ripped up and started again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

He scored 1 less goal in around same time as Benteke debut season and Benteke finished on 19. I remember people were writing off Benteke mid debut season too.

Also people are just not comprehending the money paid for PL players last 5 years. Bournemouth paid more for Solanke several seasons ago I believe

Yeah but Wesley couldn't control the ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Which is largely irrelevant given we were in the Championship for three years during which priced increased considerably. 

It isn't a lot of money. Jolinton cost almost twice as much.

Would we get the same for him if we sold him, no probably not but that an entirely different point. It wasn't a lot of money for a PL striker.

No way would anyone pay 22M for wesley now .....buy almost any measure we haven't had 22M worth from him , I don't know but had wesley scored 15 goals I reckon suso might still be in our employ.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah but Wesley couldn't control the ball.

Looked pretty good the game he got injured. It's tough to play in the best league when half the team is brought in last minute due to horrible team building by Bruce

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Benteke missed chance after chance against Bradford though. His control wasn't the best initially.

Ok if wesley comes back and replicates what benteke did here fine ....he would be well worth 22m .....but considering his best season anywhere was 11 goals ....odds very much against.

Just now, hippo said:

No way would anyone pay 22M for wesley now .....buy almost any measure we haven't had 22M worth from him , I don't know but had wesley scored 15 goals I reckon suso might still be in our employ.

I'm not saying they would so I'm not sure why you are laboring that point. I'm not saying we've had £22m worth from him, afterall it would be pretty impressive if we had in 6 months so I think that's a bit of a daft point.

I don't think Suso lost his job due to Wesley.

My original point was £22m isn't a lot of money for a striker in the PL, I won't change my view on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He scored 1 less goal in around same time as Benteke debut season and Benteke finished on 19. I remember people were writing off Benteke mid debut season too.

Also people are just not comprehending the money paid for PL players last 5 years. Bournemouth paid more for Solanke several seasons ago I believe

Benteke looked 10 x the player.

Wesley might come good. You never know with player development, but it doesn't change the fact he's looked like an amateur. He went more backwards than forward. Least lethal striker I can remember. Felt like playing with 10 men. 

He has the size of a superhero, but falls over after a duel with feather weight ballers. He's 7 feet tall, yet can't head for toffee. Worst timing I've ever seen. 

He looked like a pub level CAM being forced to play up top. I felt sorry for him. So out of his depth it was funny. 

The only thing more funny is pretending Benteke was anything like him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Citing Wesley is a cheap shot. The same voices were condemning Luiz as a failure in March. David Platt was a slow burn.

Just not true. But making stuff up is nice for some. 

Sebastian Haller £45m 32 games 7 goals.

Joelinton  £40m 38 games 2 goals.

Wesley £22m 21 games 5 goals. 

Bargain!!!! If anyone needs sacking it's the Newcastle and west ham recruitment teams.

I have Newcastle and west ham fans in family. They say about Wesley at least he does something.! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm not saying they would so I'm not sure why you are laboring that point. I'm not saying we've had £22m worth from him, afterall it would be pretty impressive if we had in 6 months so I think that's a bit of a daft point.

I don't think Suso lost his job due to Wesley.

My original point was £22m isn't a lot of money for a striker in the PL, I won't change my view on that.

For the  majority of clubs in the prem 22m is big money for a striker. And most clubs would be expecting more than wesley delivered for 22m. He had absolutely  no previous of scoring goals , the fee was massively  ott , so ott that there were suggestions  we had to inflate the fee to get a work permit.

• Like 1

Bargain!!!! If anyone needs sacking it's the Newcastle and west ham recruitment teams.

I have Newcastle and west ham fans in family. They say about Wesley at least he does something.! 

It’s a funny old game football. After the opening few weeks of the season, Haller was being praised loads. Then it all went downhill

Well done ..you found 2 worse deals than wesley.....that obviously  cut no ice with the villa board.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ok if wesley comes back and replicates what benteke did here fine ....he would be well worth 22m .....but considering his best season anywhere was 11 goals ....odds very much against.

It was 13 but he also had 7 assists. 

Â