John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

It seems that we're pretty low down in tackling stakes this season - that's not a slight on McGinn, merely a style observation - as our top two tacklers are Cash and McGinn, both averaging 2.1 per game, which is joint 44th. I wonder if that's a conscious effort to be a team that doesn't get stuck in but pressures more to force errors? 

Statistically, we've never been a high tackling team in the PL with Smith but yeah, its decreased even more this season. We've won the joint least amount of tackles out of anyone this season, a statistic that would probably make someone like TRO tear his hair out. Almost everyone from last season's tackling numbers are down compared to this season. Targett's numbers in particular as I mentioned in the Targett thread have dropped off a cliff.

But its probably not because of us pressuring more. We've been averaging less pressures this season than last season.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

7 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Was really good vs Wolves but at fault for the first goal today (although why he is marking someone clearly much bigger than him I don't know) and gave the ball away for the third goal.

Hopefully back to his best in our next game.

I don't think he was particularly at fault for the first goal today, but his efforts in trying to defend it were awful (ducking?!).  100% at fault for Arsenal's third, though.

• Like 1

Sub 75% passing accuracy (again)

For all his other good traits, this is a severe handicap to both him and the team

'Good' sides will be fielding midfields where all players have 80%+

We are never going to be able to regularly control games unless he improves his passing; if he cant, he needs to be replaced

• Like 1

He's such an important player, but that's a bit of a problem because when he's shit he tends to be really shit, and so does everyone else. Interviewed for Villa TV this week, he talked a lot about how disappointed they all were with last weekend, so I have to say I expected a bit of a bounceback, not a complete clownshow. Two embarrassments in a row then I guess.

He's flitting between brilliant and awful in every match. Some of his turns in tight spaces today were sublime, but his passing was so poor. (However, no worse than anyone else - would love to see how low our completion stats in Arsenal's half were today)

I wish he would stop his reverse, chipped passes though. They're shit all the time.Very frustrating.

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

McGinn has been his usual inconsistent self this season.

Some good displays and then a few very bad ones, tonight was another unfortunately.

I think the third goal was a result of his giving the ball away.

Yes it was his fault , very poor pass then tracked ESR for 10 yards then stopped and restarted but to late by then , absolute dog turd

10 hours ago, lexicon said:

Atrocious display today - hope he reverts to the form of the last few games next time out. 

thats the problem though, he's really really inconsistent, gives an 8 then follows it with 2 or 3 4's.

I think i am coming to the conclusion he isnt good enough, he gets dispossessed easily, passes wildly at times, and a lot of the time cant complete a 5 yard pass.

And not jumping for Arsenal's goal, tbh it was worse than that, he flippin ducked....DUCKED!, then that pass for the other goal?!?!

Not good enough, but unfortunately time has proven McGinn cant be touched, he is nailed on no matter what he does, great message to send to the squad.

Unfortunately i feel like John is a significant problem. He inconsistency tends to be the reflected by the team performance. Plays well and team plays well, plays poorly team goes to s*it. He sets the pace/standard of the match for us.

At a Spurs, Arsenal, west ham and clubs we aspire to match, reality is he would probably be on the bench often, for us he is a guaranteed starter. 

I real like him, love it when he’s good but if we want to be a Euro place team, truth is we need better, or he needs to be consistent 4 games out of 5, not 1  or 2 every 5

So the performance from last week was a flash in the pan and yesterday was what he has usually produced whilst being in the Premier League.

Finally others are wising up to what I've been saying for nearly two seasons. Good performances are a rarity from him. He even when playing well let's people run off the back of him.

Smith-Rowe goal is what he does on most occasions. He tracked then stopped then had to waste so much energy chasing back whereas had he kept jogging he would have been level at least when the ball was played.

It seems his running around for 60 minutes and getting his arse out is what qualifies him as a top player. Reality is he's one of the main reasons we lose the ball so easily.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

So the performance from last week was a flash in the pan and yesterday was what he has usually produced whilst being in the Premier League.

Finally others are wising up to what I've been saying for nearly two seasons. Good performances are a rarity from him. He even when playing well let's people run off the back of him.

Smith-Rowe goal is what he does on most occasions. He tracked then stopped then had to waste so much energy chasing back whereas had he kept jogging he would have been level at least when the ball was played.

It seems his running around for 60 minutes and getting his arse out is what qualifies him as a top player. Reality is he's one of the main reasons we lose the ball so easily.

Perhaps the biggest pile of shit I've ever read on here. 

It was a bad game for the whole team, get over it. 

He's been our best player all season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Steero113 said:

Perhaps the biggest pile of shit I've ever read on here. 

It was a bad game for the whole team, get over it. 

He's been our best player all season. 

He gives the ball away too much.

Prove that statement wrong.

Â