Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

Not gonna lie, pretty damn happy about this. His recruitment as been below average at the very best, at the cost of a lot of money. Was hoping something like this might happen over the break. Wait and see whose bought in to replace him. Still, good news in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villanmac said:

I assumed i'd be beaten to it but couldnt be arsed to cycle back 10 pages to check. 

Same here, someone earlier has probably won the day already with 500 likes. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

No you didn’t and no I’m not. Now please... stop.

Stop? Sometimes you have to explain your thoughts on a messageboard. Rather then pathetic retorts as the one you did a few posts above.

You wrote and I quote:

"You say £22m is big money for the majority of clubs in the Prem? Sorry but you are just wrong, factually wrong."

Since you like to correct Hippo on being factual, then proceed to cherry pick a few expensive signings over the last 5 years or so, how about we look at what happened in 2019/2020. The last season which have seen the great inflation and highest average prices yet. 

By using transfermarkts and ignoring correct conversion of Euro Pound, this is the clubs that spent more than £ 22 million on a striker or any player for that matter during 2019/2020.

Watford: 

1 player

Sheffield United: 

No players

Norwich:

No players

Burnley:

No players

Crystal Palace:

No players

Southampton:

1 player

Brighton:

1 player

Newcastle:

1 player

Bournemouth:

No players

West Ham:

3 players

Wolves:

2 players

Everton:

4 players

Leicester:

2 players

Arsenal: 

3 players

Man Utd:

3 players

Spurs:

3 players

Chelsea:

1 player

Liverpool:

No players

Man City:

2 players

So 6 clubs had not a single signing above £ 22 million. 5 clubs had 1 signing above £ 22 million.

So 55% of the clubs in the Premier League had either only financial means to buy ONE player above £ 22 million,or they didn't have it at all. Well I guess we can say 50% as Liverpool could obviously have done so if they needed to.

Subtract the clubs that have the hand in the honey pot that is European football, or add the clubs that are in financial woes, where £ 22 million signings aren't something they can do at free will - like West Ham.

It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that £ 22 million is a lot of money to the majority of the clubs in the Prem. So Hippo is correct. You are not. 

The train of reasoning cause someone has spent that money before, thus it's not big money to them, that's so flawed it's hard to know where to start. 

Info is taken from Transfermarkt, so if it's proven to be incorrect I might change my view on it. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I was wondering if Samatta was the straw that broke the Camels back. He would have been told to acquire a striker to score the goals to take us to safety. 

He ended up bringing in a one in twenty striker who spent the whole of post lockdown looking like a competition winner. 

OK the fee wasn't big but unearthing discount diamonds was supposed to be his remit. 

On top of some of the summer signings I think Samatta finished him off. 

I genuinely still think some of the current crop could still go on to be successful signings.

Fact is we really don't know what the final straw was as to why the board parted ways with him.

I saw Deano himself say in the post match interview "People will go on about the money we have spent, but we had to, and these lads will get better, they will say 140 million but I think it was an average of 9.5 mill each".

Deano himself did not seem displeased by the transfer activity (As if he would say differently). However I do think if Deano felt he had been shafted he would say something or at least hint at it.

As I've suggested prior, maybe for the "NEXT PHASE" of development the board and Suso just never saw eye to eye.

Maybe a better candidate became available, or there has been a falling out. Who knows?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Quite surprised to hear of his departure, don't think he's done a great job, nor a particularly poor one.

He was sent out to find a large number of players last summer that had to fit within a particular profile and he did that, how much say he had in the overall strategy I don't know. Is he the one that decided how much experience we needed? Is he the one who decides when the fee is too high? Is he the one deciding the attributes required? It's incredibly harsh to blame him for all of the issues with last summers transfers when we don't really know who decides what.

I don't think any of our signings have particularly dropped that much in value, but I don't think many have increased in value much either, that situation is fluid, next summer most of those signings could well of increased in value greatly, and then you'd have to say he did a decent job no? By the same token we could be relegated and all of the values drop considerably.

Or maybe we just have someone better lined up? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Quite surprised to hear of his departure, don't think he's done a great job, nor a particularly poor one.

He was sent out to find a large number of players last summer that had to fit within a particular profile and he did that, how much say he had in the overall strategy I don't know. Is he the one that decided how much experience we needed? Is he the one who decides when the fee is too high? Is he the one deciding the attributes required? It's incredibly harsh to blame him for all of the issues with last summers transfers when we don't really know who decides what.

I don't think any of our signings have particularly dropped that much in value, but I don't think many have increased in value much either, that situation is fluid, next summer most of those signings could well of increased in value greatly, and then you'd have to say he did a decent job no? By the same token we could be relegated and all of the values drop considerably.

I liked this then thought about us entering the season with the wingers and strikers we had available and I am stunned we stayed up. That starting situation is presumably on Suso

Edited by Rolta

8 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Its because, despite what some fans and even Dean Smith may insist, with the amount of money we spent the owners expected more than just barely surviving relegation. Someone had to get the blame for our season. In between Smith, Pitarch and Purslow, they felt Pitarch was the most to blame. So he got the ax.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

9 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You can't just ignore their spend in the previous seasons. That's a ludicrous basis for this argument.

I am not, but whatever way you look at it £ 22 million is a lot of money to the majority of clubs in the prem.  

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I liked this then thought about us entering the season with the wingers and strikers we had available and I am stunned we stayed up. That starting situation is presumably on Suso

Is it? I think Smith made it clear he was one short when the window closed, he wanted someone who could play up top and on the wing, if somebody else decides we've got enough on the wings and won't meet someone's asking price for that last player is that down to Suso? I honestly don't know, it depends on who is making the decisions.

I think his work in January is probably a big factor in him leaving, but we may never know

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its because, despite what some fans and even Dean Smith may insist, with the amount of money we spent the owners expected more than just barely surviving relegation. Someone had to get the blame for our season. In between Smith, Pitarch and Purslow, they felt Pitarch was the most to blame. So he got the ax.

Or maybe it's not about blame but rather a means of improving. We need to improve in many areas to move forward. This is one of them.

I don't think he was tarred and feathered and hounded out. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Or maybe it's not about blame but rather a means of improving. We need to improve in many areas to move forward. This is one of them.

I don't think he was tarred and feathered and hounded out. 

Well that theory hinges on whether we do have someone who'd undoubtedly higher profile than Suso lined up. I don't think they'd risk getting rid of the guy if they thought he did an acceptable job, but there was someone not at least more than marginally better available. If its someone who's of similar profile or lower, then I think its much more likely that they were just unsatisfied with how our money was spent on recruitment this season and pinned the blame of the season on him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Maybe so, I think we'd of had to spend a whole lot more to expect much more than 17th myself, especially considering the turnover of players, it was a unique situation. I don't feel like anyone should take the blame for our season, I don't think there's one sole person responsible, in my mind staying up means if anything the season has been successful. I guess it depends on your expectations. Did the owners expect to be crashing the top 10? I would say that was always very unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Maybe so, I think we'd of had to spend a whole lot more to expect much more than 17th myself, especially considering the turnover of players, it was a unique situation. I don't feel like anyone should take the blame for our season, I don't think there's one sole person responsible, in my mind staying up means if anything the season has been successful. I guess it depends on your expectations. Did the owners expect to be crashing the top 10? I would say that was always very unrealistic.

I don't think top 10 was the expectation. But I do think the owners expected more than being in the relegation zone for a significant part of the season.

It sounds ridiculous but last summer, listening to the TIFO podcasts about what signings Premier League teams needed, I was hoping Suso had half the knowledge some of the people had on that show. It wasn't just chucking well known players forward as suggestions. At times, some suggestions were from teams I'd never even heard of and I don't live completely under a rock. I'm not saying Suso was bad, just that like there's plenty of secret gems/talent out there, there is also the potential of secret gems/talent out there who can identify those players. Here's hoping we can find our own. 

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

It sounds ridiculous but last summer, listening to the TIFO podcasts about what signings Premier League teams needed, I was hoping Suso had half the knowledge some of the people had on that show. It wasn't just chucking well known players forward as suggestions. At times, some suggestions were from teams I'd never even heard of and I don't live completely under a rock. I'm not saying Suso was bad, just that like there's plenty of secret gems/talent out there, there is also the potential of secret gems/talent out there who can identify those players. Here's hoping we can find our own. 

I'm sure Suso has a 100 times more knowledge than these people combined. It's not fair to judge him against suggestions of players whose impact at Aston Villa is just theoretical. Moreover, we don't know the ins and outs of deals - whether said players would ever want to play for Villa, how much they'd cost, what options and clauses would their agents demand for their contracts, etc. 

It sure seems the board thought he wasn't doing a good job, but let's not get carried away with such nonsense. 

Â