Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

10 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Sorry but you can't really criticise El Ghazi at all. He came into the side, was excellent after a long spell out, and has played like 20 minutes since.

I love Dean Smith but for me it is poor management to chuck Barkley in so soon. a) not fit and b) has to earn his place. El Ghazi literally couldn't have done any more to keep his place. He should've won POTM ffs!

El Ghazi has to start v Southampton but won't.

There is nothing to suggest to me that we were worse with Jack in the middle. We were immense against Palace, dominant against WBA, extremely unlucky v Burnley, good against Chelsea and pretty unlucky v Man United. Unless it's COVID related it is actually pretty ridiculous he isn't in the team imo.

This x 100

whilst i agree i think you have to take in to account that we've had a tactical switch as well not just a straight player swap

its not barkley or el ghazi, its where do you put grealish and for about 5 years and 3 managers that has always been the case and will continue to be so

smith wanting to play our best player in his best position is what is putting anwar on the bench not barkley, whether or not on the left is jacks best position is something different...

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

whilst i agree i think you have to take in to account that we've had a tactical switch as well not just a straight player swap

its not barkley or el ghazi, its where do you put grealish and for about 5 years and 3 managers that has always been the case and will continue to be so

smith wanting to play our best player in his best position is what is putting anwar on the bench not barkley, whether or not on the left is jacks best position is something different...

Of course, but think it is taken into account with the point. I don't see much of a difference between Jack in the middle and left personally.

I don't really mind playing Ross against City, but then starting him again twice in a week, when we have a game every three days - surely makes sense to give El Ghazi at least one start to keep his momentum going and rest Barkley, who is not up to speed clearly.

12 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Well he failed the three opportunities he got on wednesday

He got the ball at a standstill. He doesn't have the same close control as Jack to take it past 3 players. He needs to be running when he receives the ball. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Sorry but you can't really criticise El Ghazi at all. He came into the side, was excellent after a long spell out, and has played like 20 minutes since.

I love Dean Smith but for me it is poor management to chuck Barkley in so soon. a) not fit and b) has to earn his place. El Ghazi literally couldn't have done any more to keep his place. He should've won POTM ffs!

El Ghazi has to start v Southampton but won't.

I'm not criticising El Ghazi perse. He is what he is, and what he is, is an inconsistent winger.

You've got to apply a bit of context to him being "dropped". He would obviously have started v Everton if the covid outbreak never happened as Barkley would have been so far behind him in fitness.

Since then we've had two weeks off and fitness/form has been reset so Smith went with his strongest team, personnel wise. I'd be surprised if we look better as a team with El Ghazi on the pitch than Barkley much this season.

I'd drop Barkley and play Sanson at Southampton, if El Ghazi starts hopefully he bags another.

33 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He got the ball at a standstill. He doesn't have the same close control as Jack to take it past 3 players. He needs to be running when he receives the ball. 

So, he failed then yeh.

He had a great scoring run in december  but let's be honest, he's terrible 90% of the time.

53 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

let's be honest that is your opinion, you're entitled to it but a lot of people disagree.

It's almost as though players who are inconsistent are not ever going to improve and become consistent. Or it's not possible.

14 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It's almost as though players who are inconsistent are not ever going to improve and become consistent. Or it's not possible.

exactly.

If a player is consistent to a high level week in week out, they usually will be playing Champ's league football at one of the big boys. Maybe accept for Grealish.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

let's be honest that is your opinion, you're entitled to it but a lot of people disagree.

He attempted 3 take ons against burnlry after being given the ball. 3 times he lost posession as he tried to dribble past players rather than pass. That's not opinion. Would love to say he added an extra dimension to our attack but he didnt. Dont get why your so annoyed at that. 

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He attempted 3 take ons against burnlry after being given the ball. 3 times he lost posession as he tried to dribble past players rather than pass. That's not opinion. Would love to say he added an extra dimension to our attack but he didnt. Dont get why your so annoyed at that. 

Not saying he isn't poor at times, but you are giving an example based on 7 mins (and maybe 4 mins injury time where Burnley spent most of the time running the ball into the corner flags).

I fully acknowledge he can be surly, lightweight and inaffective, but as he's a Villa player i would rather focus on the positives especially as he was performing well and scoring goals, his average match rating for the month was higher than Grealish.

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Does he start every week if you are the manager?

Depends on the opposition. He was on a hot streak so I personally would have kept him in. However now that we've signed Sanson and the fact I believe we've conceded too much space in the number 6 position I'd go 4 3 3 with Luiz at 6 and Mcginn and Sanson as the two 8's. A front 3 of Grealish, Watkins and Traore or Trezequet is the best combination in front of that 3.

So in the form he was in I'd have kept him in until Southampton as I think he's less effective from the right because I prefer two 8's and a 6 in a midfield 3. I hope that answers your question.

24 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Depends on the opposition. He was on a hot streak so I personally would have kept him in. However now that we've signed Sanson and the fact I believe we've conceded too much space in the number 6 position I'd go 4 3 3 with Luiz at 6 and Mcginn and Sanson as the two 8's. A front 3 of Grealish, Watkins and Traore or Trezequet is the best combination in front of that 3.

So in the form he was in I'd have kept him in until Southampton as I think he's less effective from the right because I prefer two 8's and a 6 in a midfield 3. I hope that answers your question.

I'd drop mcginn. Show he isn't undroppable and has to to stay fit even when he isn't getting regular game time. As it is he looks dead on his feet after 20 minutes every game and he just makes lazy and sloppy passes from that point and miskick the ball regularly. 

15 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I'd drop mcginn. Show he isn't undroppable and has to to stay fit even when he isn't getting regular game time. As it is he looks dead on his feet after 20 minutes every game and he just makes lazy and sloppy passes from that point and miskick the ball regularly. 

Christ....

Â