Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Ralf Rangnick is looking for work after the Milan board did a u-turn on the Head Coach role...

Wouldn't he be hankering after the head coach role though ?

What about Roy Hodgson he might be on sticky ground at palace ?

Just now, Zatman said:

That didn't happen 

Ok ....the general point stands ...when houllier put our younger players in we didn't do terribly well. Houllier didn't join until October....and was taken I'll before the season ends ...he also said during that time he couldn't sort out player fitness until the close season. So I doubt he would be able to overall the youth and u23 set up in that time.

Very difficult to judge, we don’t know who his players were, we are second guessing. But buying 12/13 players in 1 window at an average spend of £10m for the most competitive league in the world at peak transfer market is an unenviable task. He had to have two sets of signings lined up depending on the play off result, and in fairness business was done quickly. The list was probably much longer as 1st choice players got priced out or opted to go elsewhere. It’s a thankless task, and after all, we stayed up.

Football at this level is merciless.

• Like 2

Good decision. Most of Suso's buys were really wayward. Targett has been good but we overpaid. Wesley and no back up was a particularly costly bit of work. 

As with sticking with Smith, yet more evidence that we are being run by ambitious people with good judgement.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

My biggest takeaway from the article is this :

"I discuss the style of play with the coach, and the youth teams will follow that."

For years I've been bleating on about how there's no uniformity in the style of play between first team and the youth teams. Hence when our younger players came in they looked out of place. Only time they looked good was when Houllier came in. Such a shame his tenure was cut short.

Grealish has done ok

I remember hearing a football pundit rubbishing wolves for making a big thing out of all teams playing the same way in solbaken s time. His reasoning was that the game at u23 level is drastically different  he cited watching stoke u23s and the good football  they played whilst the first team played pulis physical game. I really don't think there is much to it .

2 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Good decision. Most of Suso's buys were really wayward. Targett has been good but we overpaid. Wesley and no back up was a particularly costly bit of work. 

As with sticking with Smith, yet more evidence that we are being run by ambitious people with good judgement.

Makes me wonder if DS would have gone should we have been relegated.

Mcginns comments concern me ....its though he has got wind that we aren't buying  proven quality . Hopefully this decision was taken a while back and we have a replacement in mind. My feeling is that the new guy might err towards being a head scout than DOF.

Just now, hippo said:

Makes me wonder if DS would have gone should we have been relegated.

Mcginns comments concern me ....its though he has got wind that we aren't buying  proven quality . Hopefully this decision was taken a while back and we have a replacement in mind. My feeling is that the new guy might err towards being a head scout than DOF.

McGinns comments?

9 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Very difficult to judge, we don’t know who his players were, we are second guessing. But buying 12/13 players in 1 window at an average spend of £10m for the most competitive league in the world at peak transfer market is an unenviable task. He had to have two sets of signings lined up depending on the play off result, and in fairness business was done quickly. The list was probably much longer as 1st choice players got priced out or opted to go elsewhere. It’s a thankless task, and after all, we stayed up.

Football at this level is merciless.

Were it not for the upturn in Luis form I think suso would have had a very high failure rate. 22m for wesley was stupid money for a guy with no big scoring record anywhere.

No surprise at all to see him go, the writing has been on the wall for him for some time. I don't think he did a good job. But.....

It is hard to not think he was enacting the plan handed down to him by Purslow. Now it is right that he is held accountable for his performance against he plan but the plan itself I think was flawed.

It will be interesting to see if Smith is given greater control or if we continue down the same path with a new appointment.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

He's urged the club to buy quality during the window

I’d guess McGinn isn’t the type they’d really share future plans with. He seems like the team jester, but not the sharpest tool (Mark Draper esque)

Just now, TrentVilla said:

No surprise at all to see him go, the writing has been on the wall for him for some time. I don't think he did a good job. But.....

It is hard to not think he was enacting the plan handed down to him by Purslow. Now it is right that he is held accountable for his performance against he plan but the plan itself I think was flawed.

It will be interesting to see if Smith is given greater control or if we continue down the same path with a new appointment.

Yes ...earlier it looked he was staying which surprised me.

I think there will be a replacement  .but only based on what Percy said. I do think there will be a shift in power in favour of Smith though . Personally having someone above DS choosing the players and having an input into style of play seems an uneasy alliance , I think the replacement will be more chief scout , whatever his job title is !!!,,,

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Were it not for the upturn in Luis form I think suso would have had a very high failure rate. 22m for wesley was stupid money for a guy with no big scoring record anywhere.

It really isn't, £22m isn't a lot of money at all these days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’d guess McGinn isn’t the type they’d really share future plans with. He seems like the team jester, but not the sharpest tool (Mark Draper esque)

Maybe there might be nothing in it .....historically when a player suggests a club should take a certain course of action , it because he fears the club are going another route.

Yes ...earlier it looked he was staying which surprised me.

I think there will be a replacement  .but only based on what Percy said. I do think there will be a shift in power in favour of Smith though . Personally having someone above DS choosing the players and having an input into style of play seems an uneasy alliance , I think the replacement will be more chief scout , whatever his job title is !!!,,,

I think Smith needed to be stronger last summer over what he wanted, I think he would probably be the first one to admit that now.

It will be very interesting to see how we shape up but if someone is incoming I'd expect it to happen very quickly as they haven't time to waste and this will have been a planned decision today.

• Like 1

Well if you want to defend him you could say he was given a tough remit to buy a lot of young players with potential only, with a relatively limited salary cap at Villa, and that we have stayed up.  And that some of the buys have come good at the end of the long season like Luiz and Konsa.  However for whatever reason we came up short in the summer window, missing out on the second striker was a serious mistake. And January was not great either- ok Reina did a job and Barry is one for the future but what the hell was Drinwater and Baston all about?

He has become a bit of a fall guy but they have taken the decision quickly. I am sure the nice pay off will cushion the blow. Without sounding like  a smaller englander if we bring in someone else they need to have a bit more familiarity with the Premier League.  I hope we do a better job this transfer window. 

• Like 1

Maybe there might be nothing in it .....historically when a player suggests a club should take a certain course of action , it because he fears the club are going another route.

Think that's a bit of a stretch. I mean what else is McGinn going to say?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It really isn't, £22m isn't a lot of money at all these days.

Well it's our record signing so in that context it is a lot of money. I doubt is current value is anywhere near that should we wish to sell him.

• Like 2

Â