John McGinn

PompeyVillan

43 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Yet if that’s a slide tackle it’s just a yellow 

Not entirely sure what the point you’re making is.

Yes, if it was an entirely different challenge, the outcome would’ve been different.

If he made a slide tackle and won the ball, it wouldn’t have even been a foul! He didn’t do that, though. 

• Like 2

Said it was our biggest league game in recent history pre-match and post match that tackle is the furthest it can get just about from a captain's display.

Huge fan of McGinn, however considering the deficit was two goals and there was time to inspire a comeback, bitterly disappointed. I'd go as far to say it's a cop out in terms of captain's leadership. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's weird the things we get really angry about after a loss. For me I think a yellow would have sufficed, in the end, he's not kicked him and ended up pretty much just running through him, the pace both players are travelling at makes it look a little worse than it is - that said, it's clumsy and it's aggressive and it's not outlandish for it to be a red card, I don't think the ref has this 'wrong' he's just seen it a little differently to me and it's one of those that's definitely open to interpretation. I look at it and think, in the right circumstance with the right ref it'll be red, even though I personally think yellow. I don't think it's worth getting quite so excited about as this thread is.

It's not so much the challenge itself but the timing of a rash and unnecessary foul from our captain that i believe, people have every right to be looking at.

40 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Are we going to appeal?

Personally I think it's a red all day, but if a appeal is put in and rejected, will it stay as 3 games? If so we may as well

If we appeal and they class it as a frivolous then it could be increased 

Not just the three games he'll now miss, but there were 25 mins left plus stoppage time when he went, and it was 0-2 at that stage.

I know we were playing poorly that second half but I've seen us turn it on at VP plenty of times late on. Could certainly have got something with 11.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I can't believe the mental gymnastics we are doing to claim 'it wasn't a red'.

It is the reddest of red cards. It's not accidental, he's not going for the ball, intent is to 'get into him'. 

It's not badly timed, it's perfectly timed to break up spurs attack. 

John did exactly what he wanted to do. And (other than the punishment) it was the right thing to do at the time. Break them up a little. 

It's just a shame other players didn't have the fire in their bellies. 

Ederson made a similarly bad tackle to Nunez and no red card and was further from the ball

Edited by Zatman

14 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Are we going to appeal?

Personally I think it's a red all day, but if a appeal is put in and rejected, will it stay as 3 games? If so we may as well

It can be extended. It wasnt a red for me but no way they will reduce down to a yellow

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ederson made a similarly bad tackle to Nunez and no red card and was further from the ball

He was going for the ball. McGinn wasn't. Big difference 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He was going for the ball. McGinn wasn't. Big difference 

This. It was a clumsy goalkeeper challenge whereas McGinn was looking to take the man out to stop the counter. 

• Like 1

It’s just highlights in general how different interpretations can be, 50% of people see it as McGinn going for the player, 50% see it as going for the ball. 

7 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

It’s just highlights in general how different interpretations can be, 50% of people see it as McGinn going for the player, 50% see it as going for the ball. 

100% people should agree that if he was in fact going for the ball, he made a shitty job of it. And that's the bottom line. 

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's weird the things we get really angry about after a loss. For me I think a yellow would have sufficed, in the end, he's not kicked him and ended up pretty much just running through him, the pace both players are travelling at makes it look a little worse than it is - that said, it's clumsy and it's aggressive and it's not outlandish for it to be a red card, I don't think the ref has this 'wrong' he's just seen it a little differently to me and it's one of those that's definitely open to interpretation. I look at it and think, in the right circumstance with the right ref it'll be red, even though I personally think yellow. I don't think it's worth getting quite so excited about as this thread is.

I think the 5 Spurs players including the player whose career he just ended , that went after Mcginn influenced his decision tbh .. there was enough in it to mean over turning it wasn't an option 

• Like 2

IMO, it was a red.

But I've seen plenty of yellow cards given for challenges like that, so I wouldn't have been surprised to just see a booking. 

Inconsistent referees do not help in situations like this.

We move on. 

Hopefully he’ll have something to apologize the fans tonight, a good win against Ajax will help him forget what happened against Spurs and will help his teammates to believe in themselves again going into some tough fixtures.

He needs to deliver a man of the match performance today as a minimum.

Totally let down his manager, his team mates and the fans through utter stupidity v spurs. 

For me he’s playing for his position now as he turns 30 later this year and if we received a big bid from Man Utd or someone else it would be very hard to not think we wouldn’t be better by using that fee to source a younger higher level replacement and fund a big upgrade at right back as well as other key positions. 

• Haha 1

Â