Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

El ghazi had some great moves but did look average for a while. Our team was likely anticipating a softer and less biased whistle. You could see that from el ghazi, mcginn and wesley. For me it was a free lick when el ghazi would have been clean through. He got knocked over from behind and when you are at full speed a little knock can send you over.

Personally i would like to see him play with targett against worse teams before judging him. He skinned walker-Peters a couple times but lost the ball when sissoko or alderweirald stepped in. He definitely needs more support especially from the centre as he needs an option to lay it off to or at least draw defenders away from him when he cuts inside. 

90 minutes of football is quite a short period to judge someone and write them out/in of the script. The whole midfield and forward line were ultimately pushed onto the backfoot, outmuscled and beaten for fitness. Lessons to learn for everyone, and ones that I am sure will be addressed. I don't see how you can pick out individuals from that performance. Probably worth returning to the inquest in about 10 matches when we see how individuals have responded to the challenge..

• Like 3

Goes down way too easily and seems to have the pain threshold of  a three year old. If he's going to be a player he needs to toughen up and embrace the physical side of the game. If full backs know that they can rough him up he'll be totally ineffective in this league. 

He wasn't the only one struggling to stay on his feet.

We have a lot of players that haven't played in the PL before so he won't be the last, either.

I suspect Anwar - like the rest of our new players - will be fine. They just need some time to adjust.

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The story of the boy who cried wolf springs to mind. 

But you also talk a lot of rubbish. He had KWP on toast a few times, tracked back and won the ball a lot with Taylor down the left - so much so we nullified their attack down our left. 

Inconsistent player. I'm amazed that people are still surprised by this.

El Ghazi is a confidence player and i'm sure he will have a great spell when we are doing well, but will also have a fair amount of off days.

Edited by villalad21

39 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

And effectively, you're saying the ref was spot on most of the game? 

No what I'm saying is that El Ghazi falls over at the slightest touch and then rolls around like he's been shot. So even if he is getting legitimately fouled ref's are just going to assume he's diving again. If he toughened up a bit and did less diving he'd actually win more free kicks IMO. That's why I referenced the boy who cried wolf.

Edited by villa89

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

No what I'm saying is that El Ghazi falls over at the slightest touch and then rolls around like he's been shot. So even if he is getting legitimately fouled ref's are just going to assume he's diving again. If he toughened up a bit and did less diving he'd actually win more free kicks IMO. That's why I referenced the boy who cried wolf.

You have to remember, he has extremely quick feet and is probably the fastest with the ball at feet. He could probably do better - but at the weekend he may have gone down a bit easy so we can could Conor whip in a decent free kick for us to attack. 

On the weekend though, he was legitimately fouled about 4 times. 

A decent game against Bournemouth and suddenly some will remember that they do, after all, think he’s alright, I’m sure.

We really aren't going to get 6/10 or above from him every week.

Never got it from Tony Morley. Never got it from Ashley Young.

He will have a few 2 or 3/10’s, quite a number of 4 and 5’s, then Win us half a dozen Points with some 7,8,9,:s 

( All figures are approximations 🙂)

4 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

You have to remember, he has extremely quick feet and is probably the fastest with the ball at feet. He could probably do better - but at the weekend he may have gone down a bit easy so we can could Conor whip in a decent free kick for us to attack. 

On the weekend though, he was legitimately fouled about 4 times. 

Can you be legitimately fouled ?

( pedant with little to do today )

1 hour ago, Jay.P.A said:

And effectively, you're saying the ref was spot on most of the game? 

Personally don’t think the ref was bad. May have got the odd decision incorrect but who doesn’t. Certainly didn’t come away from the game thinking the ref had changed the outcome of the game 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He was pretty average against very good opposition.  Either way all players are allowed poor matches from time to time. Just have some faith in him. 

I love him. I'm definitely not having a pop at him. I expect more, I know he has more and I am sure we will get more. 

I thought it was noticeable that so many of our players went down so easily. Among other things they do need to toughen up. Also don't sit on your arse and raise your hands to the heavens if you go down. Get up and get back in the game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Personally don’t think the ref was bad. May have got the odd decision incorrect but who doesn’t. Certainly didn’t come away from the game thinking the ref had changed the outcome of the game 

Think you're in the minority there mate. He was shocking towards Villa. 

Â