Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Huh? We went 441 El Ghazi on the right

Defensively that was the formation but in attack it was 4-2-1-2 with El ghazi drifting out wide. He was often on the left or the right. He had a lovely bit of play where he dribbled through 4 players on the left hand side. But he also won the free kick which we scored from and scored from the eight hand side as well. 

A classic confidence player. Got so much momentum at the moment with all the goals, and obviously buzzing off it, so has to keep playing at the moment, even if it's down the right to make space for Barkley/Grealish.

Think he's benefited from us having more possession this season - has always looked better in games where he can stay high and take on the full back. Last season was a bit of a shock to the system for him, playing on the back foot in most games, and seems like the pressure got to him a bit.

Also think it helps that he has permission to make mistakes. He's allowed to cut inside and take a shot from outside the box, and it won't be a disaster if that goes wide, because everyone's confident we'll create more chances. Not sure we played with that mentality last season.

He'll never be a terrier like John McGinn, but he does seem much more willing to fight for the ball and make the tracking runs. Credit to him and the coaching staff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's fair enough. Point is that Grealish is 10 x the footballer AEG is, and having a Jack on form in a position he thrives in is more important than what AEG can do on the left compared to the right.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn’t AEG score from the right side just 2 days ago?

He did score, but his overall play is much better on the left, much more unpredictable and hard to defend against. 

I agree Jack's best position is on the left, but he's performing very well centrally too and Ghazi's productivity from there these games justifies this change. When/if things change then underpeforming players will be dropped and those on the bench will get their chances. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think enough can be said about what that penalty and Tyrone Mings has done for him and by extension Aston Villa. The question with El Ghazi has always been about his mentality, often due to his own lack of belief in himself. 

His mates picked him up that day and he has rewarded them and us for it. 

What did Mings do? 

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After every game he seems to play I feel like doing this  🖕🏽 to a very small section of our fans. 

I also think they are waiting for him to have a bad game. 

Maybe because they know hes got it in him and not just one game but a good section of a season lol.

Truth it while he or anyone are bringing the AAA game I'm happy, but if they cant keep it up at this level for alot of the season then they should be criticised and possibly not near the first team as much.

Its upto Ghazi now to maintain this standard hes set himself up for, I am glad he did not give up..

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Maybe because they know hes got it in him and not just one game but a good section of a season lol.

Truth it while he or anyone are bringing the AAA game I'm happy, but if they cant keep it up at this level for alot of the season then they should be criticised and possibly not near the first team as much.

Its upto Ghazi now to maintain this standard hes set himself up for, I am glad he did not give up..

Fair enough. We’re all entitled to our opinions on players but I don’t think at any point have I ever thought he is ‘not fit to wear the shirt’ or felt he needs to ‘get out of a club’.

Each to their own though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough. We’re all entitled to our opinions on players but I don’t think at any point have I ever thought he is ‘not fit to wear the shirt’ or felt he needs to ‘get out of a club’.

Each to their own though. 

I or not anyone out of this club really has a right to tell him to get out of the club do they, that's for management or Smith, if he were to go its because there is a reason.

I felt like he was in danger of drifting away if not careful,  Ghazi seems to have brought some performances in at the right time. I felt if he were to carry on like he had been he would of be sold possibly in summer, but maybe that's changed now.

Theres nothing worse than seeing a player go on a bad run and having to talk about him, feeling as though he could do better but isnt. I'm happy for the fact he is doing better now as I wish that for any of our players. I just wont sugarcoat it like some do on here and make out he had the wonderful game when he didnt. We were weak on both Wings because our Wingers were not as good as previous games. Yes that could of been largely down to chelsea because they are tough to beat on any day. We will see in there next games, I hope they continue on as they have been as we need all of them to show up regularly. 

6 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I absolutely love AEG. I’ll never forget that he broke his Ramadan fast for our Championship Final. That’s a big deal.

Is it though? It's his job. Very well paid and extremely comfortable job. Might even be in his contract. 

• Sad 1

I'll reiterate his off the ball work was very good which is a part of the modern game. His goal was also very good in terms of movement positioning and awareness to see what was happening around him. Finish was good too and put it through the keeper's legs. 

Very good performance yesterday.

I'm not sure I've ever seen another player for whom confidence plays such a big part. 

It's high at the moment and long may that continue. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Is it though? It's his job. Very well paid and extremely comfortable job. Might even be in his contract. 

If you believe in an omnipotent 'man above' it's likely to mean more to you than kicking a football round so I'd say it's pretty commendable.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

If you believe in an omnipotent 'man above' it's likely to mean more to you than kicking a football round so I'd say it's pretty commendable.

I just don't. I think it's commendable when nurses go day in and out to work in covid infected hospitals. I think it's commendable that some people keep working post 65.  I think it's commendable how some people are able to work with small toddlers in day care every day without going insane. I think it's commendable when people actively work for charities and are more focused on the well being of others than themselves. I think it's commendable when societies try and integrate refugees from war torn areas and do so with little prejudice. I think it's commendable when minorities step out and make themselves heard in areas they've been stigmatised. 

I probably could sit writing that list for a week. There's lots of things I find commendable. Doing your job when called upon despite having a religious belief telling you otherwise, isn't one of them. 

If the arguement was that he had played the P.O.F. with zero food in his belly, yeah that would have been commendable cause it would have been an exceptional physical feat. But showing up for you job cause your personal convictions tell you otherwise? No don't think so. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I just don't. I think it's commendable when nurses go day in and out to work in covid infected hospitals. I think it's commendable that some people keep working post 65.  I think it's commendable how some people are able to work with small toddlers in day care every day without going insane. I think it's commendable when people actively work for charities and are more focused on the well being of others than themselves. I think it's commendable when societies try and integrate refugees from war torn areas and do so with little prejudice. I think it's commendable when minorities step out and make themselves heard in areas they've been stigmatised. 

I probably could sit writing that list for a week. There's lots of things I find commendable. Doing your job when called upon despite having a religious belief telling you otherwise, isn't one of them. 

If the arguement was that he had played the P.O.F. with zero food in his belly, yeah that would have been commendable cause it would have been an exceptional physical feat. But showing up for you job cause your personal convictions tell you otherwise? No don't think so. 

I'm not suggesting we build a statue of him.

I can be thankful for someone passing the potatoes without expecting them to solve world hunger.

It is a bit strange to me that you'd be more likely to praise him taking the risk of being sub-par in his job for undergoing fasting at Ramadan.

Â