Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Somebody would have made a bid for him if they wanted him. Everyone knew we didnt need him after we got bailey. Agreed we will be lucky to get £6m for him, he was never worth much more than that. 

Yeah, I don't think for one second that if an opportunity had come up to sell him for a half decent fee we would have declined it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Somebody would have made a bid for him if they wanted him. Everyone knew we didnt need him after we got bailey. Agreed we will be lucky to get £6m for him, he was never worth much more than that. 

Not sure on that.

Buendia was signed to play on the right so it would've been him and Traore as the options. Once Grealish left we didn't really have that many options for the left with Bailey injured so often.

I actually think Bailey getting injured on his debut straight away meant DS concluded it probably made sense to keep El Ghazi around until January as he was relatively proven in this league and he played a bit in DS final few games.

Just checked and Young started at left midfield at Watford on opening weekend which said it all. Then think El Ghazi started v Newcastle so wide options were sparse start of the season.

Think we were probably asking for 20m last summer aswell. I'm sure a few clubs would've been fine paying 10-15m.

Edited by VillaChris

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure on that.

Buendia was signed to play on the right so it would've been him and Traore as the options. Once Grealish left we didn't really have that many options for the left with Bailey injured so often.

I actually think Bailey getting injured on his debut straight away meant DS concluded it probably made sense to keep El Ghazi around until January as he was relatively proven in this league and he played a bit in DS final few games.

If this is how it went down it's still not a mistake from The Management as someone suggested.  It was necessary and circumstances just conspired against us. 

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

If this is how it went down it's still not a mistake from The Management as someone suggested.  It was necessary and circumstances just conspired against us. 

It still kind of is though. We didn't need that many right wingers. Had we bought just a single proper left winger, El Ghazi would've been surplus to requirements.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

He's SURELY a good signing for many teams. Can't believe we haven't managed to move him on permanently. 

I think he's got to accept he's just not a PL player. 

13 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Have you seen some of the wingers that play for teams near the bottom of the league? El Ghazi is definitely good enough for a starting place at some of these clubs. Probably should've been given more of a chance at Everton too, but they already had quite a few wingers anyway.

Dwight McNeil is rumoured to be a 40 million winger yet El Ghazi got more goals and assists than him last season in just 4 starts 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

He's SURELY a good signing for many teams. Can't believe we haven't managed to move him on permanently. 

I think he's got to accept he's just not a PL player. 

He has to want the move. He’s probably on relatively decent wages. 

14 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

El Ghazi is definitely good enough for a starting place at some of these clubs.

I don't know if he is. When he's on it, he can be very good. But as he's quite a timid player, when he's bad, he's horrific. So although he's without doubt a talented footballer (much more talented than Trez for example), his inconsistency makes him very hard to rely on.

IMO!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dwight McNeil is rumoured to be a 40 million winger yet El Ghazi got more goals and assists than him last season in just 4 starts 

I don't know what went on with McNeil last season but 1 assist in 38 apps (averaging over 80 minutes per app as well). WTF?

21 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't know what went on with McNeil last season but 1 assist in 38 apps (averaging over 80 minutes per app as well). WTF?

If you look at his expected assists, it's not too different to previous seasons. Just seems to be unluckier this season.

• Shocked 1

Â