Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Just now, birdman said:

He has played up front before if I recall correctly 🤣 Last season when we didnt have any strikers available? I'm sure someone will confirm or deny...

Yes. Played 3 in a row. Man City Brighton Watford

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think the Targett, Barkley and Grealish connection is so good. Grealish  has to come back to the left imo. 

El Ghazi on the right 

He's nowhere near as good on the right as he is on the left though 

• Like 1

Superb again tonight, he's a man reborn.

Such a confidence player, but it helps him so much when he plays his own game. My biggest criticism of him in the Championship and last season was that he rarely took on a full back; with the skills and control he has he should be facing up players every time he gets the ball. Finally he has started doing just this.

I wouldn't change a thing on Friday, if Barkley is back then bring him off the bench for the last half an hour. Absolutely no need to rush him back and potentially unbalance a team in this form. 

• Like 1

I think if we bring back barkley we play 4-2-2-2 with El Ghazi as the 2nd striker. He was so effective in that role against Palace. Him, Jack and Ollie drift side whilst barkley stays more central.

Only issue is defensive formation because we probably want jack to stay upfield but if el ghazi covers down the left and barkley down the right it could be very effective. 

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Understandable. It felt like Palace had a player less than us

I could have sworn we were talking about last season, but yes, I'd also forgive anyone for thinking we had 15 men on the pitch against them this season.

Keeps his spot on the left.

Jack keeps his spot in the middle.

Traore/Trez fight it out for the right.

Barkley on the bench.  He's only on loan and needs to earn his place back as we've been better without him. 

If Barkley plays a blinder when Jack serves his inevitable 5 yellow one game ban, then Jack comes back in for whoever played worse and if that means Barkley middle, Jack and El Ghazi swapping sides during the game then so be it. They're both capable of playing anywhere across the three.

Great problem to have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WooJung said:

He's nowhere near as good on the right as he is on the left though 

That's fair enough. Point is that Grealish is 10 x the footballer AEG is, and having a Jack on form in a position he thrives in is more important than what AEG can do on the left compared to the right.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn’t AEG score from the right side just 2 days ago?

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's fair enough. Point is that Grealish is 10 x the footballer AEG is, and having a Jack on form in a position he thrives in is more important than what AEG can do on the left compared to the right.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn’t AEG score from the right side just 2 days ago?

we're talking Grealish, he could play CB and still be the best player on the pitch

9 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

we're talking Grealish, he could play CB and still be the best player on the pitch

I think Kenjis point is that, say, Grealish left wing is  him at 100%, and he's only at 90% in the middle. But then AEG is 100% left and 60% right. And whoever else we use is equally effective anywhere for arguments sake...

Is it better to have a 100% grealish and 60% AEG, or 90% Grealish  and 100% AEG. Kenji thinks the former.

Its a tough call given their respective average performance levels, but with AEG on 5 in 5, and Jack clearly thriving in the middle, there is no sense to change it for me.

Can't be too scientific about it while it's working. Don't break it

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

I think Kenjis point is that, say, Grealish left wing is  him at 100%, and he's only at 90% in the middle. But then AEG is 100% left and 60% right. And whoever else we use is equally effective anywhere for arguments sake...

Is it better to have a 100% grealish and 60% AEG, or 90% Grealish  and 100% AEG. Kenji thinks the former.

Its a tough call given their respective average performance levels, but with AEG on 5 in 5, and Jack clearly thriving in the middle, there is no sense to change it for me.

Jack thrived on the left as he's thriving in the middle. My point is that I'm sure he'll be just as effective on the right.

In any case I get Kenji's argument, but I don't agree as I'm more for the latter :).

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Jack left vs Jack in the middle is virtually identical imo. In fact I'd go even further and say that through the middle he has more license to roam and isn't restricted to just one side of the pitch.

• Like 1

Â