Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

I wonder if PSV would take him… as part of any potential deal for Sangare… even just on loan.

A move back to Holland would probably make sense, he needs to rebuild his career and profile. Almost crazy how much his progress or status has stalled or declined since that Everton loan… Benitez being replaced was probably the main cause of so little involvement…

I’m sure his value would have been quite decent when he went on his last goalscoring run for us… although we didn’t appear to get any offers for him (despite many of us saying that was the time to sell).

I do feel for the lad… just wished he could have progressed his game but sadly he’s not quite up to the standard and doesn’t fit in now… we all loved him after that POF performance but he never kicked on from there nor reproduced that kind of form. Truly a shame, he looked like he could be that exciting winger that could get bums off seats for us back then…

I’ve always felt he had the talent but it was his personality that held him back more than anything. As many of us have said, if he had the drive and workrate/determination of the less talented Trez (or, as usual, we could combine both players) he would be quite some player. He’s only shown short flashes but mostly disappointed or underwhelmed with attacks usually breaking down because of him or taking wild, high and wide shots when the rest of the side was trying to create some build up play or create opportunities (you could often see the frustration of his team mates).

Seems to suffer from a lack of self belief or confidence sometimes… I’m sure there are managers that could get the best/better out of him and teams that he would suit better…

Good luck to him. Hard not to feel sentimental about him, mainly because of his performances for us in the Championship. Hope things work out well for him and his family… baby on the way…

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Sorry, missed these posts. Interesting. Help me out: What's a "testimonial players?" What makes you say "half-soaked?" Just curious where you see that. 

A "testimonial" is essentially a friendly, used to be used to reward a player for their loyalty i.e 10 years.....they used to get the gate receipts, many moons ago, to help with their modest wages....but those days are long gone.

I'll try and put it another way......he seems to me a bit laid back and not full of tenacity, or urgency.

almost like "if we win we win, if we lose we lose"

Now, he may not be like that, intrinsically.....but his play suggests that to me.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

A "testimonial" is essentially a friendly, used to be used to reward a player for their loyalty i.e 10 years.....they used to get the gate receipts, many moons ago, to help with their modest wages....but those days are long gone.

I'll try and put it another way......he seems to me a bit laid back and not full of tenacity, or urgency.

almost like "if we win we win, if we lose we lose"

Now, he may not be like that, intrinsically.....but his play suggests that to me.

Great stuff. Thanks. Appreciate the insight into football history, too. Fair enough on the lack of urgency. I think I have tended to see him at his best, so I'll trust your more rounded assessment.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Great stuff. Thanks. Appreciate the insight into football history, too. Fair enough on the lack of urgency. I think I have tended to see him at his best, so I'll trust your more rounded assessment.  

Its just my opinion, others may vary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I wonder if PSV would take him… as part of any potential deal for Sangare… even just on loan.

A move back to Holland would probably make sense, he needs to rebuild his career and profile. Almost crazy how much his progress or status has stalled or declined since that Everton loan… Benitez being replaced was probably the main cause of so little involvement…

I’m sure his value would have been quite decent when he went on his last goalscoring run for us… although we didn’t appear to get any offers for him (despite many of us saying that was the time to sell).

I do feel for the lad… just wished he could have progressed his game but sadly he’s not quite up to the standard and doesn’t fit in now… we all loved him after that POF performance but he never kicked on from there nor reproduced that kind of form. Truly a shame, he looked like he could be that exciting winger that could get bums off seats for us back then…

I’ve always felt he had the talent but it was his personality that held him back more than anything. As many of us have said, if he had the drive and workrate/determination of the less talented Trez (or, as usual, we could combine both players) he would be quite some player. He’s only shown short flashes but mostly disappointed or underwhelmed with attacks usually breaking down because of him or taking wild, high and wide shots when the rest of the side was trying to create some build up play or create opportunities (you could often see the frustration of his team mates).

Seems to suffer from a lack of self belief or confidence sometimes… I’m sure there are managers that could get the best/better out of him and teams that he would suit better…

Good luck to him. Hard not to feel sentimental about him, mainly because of his performances for us in the Championship. Hope things work out well for him and his family… baby on the way…

As we move gradually in an upwards trajectory, the player attributes will need to be more.

Anwar was a decent signing for us, at a time when we was not quite as good as we are now.....This is progress, and while it can seem ungrateful to the players, who have played a significant part in our rise......its inevitable.

Its a sign the standards are rising.

I'm sure he will find his level, and I wish him well, when he leaves.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Surprised no one has come in for him.

O.k he hasn't played much in last 12 months with Everton loan flopping but he's still 26/27 with CL experience and Holland had him in prelim squad for last euros after his good season for us.

Only contract he signed for us was summer 2019 so imagine he'd be in 40k bracket which isn't that much of a stretch for many clubs here and abroad these days.

I can't believe we're valuing him at some ridiculous fee, he'll probably go for less than Trez so would assume some mid ranking euro clubs will show an interest in next few weeks. He'd certainly be a good pick up for Fulham and Bournemouth aswell, Norwich could surely afford him aswell.

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Surprised no one has come in for him.

O.k he hasn't played much in last 12 months with Everton loan flopping but he's still 26/27 with CL experience and Holland had him in prelim squad for last euros after his good season for us.

Only contract he signed for us was summer 2019 so imagine he'd be in 40k bracket which isn't that much of a stretch for many clubs here and abroad these days.

I can't believe we're valuing him at some ridiculous fee, he'll probably go for less than Trez so would assume some mid ranking euro clubs will show an interest in next few weeks. He'd certainly be a good pick up for Fulham and Bournemouth aswell, Norwich could surely afford him aswell.

Lacks athleticism and subsequently workrate.....its a huge component in todays game.

I think we will do well to unload, for any reasonable fee.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lacks athleticism and subsequently workrate.....its a huge component in todays game.

I think we will do well to unload, for any reasonable fee.

Well his trajectory a few years back was Ajax-Lille (looked at who they've sold in recent times for huge money)- and us so not too bad for lacking all that.

Feels odd no one would want him now when he hasn't played for six months when you have guys like Lingard and Alli who don't play for years and yet still in reasonable demand.

Perhaps we'll just loan him somwhere until January and then a small fee paid then if he actually plays this time.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well his trajectory a few years back was Ajax-Lille (looked at who they've sold in recent times for huge money)- and us so not too bad for lacking all that.

Feels odd no one would want him now when he hasn't played for six months when you have guys like Lingard and Alli who don't play for years and yet still in reasonable demand.

Perhaps we'll just loan him somwhere until January and then a small fee paid then if he actually plays this time.

Ajax and Lille make mistakes just like any other club......or wait for improvement that don't arrive.

He's one for varying opinions.......I don't think his movement is sufficient for top level football.

having said that.....strikes the ball really well.....but that alone is not enough for where we are going.

Edited by TRO

36 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Tbh with us selling trezeguet he will be an impact sub which I don’t mind esp with us being able to use 5 subs this season 

If he stays here then even with 5 subs he will play about as much as at Everton.

Unless everyone has an absolute stinker and then we're all in trouble.

For me he's got two problems that don't mix well. He's a confidence player and he's not a top half top Prem player.

He's got plenty of ability when you look at bottom half prem teams, but when the side is struggling his head seems to dip. In the Championship when we were on a tear he looked great - because he had the ability for that level and the confidence.

Like has been said, Europe or a top Championship club and he'd look a lot better I think.

18 hours ago, TRO said:

... .but that alone is not enough for where we are going.

That's exactly the quiet ambition I love to hear, tbh. Never going to get to Europe if we don't fuel up and point the ship in the right direction. 

• Like 1

I really like El Ghazi, always have, always will. 

Yes he's a huge confidence player but he has scored some very, very important and good goals in his time here. He should be coming into his prime now, but he's not playing enough games. I'd still keep him though, we need options to progress. 

This is where I find it interesting how players can split a fan base. People are losing their shit at the possibility of a 18 year old kid leaving yet let's write off Anwar and flog him for a few quid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I really like El Ghazi, always have, always will. 

Yes he's a huge confidence player but he has scored some very, very important and good goals in his time here. He should be coming into his prime now, but he's not playing enough games. I'd still keep him though, we need options to progress. 

This is where I find it interesting how players can split a fan base. People are losing their shit at the possibility of a 18 year old kid leaving yet let's write off Anwar and flog him for a few quid. 

I think we need to sell as I’m not sure he’ll even make our 25 man squad now but I agree he’s a good player and I’d go as far as saying he has been a great signing for us. Shame the Everton loan was such a disaster, for him and us.

• Like 1

Â