Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

He was pretty average for most of last season to be honest. I remember him having good games against Bristol City, West Brom and in the playoff final against Derby (where he was superb). Apart from that, he didn't ever stand out.
I get players are inconsistent but I've seen very little to suggest he'll ever be good enough to be a starter week in, week out in this division.

You compare him to the likes of Mings, Grealish and Mcginn who are clearly cut out for this level, there is no comparison. 
I'd go as far as to say he's our most overrated player by fans on Villatalk.

Expect to get pelters for this post but I don't buy into the love-in for him. 

He scored the lowest Whoscored rating from both sides... (equal with Kodjia for the pedants). I know stats aren't everything, but it's a barometer to the performance based on what actually happened rather than opinion.

n61J4nO.jpg

When I saw Walker-Peters was starting for Spurs I thought he would of been there for the taking, in my opinion Anwar just didn't do enough, I know the support was lacking at times but he's going to have to do better and I'm sure he will.

I'm not criticising him, far from it, in fact he's one of my favourite players, his defensive work was pretty good in the main and I understand why people want to defend him, he just didn't have a good game going forwards, it happens, I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if he starts against Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

He scored the lowest Whoscored rating from both sides... (equal with Kodjia for the pedants). I know stats aren't everything, but it's a barometer to the performance based on what actually happened rather than opinion.

n61J4nO.jpg

I think I'm going to need some alone time with the stats dashboard. 

sexy marilyn monroe GIF

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He was pretty average for most of last season to be honest. I remember him having good games against Bristol City, West Brom and in the playoff final against Derby (where he was superb). Apart from that, he didn't ever stand out.
I get players are inconsistent but I've seen very little to suggest he'll ever be good enough to be a starter week in, week out in this division.

You compare him to the likes of Mings, Grealish and Mcginn who are clearly cut out for this level, there is no comparison. 

The 'love in' for him is always going to be there, he scored and was heavily involved in the win against derby sealing promotion.

Against far quicker defenders he loses a bit of shine, that's why OUR defenders are meant to offer the overlap which down the left never happened.

Yep, not one of his best games, nor a few others but it's the 1st game. If after 5 games those players dont improve swap them out 

7 hours ago, Jay.P.A said:

Think you're in the minority there mate. He was shocking towards Villa. 

In the minority of who? I haven’t seen anyone moan about the ref, apart the penalty incident. It’s too easy to blame others for our deficiencies. We were second best throughout, nothing to do with the ref. 

As for El ghazi, he had a quiet game but then in an attacking sense who didn’t. I’m still sure he’ll have a good season, I think with most he’ll have learnt a lot from this game and the intensity to have to show In the premier league 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

In the minority of who? I haven’t seen anyone moan about the ref, apart the penalty incident. It’s too easy to blame others for our deficiencies. We were second best throughout, nothing to do with the ref. 

As for El ghazi, he had a quiet game but then in an attacking sense who didn’t. I’m still sure he’ll have a good season, I think with most he’ll have learnt a lot from this game and the intensity to have to show In the premier league 

I thought the Ref was dreadful.

Agree about El Ghazi......I’d add, he’s not going to cause them many problems if he hardly gets the ball, and is all but alone when he does so.

He will flourish in the space that will be created when lesser sides double up on Jack. As he did last season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The thing with El Ghazi is that he's a confidence player. If he scored or done something good early he'll be man of the match. If it's the other way round then he could lose everything easily. 

The talent is there, and confidence is growing. Hopefully he'll have a great season ahead.

16 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

With you 100% delphinho!! 

I made a post a few days ago stating that I think it was a huge gamble not bringing in more attacking firepower in the window. I don't think El Ghazi will ever be good enough as a regular starter at this level, which is one of the reasons why I think it's a gamble not to bring people in. 

He's a decent enough squad player, come on and cause defenders problems when they are tired, but starting regularly, no chance. 

I'm very concerned we won't have enough goals, would love to be proved wrong though. Starting with a 12-0 victory over Bournemouth!!

I don’t he will be good enough to do well. I will get slated for this: he is quick but isn’t quite quick enough and just runs straight, he doesn’t have tricks, he doesn’t have a change of pace or smart passing game, goes down too easily and is a bit of a moaner and his crossing/shooting isn’t quite good enough.

I think it’s confidence, his highlights reel from a few seasons back is very good - some great goals, but in a league where he has more time. He looks as though he has the tools but we just don’t see them. As Delphinho states, he had about 3-4 very good games last season, including the final, but those aside my overall feeling was likely not being able to prosper at PL level. 

However, buying him at £8m was a no brainier, but I feel he is a squad player/back up rather than A-Game winger, and certainly not good enough to be a first teamer where we are hoping to go.

I really hope he proves me wrong.

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

I don’t he will be good enough to do well. I will get slated for this: he is quick but isn’t quite quick enough and just runs straight, he doesn’t have tricks, he doesn’t have a change of pace or smart passing game, goes down too easily and is a bit of a moaner and his crossing/shooting isn’t quite good enough.

I think it’s confidence, his highlights reel from a few seasons back is very good - some great goals, but in a league where he has more time. He looks as though he has the tools but we just don’t see them. As Delphinho states, he had about 3-4 very good games last season, including the final, but those aside my overall feeling was likely not being able to prosper at PL level. 

However, buying him at £8m was a no brainier, but I feel he is a squad player/back up rather than A-Game winger, and certainly not good enough to be a first teamer where we are hoping to go.

I really hope he proves me wrong.

He is rapid, and he has plenty of skills and can go down the line or come inside.

I think this season will be a bit of a shock to him though, workrate and not having it all his own way. Was far too eager to give up on Saturday, and go for an easy free kick.

47 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He is rapid, and he has plenty of skills and can go down the line or come inside.

I think this season will be a bit of a shock to him though, workrate and not having it all his own way. Was far too eager to give up on Saturday, and go for an easy free kick.

Not sure about rapid myself. Quick yes, but more of a good all round athlete than speed demon from what I’ve seen. Mane sterling aubameyang etc are “rapid”

21 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

n61J4nO.jpg

When I saw Walker-Peters was starting for Spurs I thought he would of been there for the taking, in my opinion Anwar just didn't do enough, I know the support was lacking at times but he's going to have to do better and I'm sure he will.

I'm not criticising him, far from it, in fact he's one of my favourite players, his defensive work was pretty good in the main and I understand why people want to defend him, he just didn't have a good game going forwards, it happens, I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if he starts against Bournemouth.

Well according to that, If I have interpreted it right......The forward department let us down......with Defence & Midfield almost equal.

Yeah, I get that.

There will be many changed opinions this season on our players when we see them up against better quality.

Its very difficult to judge them until you see them face quality opponents.

Â