John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is he in the conversation for best signing we’ve ever made (and by ever, I of course mean since 1992)?

What I mean by this is… we sign, say, Watkins for £30m and you’re expecting big things from him, even if not immediately you’re thinking there’s something there for the future. Or with Martinez, you sign a goalkeeper from Arsenal who had a belting end of season and has a chance of being decent (even though he’s obviously amazing now)…

…but did anyone expect John McGinn to develop into one of the Premier Leagues better central midfielders and be captain of a Villa side pushing for European success and a possible CL place?

I know I didn’t. What a guy SJM is. 

Definitely best value for money.  £3m!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is he in the conversation for best signing we’ve ever made (and by ever, I of course mean since 1992)?

What I mean by this is… we sign, say, Watkins for £30m and you’re expecting big things from him, even if not immediately you’re thinking there’s something there for the future. Or with Martinez, you sign a goalkeeper from Arsenal who had a belting end of season and has a chance of being decent (even though he’s obviously amazing now)…

…but did anyone expect John McGinn to develop into one of the Premier Leagues better central midfielders and be captain of a Villa side pushing for European success and a possible CL place?

I know I didn’t. What a guy SJM is. 

Defo the best value and theres an argument for him being in the top 3 in most important of the last 20 years as well. 

He is a swiss army knife now he has learned the game from Emery. I always used to think his main skill was to cause chaos. Now he is a chameleon. One game he is  Snodgrass, the next game Petrov , and the next Grealish.  One game he can be composed and thoughtful. The next ullra aggressive and set the tone for the rest of the players. And then he can be the creative spark we need in clutch moments.

The manager puts huge pressure on his captain as whenever a key player is missing, its him he turns to , to fill that role. Even saw an interview the other day where he dreams about playing as goalie if there isnt one on the bench. 

For the price of 60 % of a Tsishbola he has been incredible.  And apart from the broken ankle he has been pretty much fit 95% of the time . 

• Like 3

I’ve always been a massive SJM, cracking player and a very humble bloke. He annoyed me with the Spurs sending off, he’s better than that. Proper captains performance today. Same again Thursday night skipper! 

Edited by WHY

Really strong today.

Everyone had to be switched on and he was leading by example throughout.

His buttocks also looked sublime.

Excellent game today. Really strong when on the ball and did a lot to blunt Arsenal’s midfield efforts. Super distribution too.

I think we probably have come to expect this of him now so he doesn’t come into contention for MOTM as much as he should..

Edited by briny_ear

Also, didn't realise how many goal contributions he'd quietly racked up this season.

10 in the league (6 goals 4 assists)

16 all comps (9 goals 7 assists)

Not bad at all.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2024 at 11:18, Jas10 said:

Really looking forward to his return..

spacer.png

He is not the most technically gifted, but his left peg is not bad at all....a bit underrated.

I think John has some William Wallace characteristics too, he inspires and resists the bully very well......he did when we beat Newcastle 3-0, he led from the front and inspired the play.....he has off days, sure.

I think John is a players, player.....they want him there.....I think the manager wants him in there too.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

He is not the most technically gifted, but his left peg is not bad at all....a bit underrated.

I think John has some William Wallace characteristics too, he inspires and resists the bully very well......he did when we beat Newcastle 3-0, he led from the front and inspired the play.....he has off days, sure.

I think John is a players, player.....they want him there.....I think the manager wants him in there too.

The heartbeat…

or energy core…

of our side.

• Like 2

On 15/04/2024 at 01:22, DJBOB said:

Turns out, John can play in the double pivot when needed!

yeah.....I thought he struggled a bit with Dougie, under Dean Smith

but that was top drawer with Youri, on Sunday.

I think he is a better, overall player now, and has the benefit of Unai's directorship.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

yeah.....I thought he struggled a bit with Dougie, under Dean Smith

but that was top drawer with Youri, on Sunday.

I think he is a better, overall player now, and has the benefit of Unai's directorship.

No doubt… Unai has massively improved him (not the only one, it’s what he does).

Last season, John and Ty were commenting how they wished they had received this level of coaching and management earlier in their careers…

The composure in possession and quality and consistency of pass are the major weapons that have been added to his *ahem* arsenal…

He also possesses the same drive, determination and energy as ever… just a much better and more intelligent player now, what is his ceiling?

He’s also one who is humble and happy enough to go “under the radar” and just get on with his work and helping the team… it’s all about winning. 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 14:06, Tom13 said:

Also, didn't realise how many goal contributions he'd quietly racked up this season.

10 in the league (6 goals 4 assists)

16 all comps (9 goals 7 assists)

Not bad at all.

I said that him and Luiz should be after 20 each in all comps back in Oct. Well on the way.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 02:22, DJBOB said:

Turns out, John can play in the double pivot when needed!

He did that for a run of games last season when Kamara was injured when we went unbeaten for however many games that was and was also very good 

Â