Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Just now, Pinebro said:

Way too hands on for a CEO and Nassef seemingly got tired of his crap appointments.

Purslow was way too involved on the footballing side of things. I always found it a little bit odd.

Well after going from the championship into Europe in 5yrs, maybe we should be grateful he was hands on, because he was obviously doing something right. 

Did a very good job on the whole, his business and political acumen is his strong point and it sounds like Heck will take on a lot of the commercial side of things, but he was as strong as any this area, and will need someone similar to do this work, which is not a sporting director duty imo.

His football knowledge was never a strong point and his appointment of Gerrard only amplified that, a new sporting director will help us get more competitive on the pitch.

Was only thinking yesterday he hadn’t done his usual end of season appraisal in front the camera. 

He has done a magnificent job if you compare where we were when he arrived to where he leaves us. I get we are restructuring. It sounds like we wanted him to stick around in a different capacity. The change makes me nervous as he is a safe pair of hands. Heck, Monchi and Emery is a new dynamic so hopefully can kick us on. 

I’d be a lot more confident with CP still around the club. He has done nothing but good for us. I don’t buy into he was the sole reason behind Gerrard. 

Thanks for everything Purslow! 🙏

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Very similar to how Fergie and David Gill operated. Every single thing football-wise was Fergie's domain, whilst Gill's role was to deal with commercial etc.

Fair comment mate. As I said though Emery seems like a complete flipping workaholic anyway, I hope the extra responsibility isn’t detrimental. 

9 minutes ago, RicRic said:

There is no way Monchi is capable of replacing Purslow for a role of this magnitude, Purslow understands the English game and all the ingredients to sustain at the highest level bar the Gerrard appointment

Monchi would only be involved in the recruitment side.

He's been alright.

Emery finishing 7th has put a shine on his reign he doesn't really deserve.

The Gerrard debacle, not even in hindsight...at the time a debacle and having to have his boss step in was a huge embarrassment and weak.

He's done okay. We've made great strides off the pitch but also had a lot of cash and backing to implement and it's driven by the owners.

He's been okay. What I'd expect with the ambitions put forward. Yes he's not a fat rocket polisher like Keith, brilliant.

He's also a smug Representative for Wellingborough though tbf

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

There seems to be an awful lot of extra work placed on Emery with this. 

“Villa are moving in a new direction with head coach Unai Emery and his team of close assistants taking charge of football matters alongside the owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens (NSWE)”

He’s earned the right to have a much bigger say, but he’s a workaholic anyway. And football is a fragile sport, what about when/if Emery leaves? It leaves a whole vacuum. It’s risky imo. 

And this Heck bloke might be a genius in Marketing, but I’m sure I’ve read him saying that he knows next to nothing about football. Who is doing the day to day stuff? Purslow had a lot of respect and pull in the PL. 

I don’t like it.

I agree it's a risk giving such a central role to Emery. But look at City they're in the same boat.

Seems Nassef will have Monchi, Emery and Heck to cover 95% of the responsibility at VP

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Way too hands on for a CEO and Nassef seemingly got tired of his crap appointments.

By crap appointments you presumably mean Gerrard, so one mistake. 

At the end of the day, whatever Purslow has or hasn't done, all I know is the 2 people who own this club have probably made decisions like this multiple times in their business interests and considering how successful they both have been, you have to trust them. 

We are thankfully far from the days when we ended up with Wyness, so I fully expect a top replacement, someone Emery will work well with or trust implicitly, who can help us kick on again. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

And maybe they wouldn't have won the CL if it wasn't for the groundwork he had put in previously.

No they had to rip everything down everything.

Big money signings like Any Carroll and Downing. Appointing Roy Hodgson.

Purslow was a shambles at Liverpool and their fans still hate him.

• Like 1

I’m sure Purslow in the 5 years of being here would have introduced Nas and Wes to most of his contacts. They definitely would’ve learned from him in regards to FFP and just how English football clubs work. 

Edited by Rustibrooks

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

There seems to be an awful lot of extra work placed on Emery with this. 

“Villa are moving in a new direction with head coach Unai Emery and his team of close assistants taking charge of football matters alongside the owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens (NSWE)”

He’s earned the right to have a much bigger say, but he’s a workaholic anyway. And football is a fragile sport, what about when/if Emery leaves? It leaves a whole vacuum. It’s risky imo. 

And this Heck bloke might be a genius in Marketing, but I’m sure I’ve read him saying that he knows next to nothing about football. Who is doing the day to day stuff? Purslow had a lot of respect and pull in the PL. 

I don’t like it.

hope he's asked for an acting up allowance to cover these new duties!

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Fair comment mate. As I said though Emery seems like a complete flipping workaholic anyway, I hope the extra responsibility isn’t detrimental. 

Judging from McGinn's comments about emery already studying the Brighton game I think he thrives on responsibility.

With Monchi likely to come in and his team around him, I think the Don will cope just fine.

Â