Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, but the point is we could have got well over double that if we'd sold him last summer, and would have missed out on absolutely nothing in football terms.

Of course it's not going to break the bank or anything, but as a club we constantly make massive losses, and our owners may not be happy to keep pouring *as much* cash into this bottomless pit forever, so we need to get better at selling players at their most valuable.

Making losses was part of the owners plans. Buy the club cheaply and invest hundreds of millions to get us back to the top half of the league. The majority of the Ayers we've signed ate worth more than what we paid so we're in a healthy position especially as revenues have risen and will rise again.

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Making losses was part of the owners plans. Buy the club cheaply and invest hundreds of millions to get us back to the top half of the league. The majority of the Ayers we've signed ate worth more than what we paid so we're in a healthy position especially as revenues have risen and will rise again.

We've made a big loss year on year since the owners took over. Sure they didn't expect to make a profit straight away, but I feel like we should have started making money by now. 

I can't share your optimism that we're supposedly in a healthy financial position right now. Not until we start being in the green and actually start making money.

Because quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we start stagnating in the league, it'll all catch up to us.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

57 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Random little bit of info, but we haven’t had a penalty in the league since AEG scored against Newcastle in the first home game of the season. Got to be due one soon?

I wouldn't put money on it. Some teams get more spot kicks in one game than we've had all season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 19/03/2022 at 06:49, Laughable Chimp said:

We've made a big loss year on year since the owners took over. Sure they didn't expect to make a profit straight away, but I feel like we should have started making money by now. 

…the likes of Liverpool who are well run and could win the quadruple just posted a loss on the last year but you think we should be making a profit after a couple of years in the Prem…?

The money owners make back in football, if any, is increasing the value of the club. The club itself will realistically mostly be run at a loss forever.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

…the likes of Liverpool who are well run and could win the quadruple just posted a loss on the last year but you think we should be making a profit after a couple of years in the Prem…?

The money owners make back in football, if any, is increasing the value of the club. The club itself will realistically mostly be run at a loss forever.

Liverpool posted less than 5 million in losses last year. I wouldn't care if our financials are showing those kinds of numbers, but we're making many times the losses that they are at a fraction of their revenue. At some point, something's gotta give.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I think point more was they also sell squad players for decent amounts. I mean this year they'll probably sell Nat Phillips to Bournemouth for 15m or something. Joe Gomez potentially to us or somewhere else for 20m +.

We don't want to be selling whoever our best player is every few summers for 80-100m given we've seen this year it's very hard to replace them and knocks back progress by 12 months at least so would rather move on 4-5 squad players for 40-50m.

For a start I think Bournemouth and Fulham would be very interested in Kortney Hause so that's one player we've had 2-3 years good use out of and probably right time to move him on now unless Konsa gets sacrificed instead.

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Liverpool posted less than 5 million in losses last year. I wouldn't care if our financials are showing those kinds of numbers, but we're making many times the losses that they are at a fraction of their revenue. At some point, something's gotta give.

Cool, my point really was just very few people are running a football team at a profit when you said you “expected us to be making money by now” - I don’t think we will ever make money.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I think point more was they also sell squad players for decent amounts. I mean this year they'll probably sell Nat Phillips to Bournemouth for 15m or something. Joe Gomez potentially to us or somewhere else for 20m +.

We don't want to be selling whoever our best player is every few summers for 80-100m given we've seen this year it's very hard to replace them and knocks back progress by 12 months at least so would rather move on 4-5 squad players for 40-50m.

For a start I think Bournemouth and Fulham would be very interested in Kortney Hause so that's one player we've had 2-3 years good use out of and probably right time to move him on now unless Konsa gets sacrificed instead.

Yep I don’t disagree on that at all and don’t want to go further down the finances road as it’s off topic, I agree we should be trying to sell players we want to move on at the top of their value. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Hats off to Purslow and the transfer committee. They've took a double digit PL goalscorer and made him unsellable.

Pay off it is.

Much sooner bring him back in! 

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Hats off to Purslow and the transfer committee. They've took a double digit PL goalscorer and made him unsellable.

He did that himself. Problem is that people on here thought he was good when he clearly wasn't. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

He did that himself. Problem is that people on here thought he was good when he clearly wasn't. 

He was at his highest potential value in last 12 months. Somebody would have paid, now we be lucky to get 6 million for him 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Somebody would have paid, now we be lucky to get 6 million for him 

Somebody would have made a bid for him if they wanted him. Everyone knew we didnt need him after we got bailey. Agreed we will be lucky to get £6m for him, he was never worth much more than that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Its clearly a mistake from the management. Should have sold him last summer. But that’s the hesitation which will make it hard for us to progress. What would we lose by using JPB who was firing in the preseason while keeping El Ghazi as as a 4th or 5th choice. Just because we had some minor energies. So to keep a player for two games and then lose all millions for that? I can’t understand. Sell whenever the time is right. Once you bench the player he’ll lose his price. We need to know when to get rid. 
I’d sell Luiz and Watkins this summer. Next summer we might see another El Ghazi in Watkins if we bought a striker. 

When people speak about squad players, (or potentially squad players) it’s not as if they’re speaking about starters and since Grealish left, only Martinez is untouchable. Other than that we need to look at the potential added value of each players, and where are we looking to strengthen the side, and who has a good value which will only decrease and get rid. Not to wait until we bench them and teams know the we clearly don’t want them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Somebody would have made a bid for him if they wanted him. Everyone knew we didnt need him after we got bailey. Agreed we will be lucky to get £6m for him, he was never worth much more than that. 

Even before Bailey we should’ve sold if we had an offer more than 10m. 
But all of that summer he would still have had a good value.

Â