John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

He needs to deliver a man of the match performance today as a minimum.

Totally let down his manager, his team mates and the fans through utter stupidity v spurs. 

For me he’s playing for his position now as he turns 30 later this year and if we received a big bid from Man Utd or someone else it would be very hard to not think we wouldn’t be better by using that fee to source a younger higher level replacement and fund a big upgrade at right back as well as other key positions. 

One slight moment of madness ever in his 200 Villa games has not put his Villa career in doubt 😂 we might sell him for FFP reasons but that is quite different than Unai kicking him out of the club

Quite fickle

• Like 4

On 24/12/2023 at 21:17, PaulC said:

For me if Dendoncker isn't able to fulfill that role then we should try and offload him in January. Else what's he there for. A few minutes against arsenal etc is not value for money for whst he is being paid. I 100% agree we need a quality backup to Kamara. We have a lot of midfield players but most of them are no. 8s not no.6s

but that's what we are doing.....playing 8's in no 6 roles....because there is a clear lack of 6's at the club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

but that's what we are doing.....playing 8's in no 6 roles....because there is a clear lack of 6's at the club.

Yes but a 6 in Emery system requires technical ability. Old fashioned for lack of better term destroyer won’t cut it .

On 14/03/2024 at 08:01, useless said:

There's no chance he will be sold, he's extremely important for the team and squad and thirty isn't old by Emery's stadards, he's said that being concerned by a player's age is more of a English football thing upon signing Moreno, if we get Champions League no way he would want to leave either as he will have finally reached that once distance dream, un peu paradoxalement, because of his age other top clubs would be less likely to be interested, or pay whatever we think he's worth

Maybe because we was brought up on intensity, pace, and urgency being prime ingredients.....However, when you see Pepe at 41 putting in those performances, maybe he has a point.

We need a few more like McGinn, not less.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes but a 6 in Emery system requires technical ability. Old fashioned for lack of better term destroyer won’t cut it .

All the top clubs have 6's with technical ability.....I wasn't suggesting otherwise....I am well aware that the game has changed, but destroying is still alive, but it doesn't have to end there.....Rice and Rodrigo do it, as do other clubs versions.

Someone, at some stage, has to go after the opposition.....and not just wait for them. I don't much care about systems,( while not dismissing them) but  the fundaments of the game, cannot be by passed, without consequences.

As we progress our ambitions, all players need to be more rounded.....being single dimensional, won't cut it, in any capacity......as an example, attacking full backs, who can't defend, won't cut it at the top level....you have to do both, like Walker, Shaw, Undogie, etc

I don't think anyone is suggesting a Nakamba, despite his ability in one context.....but it would be irrational to dismiss his prime forte, as old fashioned....He is simply not rounded enough, for where we want to go.

Stopping opponents is not old Fashioned......going after them in a manner to win the ball and turn it over, is not old fashioned......denying the opposition from mounting attacks, in transition, is not old fashioned......We need to be clear about this.

We cannot rock up at a game Home or away, and just start playing champagne football.....Wouldn't it be great if we could. There is another team, making the same preparations for games as us.....so a football team has to be balanced, for moments when we have the ball and when we don't......If we have too many players, who are just competent on the ball, but not off it, the opposition will sus that out...particularly the better teams. We can get away with it to a degree, with the lesser teams, but the better teams have to be stopped or curtailed and that's where you need competent players with the nose/ nous to do it.

CDM's need to be good readers of the game, amongst many other things.

Don't be fooled, to think stopping opponents gallop, is old fashioned.....Watch the defensive work of the top clubs, both in midfield and at the back....it's alive and kicking in modern football.

I will put my head above the parapet and say " If we ignore the merits of good defending, we will win nothing of any value"....We may have enough for the conference, but the big prizes, will elude us.

You can quote me on this......if we defy it.

PS John Mcginn, is not particularly a good defender, but he does go after opponents, with a will to stop them, or burgle the ball....I get frustrated when I see him having to be redeployed back in the double pivot, when I thought we had realised, some time ago, that is not his natural position...We keep asking him to fill in there, because we don't get the balance of the squad right, in terms of cover.

Edited by TRO

I think we will win the Europa Conference and I think we will get CL.

And I can easily see a world where John McGinn plays a couple more seasons for us then goes to win a title or two with Celtic. 

And that means I can quite easily see a world where McGinn’s career has him winning the Scottish League Cup with St Mirren, the Scottish Cup with Hibs, joining Aston Villa in the Championship, winning promotion in his first season from his goal in the play-off final, captaining the club in the Premier League and Champions League, winning a European trophy, then going back to Scotland to win the league. And along the way probably getting very close to being his country’s all-time top scorer while playing in multiple international tournaments.

Feel like in 2030 people will look at his career and say “wow I didn’t expect that in 2015.”

• Like 2

On the bright side, it’s going to be great to have him back refreshed and re-energised after the suspension… will be a massive boost and help to us as we see out the season and hopefully achieve what we want…

You just know he’s going to want to make up for it too… 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, YLN said:

Watching that mic'd up business with michael owen and Howard webb about the red vs spurs. Yeah look it's probably a red, but listening to the fourth official shouting FOUL FOUL and then the AR2 ref shouting down the mic WATCH THE REACTION. Like do you want to calm down? Why are you shouting? 

Just ramping up the noise in the ref's ear. Just seems very unprofessional and unnecessary. Yeah it was probably a red, but if it was given as a yellow i don't think anyone would have complained too much.

Hard not to give a red when the assistant refs are losing their **** minds though. 

I thought the same with another incident a few months back. The VAR officials were screaming down the line like they were personally aggrieved that people were attempting fouls, or thought they were part of a police manhunt. Completely ridiculous

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YLN said:

Watching that mic'd up business with michael owen and Howard webb about the red vs spurs. Yeah look it's probably a red, but listening to the fourth official shouting FOUL FOUL and then the AR2 ref shouting down the mic WATCH THE REACTION. Like do you want to calm down? Why are you shouting? 

Just ramping up the noise in the ref's ear. Just seems very unprofessional and unnecessary. Yeah it was probably a red, but if it was given as a yellow i don't think anyone would have complained too much.

Hard not to give a red when the assistant refs are losing their **** minds though. 

They are **** useless. Embarrassing. Not fit for purpose.

They all give a yellow for that in a City v Liverpool match. Very likely a talking to if it's first half as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YLN said:

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They are **** useless. Embarrassing. Not fit for purpose.

They all give a yellow for that in a City v Liverpool match. Very likely a talking to if it's first half as well.

i work in a safety critical environment, where clear, precise and structured communication is mandatory, ie: passing correct, steady, formulated information etc, as well as ensuing clear understandings and making sure wires arent crossed, emotions arent overtaking your comms, steady emotions etc.

Everything i hear, see etc from the VAR/Ref comms is beyond amateurish.

the story where they said they would go to the airlines to discuss comms protocols after the offside eff up (Liverpool), i honestly cant believe a professional body (FA/refs etc), didnt think of all this in advance, it shows the level of incompetence and lack of understanding of the impact of comms and VAR, any half competent professional would have put all the comms protocols, training, processes at the top of the list when introducing VAR/direct comms between parties.

its pretty shocking tbh, honestly.....coming from the background im in, i am genuinely shocked just how amateurish it all is.

i dont want to be hyperbolic, but yeah.....from the perspective i look at it, its seriously amateurish, almost to the point of negligence, the lack of foresight/management of implementing VAR effectively is just mind boggling.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, YLN said:

"Watch the reaction" 😂😂 Glad they're basing their decisions on reactions rather than the foul itself 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i work in a safety critical environment, where clear, precise and structured communication is mandatory, ie: passing correct, steady, formulated information etc, as well as ensuing clear understandings and making sure wires arent crossed, emotions arent overtaking your comms, steady emotions etc.

Everything i hear, see etc from the VAR/Ref comms is beyond amateurish.

the story where they said they would go to the airlines to discuss comms protocols after the offside eff up (Liverpool), i honestly cant believe a professional body (FA/refs etc), didnt think of all this in advance, it shows the level of incompetence and lack of understanding of the impact of comms and VAR, any half competent professional would have put all the comms protocols, training, processes at the top of the list when introducing VAR/direct comms between parties.

its pretty shocking tbh, honestly.....coming from the background im in, i am genuinely shocked just how amateurish it all is.

i dont want to be hyperbolic, but yeah.....from the perspective i look at it, its seriously amateurish, almost to the point of negligence, the lack of foresight/management of implementing VAR effectively is just mind boggling.

Beyond unprofessional.

It would be unprofessional in the back of house of a chip shop kitchen on a Saturday night - how much more in a billion dollar league.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Haha 1

The clip. 

Like @MaVilla I work in a safety critical environment where we are drilled on communication protocols.  The VAR guys could do with bringing some outside consultation in to bring them up to speed. 

I still think it was a red. 

Â