Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Loan’s going well..

Lampard is taking them down. And seemingly has no interest in playing a guy that scores goals at an impressive level in this league

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Lampard is taking them down. And seemingly has no interest in playing a guy that scores goals at an impressive level in this league

Bizarre loan tbh. Would've easily slotted in for other lower table teams yet gets nothing at a team who couldn't buy a goal.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Did anyone ever think he was going to play?

I mean given the form of the pish around him he should be. I don't think it was a good move for him to go there when there was a managerial sacking afoot. 

1 hour ago, Dale said:

I mean given the form of the pish around him he should be. I don't think it was a good move for him to go there when there was a managerial sacking afoot. 

Agree with the managerial bit but isn't he competing for a start vs gray who's been their best player this season and Gordon who from the little I've seen looks like their only player who gives a shit

I like AEG but at the same time I think his goal stats have led him to be slightly overrated, I'd obviously like villa to get as much money as possible for him but at the same time I'd love it if this not getting a chance at Everton resulted in a reunion with deano and him smashing thr championship next season, especially a few goals vs bruces West brom 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Agree with the managerial bit but isn't he competing for a start vs gray who's been their best player this season and Gordon who from the little I've seen looks like their only player who gives a shit

I like AEG but at the same time I think his goal stats have led him to be slightly overrated, I'd obviously like villa to get as much money as possible for him but at the same time I'd love it if this not getting a chance at Everton resulted in a reunion with deano and him smashing thr championship next season, especially a few goals vs bruces West brom 

I mean Gray had a good start to the season but has badly tailed off. I don't think he's a world class player or anything, but the bloke was in and around the Dutch squad in the summer on merit, he's better than any amount of dross that has gone for £20M in recent years. 

I think he'd be underselling himself to end up in the Championship. He could go off an play European Football with one of the Dutch clubs. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Anwar is where we need to get better at cashing in on squad players when they peak.

Last season he was a regular, hit double figures in prem and would surely have commanded fee of 10m +.

Instead we kept him and he's barely played since September and just scored a couple of penalties.

Now can't get minutes in 17th best team in the league so we'd struggle to get more than 4-5m in summer given he's got just 12 months left.

It's not a huge problem when you're selling player for 100m but we don't want to be doing that every summer so we need to learn how to create decent surplus from fringe players who won't kick us on in the future especially if we're not in europe.

The problem may well be that he peaked as clubs were going through unprecedented financial difficulties due to the pandemic.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Anwar is where we need to get better at cashing in on squad players when they peak.

Last season he was a regular, hit double figures in prem and would surely have commanded fee of 10m +.

Instead we kept him and he's barely played since September and just scored a couple of penalties.

Now can't get minutes in 17th best team in the league so we'd struggle to get more than 4-5m in summer given he's got just 12 months left.

It's not a huge problem when you're selling player for 100m but we don't want to be doing that every summer so we need to learn how to create decent surplus from fringe players who won't kick us on in the future especially if we're not in europe.

He cost us £8mil it isn't an amount of money that really matters to us, he's done 3 seasons now come summer and whatever we sell him for will be a booked profit. We'll probably get 5 or 6mil I'd say. He's not on high wages so can go to many different leagues.

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He cost us £8mil it isn't an amount of money that really matters to us, he's done 3 seasons now come summer and whatever we sell him for will be a booked profit. We'll probably get 5 or 6mil I'd say. He's not on high wages so can go to many different leagues.

Yeah, but the point is we could have got well over double that if we'd sold him last summer, and would have missed out on absolutely nothing in football terms.

Of course it's not going to break the bank or anything, but as a club we constantly make massive losses, and our owners may not be happy to keep pouring *as much* cash into this bottomless pit forever, so we need to get better at selling players at their most valuable.

• Like 1

It's hard to tell, we'll never know what the market or demand is for him

Easy to say we should have sold him last summer for more money or from the other thread that we should have got a better deal for Targett than the loan but in reality who knows if we kept Anwar because we were short sighted or because no one wanted him and we tried to shift him and Everton on loan where he doesn't play is the only offer or slightest bit of interest we we had 

We sell him for £8m this summer, "could have sold him last summer for £15m" but to who? Never seen him linked to anyone if I'm honest 

Its not really a stick to beat the club with for me

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's hard to tell, we'll never know what the market or demand is for him

Easy to say we should have sold him last summer for more money or from the other thread that we should have got a better deal for Targett than the loan but in reality who knows if we kept Anwar because we were short sighted or because no one wanted him and we tried to shift him and Everton on loan where he doesn't play is the only offer or slightest bit of interest we we had 

We sell him for £8m this summer, "could have sold him last summer for £15m" but to who? Never seen him linked to anyone if I'm honest 

Its not really a stick to beat the club with for me

He was linked to Roma if I recall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, but the point is we could have got well over double that if we'd sold him last summer, and would have missed out on absolutely nothing in football terms.

Of course it's not going to break the bank or anything, but as a club we constantly make massive losses, and our owners may not be happy to keep pouring *as much* cash into this bottomless pit forever, so we need to get better at selling players at their most valuable.

It did for us in the Lerner era in the end, we hardly sold anyone for over 5m from 2006-10 and then went to other extreme of players sold for 10m + being our best ones so yeah trying to avoid that scenario and cash in on squad players like West Ham (30m for Haller wasn't it) and Spurs regularly do.

At least the owners won't be losing any interest in short term given the commitment to rebuilding North Stand in near future.

• Like 1

Poor Anwar. I think he'd be happier starting every week for a team like Forest, actually. A big Championship side.

Either that or a move to Italy or back to Netherlands. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Poor Anwar. I think he'd be happier starting every week for a team like Forest, actually. A big Championship side.

Either that or a move to Italy or back to Netherlands. 

or the French league where he was signed from

Â