Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

Stripping him off footballing decisions is the best thing the club has done for a long time.

We will only improve from here and it gives me much more confidence in our project.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

By crap appointments you presumably mean Gerrard, so one mistake. 

Pretty monumental giving a guy head coach job who wasn't even remotely qualified when your bosses are pumping in hundreds of millions just because you have a man crush on him.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yes, but as things got better I cheered up. What’s your excuse?! 

The owners are restructuring the business, something they have vast experience of doing. Even if we end up with a structure that no other club has, it wouldn’t worry me a bit. 

It seems that they don’t tolerate failure from their employees when it comes to strategic decision making. It’s brutal, but also why they are serial winners. Just enjoy the ride, we are in very very good hands. 

I’ve been loving the results and the change of play since Emery came on board.
But… I still get the impression that we are 2 steps forward 1 step back at the moment. We have a lot of good news… but we also receive a lot of bad news. It can’t all just be rosey, just for one season, at least, that’s all I want. 

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Yes I got the impression that he had his role reduced since emery came in and the Heck appointment added to that. It was also quite telling that Purslow wasn't involved in the pitch walk with NSWE and Emery after the Brighton game. 

I think, in the main, he has done a decent job and provided a safe pair of hands when we really needed it. I'd like to see a more progressive CEO who will embrace a more modern approach coming in to replace him now though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

I’ve been loving the results and the change of play since Emery came on board.
But… I still get the impression that we are 2 steps forward 1 step back at the moment. We have a lot of good news… but we also receive a lot of bad news. It can’t all just be rosey, just for one season, at least, that’s all I want. 

You are assuming Purslow going is a step back. I’m assuming the owners made this decision for a good reason - one that will benefit the club. 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Pretty monumental giving a guy head coach job who wasn't even remotely qualified when your bosses are pumping in hundreds of millions just because you have a man crush on him.

Ok I’ll try another way. 

When he took over he spoke of a 5yr plan to get the club competitive again, and whilst there was one bump in the road (Gerrard) he achieved exactly what he said he would. 

Dress it up however you want, but that’s success is my book. 

36 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Gerrard appointment aside, he has been extremely good in his role over these past 5 years. 

Took some doing after years and years of clown shows prior to Purslow but we’re no longer run like an absolute joke so deserves huge praise. 

100% this. I guess we will see Chris Heck running non football matters and new SD all footballing matters

25 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

His most important legacy was hiring Unai. Forget what came before. Sometimes the circumstances meant we had to wait. 

Did he? It was the owners who had gotten pretty sick of poor managerial appointments! Once that happened it was only a matter of time before Purslow was gone.

Emery arrived wanting complete control over footballing matters and now he’s got it!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

Did he? It was the owners who had gotten pretty sick of poor managerial appointments! Once that happened it was only a matter of time before Purslow was gone.

Emery arrived wanting complete control over footballing matters and now he’s got it!

He hired Smith and Gerrard.  So.... one good, and one bad?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so can people stop the narrative that he's been got rid of now?

Well, him being offered another role in the club because he's not needed in his current role is kinda being gotten rid of, no?

• Like 1

Purslow has done a solid job. The Gerrard appointment showed he should be kept away from footballing decisions however. For me Purslow is a savvy operator, very slick (almost slimey), and very astute, on the business and strategy side.

However it's clear we are pursuing a different model. Heck will run the commercial side. A sporting director to run the football business side. Then a director of football to oversee the scouting and player recruitment. 

This is a good model as the demands placed on the leadership structure increase as we increase in stature and reach.

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

His expertise on FFP saved us also. Made us a far more viable club. I respect him for wanting to step away if the other role wasn’t to his taste. Best of luck, Christian. 

Hopefully we don't miss this 

Â