John McGinn

PompeyVillan

6 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Great character and has had some great games this season but, I think he's been in pretty poor form since he came back from the ban. 

Apart from Sunday, presumably?

9 minutes ago, brommy said:

My memory is that he's been back for 4 games and been great in two and not great in two. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Great character and has had some great games this season but, I think he's been in pretty poor form since he came back from the ban. 

He was bloody brilliant on Sunday. Not too shabby against Arsenal too.

Apart from that, yeh…

13 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

He’s had one dodgy game against Lille in which they were all crap.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rolta said:

My memory is that he's been back for 4 games and been great in two and not great in two. 

That's very fair to say. I was quoting @avfc1982am saying 'he's been in pretty poor form since he came back from the ban' which seemed a strange thing to highlight after the great game McGinn had on Sunday. Perhaps erratic form, although I'm hoping his last game is a sign that he's settling back into his best.

9 hours ago, brommy said:

No I didn't think he was great on Sunday and certainly not on the level of Teilemans or Rodgers in midfield.  Lost the ball in dangerous areas a couple of times, gets smothered trying to dribble or turn out in tight areas and his passing hasn't been great either. 

He's had great games this season, and a fans favourite but I don't think he's been playing well at all recently. It's just my opinion

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

No I didn't think he was great on Sunday and certainly not on the level of Teilemans or Rodgers in midfield.  Lost the ball in dangerous areas a couple of times, gets smothered trying to dribble or turn out in tight areas and his passing hasn't been great either. 

He's had great games this season, and a fans favourite but I don't think he's been playing well at all recently. It's just my opinion

He’s the first name on the team sheet. 

Just now, avfc1982am said:

It's definitely a game of opinions.👍

Yes, Sunday wasn't a perfect game from McGinn but I thought he played very well overall. I watched a few Bournemouth fan channel reactions to the game on YouTube. A couple highlighted McGinn as playing 'fantastic'. Again, all just opinions.

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Only because he's the current captain. 

I respectfully disagree. McGinn brings us so much. He’s different to Tielemans, Kamara and Luiz. He has bite, desire, energy and leadership. 

Whether he plays on the left, right or in the middle, we’re a much better team with McGinn in it. 

Martinez, Konsa, Watkins and McGinn are vital to us in every match. 

• Like 3

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I respectfully disagree. McGinn brings us so much. He’s different to Tielemans, Kamara and Luiz. He has bite, desire, energy and leadership. 

Whether he plays on the left, right or in the middle, we’re a much better team with McGinn in it. 

Bang on Delphino…

this time…

😆

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brommy said:

It's definitely a game of opinions.👍

Yes, Sunday wasn't a perfect game from McGinn but I thought he played very well overall. I watched a few Bournemouth fan channel reactions to the game on YouTube. A couple highlighted McGinn as playing 'fantastic'. Again, all just opinions.

That's all it is. 

I think as fans we also need to be realistic in the long term... Not just possibly about McGinn but potentially other players that are fan favourites in the squad. The team/squad if we eventually want to get closer to the top of the table and be in the CL on a regular basis that's going to require a few upgrades across the board over the next 2-3 years.

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He does bring all those attributes you mention.....however, and the same goes for the other players you've mentioned, if this team is to go onto another level under Emery..... which he'll demand by the way, then we will need either the players to bring more to the table or bring in players that do. That's just a cold hard fact. 

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

He does bring all those attributes you mention.....however, and the same goes for the other players you've mentioned, if this team is to go onto another level under Emery..... which he'll demand by the way, then we will need either the players to bring more to the table or bring in players that do. That's just a cold hard fact. 

Hmmm. Again, not sure I agree. Tielemans, Luiz and Kamara, one could argue, are quite similar. All very good players who are comfortable on the ball and very quick to see a pass that can hurt the opposition. All three also seem unfazed when being pressed. McGinn, for me, is different. He's the only one who can really use his body as a weapon, he charges around flying into tackles and he brings an energy the others don't. Again, I'm not commenting on who is the best player of the 4 in question or even who is better than who, I just feel McGinn brings something our team needs and perhaps we lack when he's not on the pitch.

Put it this way, I think we'll really miss McGinn when he's gone and we may not realise just how good of a player he really is. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Hmmm. Again, not sure I agree. Tielemans, Luiz and Kamara, one could argue, are quite similar. All very good players who are comfortable on the ball and very quick to see a pass that can hurt the opposition. All three also seem unfazed when being pressed. McGinn, for me, is different. He's the only one who can really use his body as a weapon, he charges around flying into tackles and he brings an energy the others don't. Again, I'm not commenting on who is the best player of the 4 in question or even who is better than who, I just feel McGinn brings something our team needs and perhaps we lack when he's not on the pitch.

Put it this way, I think we'll really miss McGinn when he's gone and we may not realise just how good of a player he really is. 

Yes he compliments the silky players perfectly and is very skilful in his own right. He just has that hustle that dog in him which makes everyone around him better .

22 hours ago, Jas10 said:

how about we dont put pressure on ourselves, lets just do our business and not worry about whats next,

every time we have done it this season (spoke about expectations/wanting to do X or Y), we effed up. (ie: the twice we could have gone top etc etc)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

how about we dont put pressure on ourselves, lets just do our business and not worry about whats next,

every time we have done it this season (spoke about expectations/wanting to do X or Y), we effed up. (ie: the twice we could have gone top etc etc)

I think mcginn especially benefits from being more relaxed going into games. Like you said, performances seem to drop when a game gets overly hyped.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just feel McGinn brings something our team needs and perhaps we lack when he's not on the pitch.

Weight. Mass. Ass. Beef. Irn Bru.

He'll be playing 35+ games for us for the next two seasons under Emery. No doubt.

Â