Christian Purslow

villan-scott

22 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it's all this pressure on top of his Dad passing away.  Looks completely gutted.

He probably didn't look like that all match either, someone has just picked the worst shot of him they could find.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly don't even care anymore, he has to go too. He's not one of a kind. There are plenty of CEO's out there who could do the job that he does with about half the ego.

Think alot of his 'footballing decisions power' needs to be removed. I'm happy to keep him on for everything else and generally feel the club is well run except for on the pitch. but we truely need a football 'mastermind' at the top. 

The way he beelined to Gerrard after Dean was sacked was emberassing. You can tell Gerrard hasn't been sacked yet because Purslow will have to acknowledge he blew it. 

I don’t think he needs to be sacked, I certainly don’t trust him all that much at the moment but as others have suggested, restrict his role in terms of the football side of things and he should focus on the corporate and commercial side 100% instead. If he fronts up and sacks Gerrard and gets the next appointment right that will go some way in restoring trust and making up for this current situation. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I don’t think he needs to be sacked, I certainly don’t trust him all that much at the moment but as others have suggested, restrict his role in terms of the football side of things and he should focus on the corporate and commercial side 100% instead. If he fronts up and sacks Gerrard and gets the next appointment right that will go some way in restoring trust and making up for this current situation. 

agree

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly don't even care anymore, he has to go too. He's not one of a kind. There are plenty of CEO's out there who could do the job that he does with about half the ego.

Think the ego is pretty much standard for guys who're in those positions. That's how they get themselves in the door in the first place. For the most part it's probably no bad thing.

Just now, El-Reacho said:

Think the ego is pretty much standard for guys who're in those positions. That's how they get themselves in the door in the first place. For the most part it's probably no bad thing.

I think the ego thing is a two way street

Villa fans want us to have our standing in the game as a big historical club of some significance that in reality in the PL in 2022 we don't really deserve or I t means very little but purslow buys in to that too and bangs that drum for us, he comes across as someone who will be very vocal on behalf of Aston villa at the PL meetings

But at the same time some don't like his demeanour at other times and will label him as arrogant or stubborn

I still think he does a good job for us, at worst he's not a football man and should stay out of the football side of things but same as a lot of the inner workings of the club we don't actually know what he's done with Gerrard or Ings or anything else, it's a lot of guesswork

59 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I agree. He had some credit in the bank for what he'd done prior to Gerrard but the last year has erased quite a lot of it. His reputation among the fanbase has certainly suffered but it's not something that can't be fixed again. 

He obviously has his strengths but I would like this Gerrard saga to signal the end of his over-involvement in the football side of things and allow a normal structure to take it's place, otherwise I'm not even sure what the point of Lange is. Stuff like apparently signing Joe Cole for Liverpool all the way to the current situation just rings alarm bells. The Ings signing as well just smacks of him in damage control mode re: Grealish. We're not going to have this fabled continuous improvement if a guy from board level thinks he can pull the strings of on-pitch matters whilst competing clubs have dedicated directors etc in charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

If he sacks Gerrard, then he needs to do what Levy did with Conte. 

Levy moved heaven and earth to get Conte. This included paying him a fortune, and allowing him to bring in exactly who he wanted for his backroom team and also paying them a fortune. I remember reading an article on it and it cost Spurs a pretty penny to bring everyone over from Italy. On top of that, they gave him a fair old wedge to spend to bring in the players he wanted - see Perisic as an example. 

If we're to be serious about progressing, we need to start spending more on the management side of things. I don't know if that means they need to get rid of Lange too, possibly, but the time for half measures and gambles is over. We have spent a lot of money on our playing staff, we're talking about a new 55-60k stadium with huge improvements to local infrastruture, this is all meaningless if you can't get the team playing well. 

We're owned by Billionaires who want to succeed. In order to do so, we need a better manager and to generally be more ambitious in this department. 

The difference being spurs were an attractive proposition to go along with that wad of money, we most certainly are not an attractive proposition unfortunately.

Where has this myth of over-involvement in the football side of things come from? Is it really that alien in top level football for a CEO to choose the manager? You’d think Purslow was picking the team the way some are making out. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

The difference being spurs were an attractive proposition to go along with that wad of money, we most certainly are not an attractive proposition unfortunately.

Not sure I fully agree and money talks. There is a helluva lot of ambition at this club and they seem to have deep pockets. If Poch wants to manage in England again and a job doesn't come up at Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea or Man City, which is looking unlikely, then Villa and Newcastle are the next best bet. 
Agree that Spurs are a more attractive proposition though!

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If he sacks Gerrard, then he needs to do what Levy did with Conte. 

Levy moved heaven and earth to get Conte. This included paying him a fortune, and allowing him to bring in exactly who he wanted for his backroom team and also paying them a fortune. I remember reading an article on it and it cost Spurs a pretty penny to bring everyone over from Italy. On top of that, they gave him a fair old wedge to spend to bring in the players he wanted - see Perisic as an example. 

If we're to be serious about progressing, we need to start spending more on the management side of things. I don't know if that means they need to get rid of Lange too, possibly, but the time for half measures and gambles is over. We have spent a lot of money on our playing staff, we're talking about a new 55-60k stadium with huge improvements to local infrastruture, this is all meaningless if you can't get the team playing well. 

We're owned by Billionaires who want to succeed. In order to do so, we need a better manager and to generally be more ambitious in this department. 

This. The manager's salary is insignificant compared to player's salaries.

59 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Where has this myth of over-involvement in the football side of things come from? Is it really that alien in top level football for a CEO to choose the manager? You’d think Purslow was picking the team the way some are making out. 

As fans we're not privy to definitive facts on decisions that are made at board room level, all we have is our best guess with the evidence at hand.

We have a sporting director, his job is to run the footballing side of the operation, part of his job would be to source a list of replacements for an outgoing coach/manager and present them to the board along with his recommendation, the board can then make an informed decision on who's best to appoint.

Many feel, myself included, that this was not the process when appointing Gerrard due to Purslow's obvious affiliation with him. Johan Lange is an analytics focused sporting director, what are the odds that on his list of potential new coaches is an inexperienced but big name manager that just so happens to be affiliated with Mr Purslow? I think it's entirely plausible that Purslow put forward Gerrard as a candidate and then sold that appointment to the board. Now, as CEO Purslow is entitled to do that, he is above Lange in the clubs hierarchy, but should he? There's little point in employing a sporting director if you are just going to ignore all of his analytics and advice. I think most would prefer the footballing expert be the one putting the names forward and not the business man.

So, in short many blame him for the Gerrard appointment.

On top of this, some believe (not myself), that Purslow was the driving force behind the signing of Danny Ings as some way of placating fans after the sale of Grealish. It was a seemingly odd signing.

And then finally there's plenty of old rumours flying around about Mr Purslow's time at Liverpool, where he supposedly interfered with footballing matters up to and including appointing Roy Hodgson and signing Joe Cole.

How much of any of this you believe is entirely up to you.

In the Good Old Days™, it was not uncommon for CEO's and chairmen to be picking and appointing the manager, and in many ways they still have final say, it's just nowadays they have an in house expert to draw them up a list to choose from, less chance of them getting it horribly wrong that way... 

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't make much sense sacking Gerrard unless we have a replacement with a pen in his hand and a contract under his nose.

The silence is probably more telling at the moment.  We know Edens is a cut throat guy for the NBA Bucks team.  If we WERE backing him, I'd expect us to come out and give the old "we're backing the manager" spiel, but we haven't despite the increasing clamor for action. 

Let's let things ride out.  Fulham doesn't matter now, it's too soon for anyone to come in and do anything.  I also wouldn't expect a win to change things very much either. 

• Like 1

Â