Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

10 hours ago, blandy said:

Another thing is he was hounded off social media by whoppers abusing him personally. As others have said he seems a sensitive sort of soul, so that will have hit him hard. But then Tyrone Mings also on social media posted in defence of him and against the whoppers - that kind of team-mate support matters. And then of course he scored the Pen that won the game, right at the end, at Wolves and so another boost to the confidence - he's gone (in his mind, perhaps) from being abused and unwanted, to being supported and the match winner. And he's gone on from there.

The key, I guess is maintaining the form. He's got loads of talent and perhaps needs not to just to be pushed but also "looked after" in terms of support. Some players need a kick up the backside, some need their tyres pumping.

The key will be keeping his chin up when he, and the team inevitably put in a poor showing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

5 goals in 5 games. He might win POTM. And you have to wonder if he's in the Holland picture now.

I don’t know enough about the Dutch options, but I’d be surprised if El Ghazi is particularly in the picture to be honest. 

If he has a full season of playing well, though, then who knows. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don’t know enough about the Dutch options, but I’d be surprised if El Ghazi is particularly in the picture to be honest. 

If he has a full season of playing well, though, then who knows. 

I have a close Dutch mate. He basically said that the only person in his way is Babel, but the coach likes him.

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I have a close Dutch mate. He basically said that the only person in his way is Babel, but the coach likes him.

I often forget that Babel exists or is even still playing. Seems he has been around forever, where does he play these days?

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Wow. Have the Dutch really fallen that far back that they are relying on Babel these days? I'm out of touch with international football but that really does surprise me, I would've though they would have other options. In that case AEG may well have a shot … Babel has failed twice in the PL 

It's going to be very interesting to see where this vein of form leads. Is he going to go from strength to strength? Will something happen to discourage him again and send him into a funk? 

I honestly can't believe how well he's done lately - I thought we'd probably not see him play more than garbage minutes as a late sub before selling him in January or the summer,  I never in my wildest dreams would have thought he'd go on a 5 in 5 run.

All in all, it's been an incredible turnaround and he, the staff and the squad all deserve a lot of credit for making it happen. Fingers crossed this is a watershed moment for him and he becomes the player he has the potential to be. 

• Like 1

Aston Villa's Anwar El Ghazi has topped the form chart after netting his fifth goal in as many games during a 1-1 draw at Chelsea, with 'keeper Emiliano Martinez (No 3) maintaining a lofty position ahead of team-mates Bertrand Traore (No 6) and Jack Grealish (No 13).

Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford bounced back into runner-up spot following his stoppage-time winner against Wolves, assisted by Bruno Fernandes - who held his No 6 spot for a second successive matchday.

Rank Rank change Name Club Points

Anwar El Ghazi AV

Marcus Rashford MU

Emiliano Martinez AV

Harvey Barnes LEI

Yerry Mina EVE

Bruno Fernandes MU

Bertrand Traore AV

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12169202/man-utds-marcus-rashford-runner-up-in-premier-league-power-rankings

Most in form player in the league, take a bow son.

• Like 2

On 30/12/2020 at 12:04, av1 said:

Just watched the playoff final again. What a performance for Anwar. 

I think he was MOTM in the play-off final. I've watched it numerous times and he was really impressive. In the first 20 minutes he went flying down the left wing twice, terrorising the Derby defence, dribbling past several players. He made a pass at the end of one of these runs (I can't remember if it was to Jack or Tammy) and shot just too high from outside the box at the end of the other one, very close. (At this point a non-Villa fan mate sent me a text saying "Wow this El Ghazi guy's really good!") : >  Then he was in just the right place at the right time for the goal. Then in the second half he assisted our second goal, after another mazy run, this time cutting inside. Outstanding. He played a huge part that day in us winning promotion.

Edited by robby b

Â