Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Whenever I see his run I smile. The way he took it is what a winger should do. Some of these could go either way, but trying to do that would get you goal potentially. 

The way he runs while keeping the ball is a good weapon to play at. His control isn't as good as Jota or even Trez but he's more likely to score than them. I think everyone of them offer something different. Which is really difference than last season, where we use to try and put the less worse from Adomah or Green.

Although if we had Benrahma we'd be much better than what we are. But we still can go to him in the winter, Brentford started losing points.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thunderball said:

I was worried that AEG wouldn't step up but that's clearly premature. In fairness this depth of squad is bringing out the best in players (look at Taylor), but being benched clearly stung: he was determined to may his mark, put in a shot very early in his appearance and then thundered into the box stealing the ball heading for Grealish with a nice touch past the defender and fired home. 

The whole team loves him too, they all mobbed him (I know it sealed the win), but there is a great spirit, it looks like they all want each other to do well. I really hope he kicks on and proves to himself he is capable at this level.

Even Lansbury's reaction on the bench, he was genuinely happy for the team.

Was it just me, or was ole mate not really in a good mood today. Just noticed a glum look on his face and a couple of moments he didn't play the team man. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Was it just me, or was ole mate not really in a good mood today. Just noticed a glum look on his face and a couple of moments he didn't play the team man. 

Is this news? He always has a look of angst on his face on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah but watch Konsa scores his goal AEG is right next to him and then just runs straight back the other half not so much as a wink of congratulations...

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I am more annoyed by that stupid push he did on Ng the last dying minute of the match. Just how stupid can you get. I think he's an alright footballer, but his attitude is below par at times. 

I thought he was well below par tbh. Even with hitting the post and getting his assist.

Also didn't think he was great shakes against Everton. Aside from goal he was offside about three times and didn't offer enough.

He's got literally everything you need to be a serious player. Just decision making holding him back. If it clicks he'll be MOTM most weeks playing in this side.

Tempted to say I'd start him at Palace, may bring more protection than Jota. All the wingers will want to play whatever side Fred G is on.

At 6'2 he should be causing havoc on the wing, He has pace when he uses it and he is direct.

He is a player, who needs to get in to the game more and not be so apologetic in his play, more assertive.

I think he can be a good player for us ,if he can find his groove.

There are parts of his game I like and see as a threat......and other parts that are passive and sulky.

He needs to believe in himself more and wallow in the physicality, not shun it.

I see him as more of an impact player right now, more than a starter, but hope he adds consistency & grit to his game

Edited by TRO

He has the potential to be an extremely good player. He just needs to believe in himself more. He isn't the same style of play as jack and Jota. He needs to keep playing his game which should be very direct. 

He hasn't set the PL on fire yet, but he got dropped for the Everton game, comes on as a sub and secures the 3 points with a goal. That's the attitude you want from a player. 

I love him. Too early to judge yet but I think he is a better player with better potential than Trez. 

• Like 1

For me there are a few things with El Ghazi

1) he has a lot of very positive attributes, that on paper imply he can be a good premiership level player, but he also has some weaknesses, and the strengths arent always showing.

2) He is fast and direct, but at times i think im watching Forest Gump, sometimes i feel he just runs and he becomes tunnel visioned, losing the vision of whats around him, leading him to run in to cul-de-sacs or dead ends when a pass or cross etc was on, i think for me this is my biggest issue with him, its like he is capable of playing with his head up and identifying good passes, but too often its like he's got horse blinkers on and he just goes "run forest run", for me he needs to develop "keeping his head up and looking around him", if thats even a thing.

3) for a tall guy, who is built quite stockily, he's quite weak and one of the worst header of a ball i can think of for a long time, with his physique he should be much more potent in the air, someone might sight the Wembley goal, but in reality that came off his back/shoulder because he threw himself at it like he was a 12 year old belly flopping in to the pool, then look at how terrible this header was below versus Crewe, a good/powerful player might have scored that, but it just literally bounced off him because he half turned his back, he almost fully jumped 180 degrees and it nearly came off the back of his head, like something kids do when they realise the ball is going to hit them, weird.

4) cant decide if he is a confidence player, or just lazy sometimes?, when he is in the mood he loks good, when he isnt he doesnt, cant decide how much of that is him personally, or just that he is a little inconsistent?

Before the El Ghazi defenders go mad, im not saying i dont like him, i do, he has a lot of very positive attributes and when he is in the mood he looks a classy player, but what i am saying is that he really needs to develop his strengths, and badly needs to minimize his weaknesses, if he can do that, he will be a good squad player for sure.

• Like 1

I will agree if he got a bit nastier and physical he could see himself that there's another level there. He gets outmuscled sometimes by guys half his size and speed.

When he's not playing well, you can see when he's going to lose the ball 5 seconds before he goes.

He's certainly not been bad this season, but he really could be a decent Champions League footballer if he can figure his own game out.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Assume you didn't watch the match then.

You said at times - I don't recall him ever having an attitude problem? What did he do yesterday apart from the push? I've seen Conor, McGinn, Grealish etc all do the same in matches and never been labelled with having an attitude problem. Or is this a thing exclusive to foreign wingers and strikers?

Â