Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Took him a while to get used to the Championship, I suspect it will be the same in the PL (goes for a lot of our players really). He has the raw attributes and the skill. He also has the desire and the mental toughness to improve. Not worried about Anwar at all. I'm sure Dean will stick with him too.

I think eventually we'll end up playing with a midfield made up of three out of McGInn, Hourihane, Nakamba, and Luiz, with Grealish moving out wide, leaving El Ghazi and Trezeguet to fight for the other wing position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I think eventually we'll end up playing with a midfield made up of three out of McGInn, Hourihane, Nakamba, and Luiz, with Grealish moving out wide, leaving El Ghazi and Trezeguet to fight for the other wing position.

Agreed

1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Not good enough for this level and mentally slow, offside all the time and over hit passes or crosses, a Dutch Shaun wright Phillips 

As I said in the match thread just before he got the hook he was pissing me right off. Bad decisions, offsides, ineffective when trying to pass people, useless crossing. For the second game running he was crap. But then again, I didn't think much of him at Championship level either.

Right now he's got an awful lot to do to even justify his purchase, let alone a starting spot. His place goes to Hassan next week and I'd even consider sticking in Guilbert on the right wing with Elmo at FB because Jota hasn't been getting anything to stick.

Didn't play well, for me he has a lot of adapting to do and given he was inconsistent at Championship level it's clear he will be at this level too.

At this stage ideally he'd be a squad player coming off the bench with 20 odd mins to go, I don't think he's ready to be a regular starter but obviously we have slim choices.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Did absolutely nothing today. I had my doubts about him in the Championship and he looks totally out of place in the Premier League so far. 

One thing stuck out for me in the game today in the second half.. He was in a good position to take on the FB, lost the ball and couldn't catch the FB. He just gave up beyond the half way line and left the FB to run at Taylor. Piss poor today. I thought he looked overweight but not even sure that's the problem. I think it's belief in himself that's the issue. Everything has been half hearted the last couple of weeks, slow, ponderous and without real conviction. I would drop him v Everton and put Trez there with Davies on the right. Or even put Targett in there as his delivery is very good, plus he could offer better protection to Taylor. 

Not ideal but out wide is where we are really struggling in my opinion. Trez actually looks to be settling into the PL far quicker than Anwar but if things don't pick up I would definitely consider the possibility at some point of playing Guilbert right side in front of Elmo and Targett in front of Taylor. It's drastic I know but we will have to utilise the squad and it may offer us the resolve out wide we don't currently have. I would actually like to see Guilbert in that right wide role and see how he gets on. I think he would be decent playing there tbh.

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

One thing stuck out for me in the game today in the second half.. He was in a good position to take on the FB, lost the ball and couldn't catch the FB. He just gave up beyond the half way line and left the FB to run at Taylor. Piss poor today. I thought he looked overweight but not even sure that's the problem. I think it's belief in himself that's the issue. Everything has been half hearted the last couple of weeks, slow, ponderous and without real conviction. I would drop him v Everton and put Trez there with Davies on the right. Or even put Targett in there as his delivery is very good, plus he could offer better protection to Taylor. 

Not ideal but out wide is where we are really struggling in my opinion. Trez actually looks to be settling into the PL far quicker than Anwar but if things don't pick up I would definitely consider the possibility at some point of playing Guilbert right side in front of Elmo and Targett in front of Taylor. It's drastic I know but we will have to utilise the squad and it may offer us the resolve out wide we don't currently have. I would actually like to see Guilbert in that right wide role and see how he gets on. I think he would be decent playing there tbh.

I thought the same. Didn't even think he was injured, bloke was blowing out of his arse and really lazy with the offsides. When he lost the ball just before he was subbed and was getting back it looked like he was running through treacle.

4 hours ago, useless said:

Why? Grealish is a rubbish winger 

• Like 2

He’s been crap the last two games. He had crap moments in the championship too. I’d drop him next week and see if that gives him a kick up the arse like it did before(I think). The potential is there though, he’s just very hot and cold. 

4 hours ago, useless said:

I’d actually say let’s just turn it to a diamond, with Trez and Wesley upfront. I think that would help against Everton. Because our main force should be midfield.

...........Grealish...............

McGinn.............Luiz.......

............Nakamba............

• Thanks 1

El Ghazi is the only player I have grave concerns over.

Luiz, Wesley, Trez, Engels, Taylor and even Jota look like they will adapt in time......

... but I see no end product from El Ghazi's play, nor any "intelligence" in his decision making.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I'd start Jota.

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

El Ghazi is the only player I have grave concerns over.

Luiz, Wesley, Trez, Engels, Taylor and even Jota look like they will adapt in time......

... but I see no end product from El Ghazi's play, nor any "intelligence" in his decision making.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I'd start Jota.

I recall a bit of “ end product” in the game before last...🙂

Â