John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, sne said:

Very useful squad option but he's not someone you'd want to have a lot of the ball or to be carrying the ball during build-up. 

Yesterday the team had a passing % of 72. That's just abysmal. Our 2 CM's Nakamba and McGinn had 72% and 76%, how are you supposed to build anything with numbers like that?

JWP and Romeo had 91% and 80% in comparison

Romeo and JWP get on the ball. Turn, look, adjust body position, go different direction,  looks for options, assess, pass the ball, move into position to receive ball again if necessary.

Mcginn receives ball. Stand still wait for contact, fall down or option b....get ball out of feet and spank it 70 yards.

Do not in any circumstance pass the ball 5 yards and move and keep it or try and build anything.

He's absolute shite.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Romeo and JWP get on the ball. Turn, look, adjust body position, go different direction,  looks for options, assess, pass the ball, move into position to receive ball again if necessary.

Mcginn receives ball. Stand still wait for contact, fall down or option b....get ball out of feet and spank it 70 yards.

Do not in any circumstance pass the ball 5 yards and move and keep it or try and build anything.

He's absolute shite.

Yeah he needs the ball in front of him facing the opponents and run with it. He's absolutely not someone who should receive the ball in the middle of the pitch and be expected to create something.

He gets the ball, puts his a** out and then that's it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Very useful squad option but he's not someone you'd want to have a lot of the ball or to be carrying the ball during build-up. 

Yesterday the team had a passing % of 72. That's just abysmal. Our 2 CM's Nakamba and McGinn had 72% and 76%, how are you supposed to build anything with numbers like that?

JWP and Romeo had 91% and 80% in comparison

Yes its all a bit too direct, looking for that killer ball. is it McGinn or is that what Smith and Shakespeare want him to play 

35 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's absolute shite.

That's harsh. He's usually competent at defending (though he has been out of sorts the past couple matches), and he has a knack of getting into good positions to score. But he's not a good passer. When he's alongside Nakamba, who also can't pass very well, it's no wonder we have trouble advancing the ball.

• Like 1

Massively frustrating and annoying player.

Poor on the ball, clumsy, sloppy, slow. Poor touch, loses possession cheaply. Terrible and wasteful in possession.

The odd positive performance and he is lauded as though he’s a genuine star… yes he’s great when he plays well and can be an asset but it’s few and far between. He is technically poor, he’s just “loose” as a player.

Chase and harry, nick the ball. That’s his strength but he is poor on the ball. His passing and shooting is poor and inconsistent. I do think he is overrated.

Ok I’m pissed off and frustrated and maybe being reactionary but for someone so highly regarded he doesn’t half play like utter shit at times…

We are hopeless in possession. Can’t even hold onto the ball and build patterns of play, we’ve resorted to hoofball again and John is a huge culprit. Wasteful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He's absolute shite.

I can’t really disagree with any of this.

Southampton embarrassed us with how comfortable they were in possession and how utterly shameful we were and have been…

Dying for the day when we can actually hold onto the ball and dictate possession… am I dreaming?

I absolutely cannot stress this enough Dean, John McGinn cannot and must not play in a midfield 2. It is absolutely farcical and you are not only ruining his career, you are going to give me an aneurism. 

Play the guy in a 3 and he invariably performs and is often our most important player. I cannot for the life of me begin to understand how an idiot like me can see that yet a bloke who is paid million to make these decisions cannot. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Persisting with certain players (mainly McGinn) are whats cost him his job. He's not been ruthless enough.

Whilst I agree, especially the refusal to sub him off in previous years when he was blowing hard in the first half let alone the 2nd but far too often it was mcginn or who?? Nakamba? One of the kids? The options aren't there half the time 

But mcginn is the epitome of smiths villa, no consistency at all, you never know which one will turn up 

Â