Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

On 11/06/2022 at 11:22, rodders0223 said:

He's 6ft 2 and built like a brick proverbial.  He just plays 7 inches short his size.

His goals would make you think we should be able to get 6m for him but clearly we can't. Clubs aren't stupid anymore. Goals and penalty aside he can't do anything at this level.

Lol - if you only get to have two things in your locker goals and penalties are probably what you'd go for. Not sure CR7 offered ManUre much more last season. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Lol - if you only get to have two things in your locker goals and penalties are probably what you'd go for. Not sure CR7 offered ManUre much more last season. 

and that's the problem with both players, it's not the early 2000s anymore. You can't have one guy on the team that's essentially being carried.

If you don't fit a system and contribute to all facets of play you don't play.

I can't believe United are even fighting for Ronaldo. I'd have been thinking of paying him off 3 months ago to get usher in a new dawn but that's another story.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

errrrmmm, you do know that Denmark rank among top 10 in the world, only 2 places below Holland, so I guess if you thin hecan do it for denmark, he might as well do it for Holland 

Apologies, I didn’t mean to offend our Danish contingent with an offhand comment.

I was thinking more historically - the likes of a Tomas Brolin or Sergie Rebrov who looks great in an international tournament but less so in the domestic league here.

I chose those two (without a ton of thought) as representative of countries that since the 90s have always been decent enough but not top three favourites to win a World Cup.  Thus they could get to  say a semi-final with a streak of form. Nederland's have typically been something of a footballing powerhouse, and the times they don’t qualify for a major tournament are notable. They’ve also had some world class forwards. I guess over the last 30 years I’d back a player of AEG’s level to get into a Denmark squad vs a Dutch one, and hence pop up looking like a world beater for four weeks one summer.

I still look at those 11 goals in 2020-21 and still not grasping why Anwar has to go. Realise I'm WAY off the conventional wisdom on this one, but with respect it's just one of those developments  I've never quite understood. I remember when Bailey came, it seemed like he was going to improve on El Ghazi -- obviously not yet. Is it a matter of not fitting the system, or that he's still a salable asset, so there's a matter of market timing involved, too? Or it's that we're not doing wings, but can we afford to rule out wings sometimes? He's more imposing than I knew at 6'2" and 190 pounds. Will be interesting to see how he does this year. I've always liked him.   

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I feel for him . Demoted to being the only senior player in a young team at Hednesford while the rest of the squad are in Oz.

I wonder if he has pissed Gerrard off somehow as he has been all about inclusion since he came in 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I still look at those 11 goals in 2020-21 and still not grasping why Anwar has to go. Realise I'm WAY off the conventional wisdom on this one, but with respect it's just one of those developments  I've never quite understood. I remember when Bailey came, it seemed like he was going to improve on El Ghazi -- obviously not yet. Is it a matter of not fitting the system, or that he's still a salable asset, so there's a matter of market timing involved, too? Or it's that we're not doing wings, but can we afford to rule out wings sometimes? He's more imposing than I knew at 6'2" and 190 pounds. Will be interesting to see how he does this year. I've always liked him.   

i'm with you on this one tbh, i've always liked El Ghazi and one thing he is good value for is goals. Seemed to be fairly quite and decent member of the squad and can't imagine him getting on the wrong side of anyone, think it could just be a case of manager not rating him. He certainly would have got a few goals for everton in the tough run of games they had back end of last season. Both him and Trezeguet played an important part for us over the last 3-4 seasons and I personally would keep Anwar around, however it seems he will be off somewhere at some point which is sad but thats football i guess. been a good servant to the club

• Like 2

Could just be that a move is potentially close and we and he think it's better that he stays in Europe just in case something gets agreed in that regard. And he's playing today to help with his match fitness, pretty sure if he didn't want to be involved in todays game he wouldn't have to and the club wouldn't that against him, probably just being professional.

Just now, useless said:

Could just be that a move is potentially close and we and he think it's better that he stays in Europe just in case something gets agreed in that regard. And he's playing today to help with his match fitness, pretty sure if he didn't want to be involved in todays game he wouldn't have to and the club wouldn't that against him, probably just being professional.

Yeah he's played like 12 mins of football in the 2nd half of last season so needs the mins on the pitch. 

28 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's becuase he simply isn't a very good player.

20 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

i'm with you on this one tbh, i've always liked El Ghazi and one thing he is good value for is goals. Seemed to be fairly quite and decent member of the squad and can't imagine him getting on the wrong side of anyone, think it could just be a case of manager not rating him. He certainly would have got a few goals for everton in the tough run of games they had back end of last season. Both him and Trezeguet played an important part for us over the last 3-4 seasons and I personally would keep Anwar around, however it seems he will be off somewhere at some point which is sad but thats football i guess. been a good servant to the club

Well he did have an argument with Mings and Grealish that one game when he went down “injured”

13 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Well he did have an argument with Mings and Grealish that one game when he went down “injured”

Not like he started it. Mings got right into his face after dragging him up iirc. 

ironically, probably the best striker of the ball in the squad......sadly its not about, one attribute......quite a few are required at this level.

Â