Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats just the forwards though. Has been many other players bought for more. I doubt Wesley is in the top 50 Premier League signings by cost

As i posted earlier only 4 teams have a lower record transfer 

Ah, but it's not. He has listed wingers. 

But my point stands. 

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Newcastle paid something like £40m for Joelinton. We perhaps overpaid slightly for Wesley but tbh, £20m is nothing for a striker these days.

According to transfermarkt, they’re both worth 20 million euro at the minute. That’s with Wes being injured for the last 7 months and a likely drop due to the pandemic as well. Before his injury he was valued at 30 million euro. Up until his injury Wesley was fulfilling the plan set out by the club of adding value to transfers. 

• Like 1

This has become a second Wesley thread.

For our director of football I find the timing of this decision a little odd. I would have thought we were planning our recruitment strategy months ago, regardless of which league we were in. If we didn’t trust Suso to be a part of that process then should he not have been released months ago and a replacement brought in to help develop the summer strategy?

Presumably the only reason it didn’t happen that way was because we had a specific target already lined up to replace him but that target was conditional on us retaining Premier League status? Had we gone down presumably we would have stayed with Suso? If a new name is announced in short order that will say a lot. 

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

Good news for the club. We bought a lot of junk in the Summer, needless risks which will be a headache to move on.

The problem with Wesley was not just the price, it because he’s been really poor. If he’d scored goals nobody would question the price. Then you look at his record, it wasn’t great in a division far weaker than the PL... why was he being tipped up as our main source of goals?

Everybody buys the odd dud, the problem was we went after too many players that on the face of it were unlikely to hit the ground running due to where they were playing. 

We bought strikers who weren't even prolific in the Belgian league.

Mind boggling stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If we didn’t trust Suso to be a part of that process then should he not have been released months ago and a replacement brought in to help develop the summer strategy?

I expect to avoid the distraction to Premier League survival.

Its only the head that has gone, I’m sure we’re still scouting players, drawing up lists, making enquiries etc.

1 hour ago, villa_shere said:

This is another tough call. It may be better to learn from our mistakes than to change management again. 

it might be that Suso was asked to shop in lidl rather than Waitrose. This summer we will need 4/5 players rather than 10 so hopefully we can get a better quality of player. 

one thing which does need to change is we should be open to taking on a loan or buying a senior player with experience to bolster the team 

My thoughts too, if he was given specific parameters for a player then it isnt like he could pick any player anywhere.

He may have been told the player MUST be based in Europe and cant cost more than X and must be under 25 and have a resale value.

That limits quite a lot, especially if each position had a maximum price and there was no wriggle room to go over.

1 forward in and relying on kodja and Davies was ridiculous but if the money was not there ( and purslows promise of no more loans he made at the time) then the club as a whole put their foot in it. I have little doubt maupay was on smiths shopping list and have no doubt he was told there is no money for him as the forward money had been spent.

It was a calculated gamble to not go bust trying to stay in the Premier league. It worked out, just, however injuries to Heaton, steer, mings. Mcginn, wes and a few others made it more difficult.

While we shopped in Belgium last year, I am hoping we go up a level this year.

We need 4 or 5 starters and 2 or 3 decent young players to be back ul with 5 subs allowed each game.

I cant see us shipping out many due to this.

25 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

This has become a second Wesley thread.

For our director of football I find the timing of this decision a little odd. I would have thought we were planning our recruitment strategy months ago, regardless of which league we were in. If we didn’t trust Suso to be a part of that process then should he not have been released months ago and a replacement brought in to help develop the summer strategy?

Presumably the only reason it didn’t happen that way was because we had a specific target already lined up to replace him but that target was conditional on us retaining Premier League status? Had we gone down presumably we would have stayed with Suso? If a new name is announced in short order that will say a lot. 

This is the part I was about to say. 

Edited by alreadyexists

We signed too many players that were unlikely to hit the ground running. We appear to have been too obsessive about buying potential and long term value than buying a good football team. Additionally we didn’t use the loan system property. I can understand that this was done with recent past history very much on our minds, but we should learn from past mistakes and take a balanced view, not be cowed by them  

None of us know if it was these policies set by Purslow and the board that made Suso’s job very difficult, or he was totally on board and told them he could achieve what they wanted under these circumstances and had his little black book at the ready. If he argued that he was generally supportive of the policies but we need to make a few exceptions and sign x and y plus lone z but was told no, then he hasn’t taken the can for other people’s errors. We’ll never know, but the power men rarely take the blame. 

I think in general there is a feeling that Suso joined because he was available and waved his little black book. We either had no idea who else to get, or we couldn’t get who we really wanted at the time. Hopefully the speed we have acted indicates that we now have a good plan and his replacement is pretty much onboard already. If not then questions possibly need to be asked what Purslow has been doing?

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

The right decision had been made although Suso played his part in bringing some decent players into the club there were also too many who haven’t looked worth the cash - I wish him well 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The fact that they have spent it doesn't mean it's not big money. It's factually more than the average player cost in the league, which you can argue means it's big money. So factually I'd say he's correct and you're not. 

Then you are wrong as well, as normal.

I think you need to re-read the post I responded to and the actual point of discussion. The average player cost in the league has absolutely no relevance.

• Like 1

Suso had more transfer failures than pluses, especially leaving the club short and reliant on Wesley in the summer window. 

His comments about scrapping relegation were bad for the club and created a PR nightmare. 

The likes of Drinkwater and Borja were not players Dean wanted. 

It’s good to get rid now. I’m sure we have someone else already lined up. 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Then you are wrong as well, as normal.

I think you need to re-read the post I responded to and the actual point of discussion. The average player cost in the league has absolutely no relevance.

Not sure how I can compete with such well thought out relevant retorts. 

But to humour you I did. And it is a big money signing however you choose to look at it. It's more money spent by some distance, than the average player goes for. You seemed to argue cause it's been paid often before, that would be incorrect. Which is just a flawed way of thinking. £ 22 million IS a lot of money for the average PL club to shell out. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â